America: The Trump Era

Civics, civilly. Post lifetime is 6 months.

Postby mobius006 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:51 pm

gorkie wrote:Actually on the ballot?

WTH?

Proposal to split California into three states makes November ballot

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/proposal-spli ... ories.html

Dude paid something crazy high per sig to get it on there. Sadly in our climate i fear this has a chance.
mobius006
Art Freak

Liberal Democratic - Print Conservative: Pro Government Regulations, Anti Reprints and Timed Editions.

Postby Codeblue on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:00 pm

I couldn't believe it either. No way it passes. Right? Right?!
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby letstalkprints on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:06 pm

even tho its on the ballot and even if voters go for it there are a bunch of hoops to go through, will go through congress, republicans will fight like hell to make sure doesn't go through to prevent 4 additional democratic senators from the cali territory
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.

Postby desch on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:13 pm

The Republican party's dead! Long live the Republican party!

‘This is the new Republican Party’
The final GOP holdouts to Donald Trump whimper into oblivion.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/ ... nce-644721
desch
Art Expert

mistersmith wrote:X, delete your account. Seriously. We're tired of your horseshit. Leave EB. Either that, or realize you've been fooled, utterly and entirely, because you're a paranoid coward.

Postby letstalkprints on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:19 pm

didn't read the whole article but Corker is leaving office so he has nothing to lose, republicans benefiting from riding trumps coattails are the winners of the primaries, does not mean will help them in general election, some will have to walk back a bit, and there is still a lot that can happen between now and then
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

Postby desch on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:41 pm

You should read the article. It doesn't make the case that Republicans are going to win in November because of Trump. It's main point is to say that the party is/has been remade in his image. That many truly conservative principled Republicans are leaving the Republican party, and that those conservative principles are not really what the party stands for anymore. I believe that many of the people winning Republican primaries now, believe in Trump/Bannon principles; not necessarily a winning formula for a general election, but we'll see...
desch
Art Expert

mistersmith wrote:X, delete your account. Seriously. We're tired of your horseshit. Leave EB. Either that, or realize you've been fooled, utterly and entirely, because you're a paranoid coward.

Postby letstalkprints on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:58 pm

yes, you're last point is what i was alluding to. you're right that a lot of newcomers coming in with McCain, corker, paul ryan, going out. most politicians do whatever they can to get into office and stay in office so if they think riding the trump train will work many will try, some have succeeded at least in the primaries, again different story in the general election, but i remember the tea party coming in as the "new republicans" and im sure there are more but the only one i can think of that is somewhat relevant is rand paul who dissents at times but does little else. i get the gist of the article from your summary so thanks, will take a look at it a bit later
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

Postby fredo on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:01 pm

Pisses me off that Dump is lending an air of respectability to these assholes whining about "where mah pahty dun gone?!?!?"

"Honest conservative principles" is a chimera. Pretending Dump's only recently given them a bad name is hysterical.
fredo
Art God

just a foil for me today, thanks

Postby letstalkprints on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:05 pm

chimera, word of the day
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

Postby fredo on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:12 pm

Codeblue wrote:I couldn't believe it either. No way it passes. Right? Right?!

There's no chance that a state gets away with unilaterally subdividing itself into more states. It's like the "right" to secede - ya don't have it.
fredo
Art God

Postby letstalkprints on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:15 pm

well it has happened, but that was a long time ago, not going to happen again, more likely that Puerto Rico becomes a state (not in this administration but hopefully one day)
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

Postby fredo on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:30 pm

No it hasn't.
fredo
Art God

Postby letstalkprints on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:39 pm

You are right, although West Virginian's voted for statehood in 1861, it was not until 1863 that it was "unilaterally" recognized.

"In order to give West Virginia statehood a legal ediface (sic), the consent of the Restored Government was of paramount importance. Article 4, section 3 of the Federal Constitution provides that 'no new state shall be formed'"
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

Postby fredo on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:15 pm

FYI - placing quotes around a word doesn't automatically make it mean what you want it to.
fredo
Art God

Postby letstalkprints on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:22 pm

No intention of redefining a word, just referencing it to your previous post as confirmation, i.e. extra emphasis
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

PreviousNext

Return to Politics