America: The Trump Era

Civics, civilly. Post lifetime is 6 months.

Postby gorkie on Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:25 pm

boofing.JPG
boofing.JPG (53.5 KiB) Viewed 669 times
gorkie
Art Freak

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram

Postby jjttdw on Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:47 pm

I like beer.
jjttdw
Art Expert

NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart

Postby fredo on Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:48 pm

They didn't call him Cavemanaugh for nuthin!
fredo
Art God

just a foil for me today, thanks

Postby desch on Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:18 pm

I guess we can disregard the "notion" that the Republican party won't abuse power. :roll:

McConnell changes course after opposing SCOTUS nominees in presidential election year
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/07/politics ... index.html
desch
Art Expert

mistersmith wrote:X, delete your account. Seriously. We're tired of your horseshit. Leave EB. Either that, or realize you've been fooled, utterly and entirely, because you're a paranoid coward.

Postby chalkdust on Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:31 am

lol at Nikki Haley quitting
chalkdust
Art Expert

Postby chalkdust on Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:28 pm

this is fantastic.. :rolling:

chalkdust
Art Expert

Postby gorkie on Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:35 pm

Bought and paid for. Just like Dump.

Lindsey Graham Received Campaign Donations From Firm Tied To Russian Oligarch

https://mavenroundtable.io/theintellect ... 1HgaF2sag/
gorkie
Art Freak

Postby gorkie on Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:20 am

POS.JPG
POS.JPG (112.57 KiB) Viewed 422 times
gorkie
Art Freak

Postby gorkie on Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:42 pm

Malaria apparently wants victims to show up with spooge on their face in order to be believed.

Melania Trump says women 'need evidence' if they say they're victims

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/10/politics ... index.html
gorkie
Art Freak

Postby bubbie on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:55 am

Smart man we had as our prime minister a quarter of a century ago (shiiiit, time flies).

Chretien says rise of 'unspeakable' Trump marks end of the American empire (complete article below)

The last two-three paragraphs are particularly interesting in regards to Supreme Court appointments.

Jean Chretien says Donald Trump is "unspeakable" and his rise to the U.S. presidency heralds the decline of the American empire.

Chretien unleashes that unflattering opinion of Trump in a new book of anecdotes from his 10 years as Canada's prime minister.

Although it's entitled "My Stories, My Times," Chretien, who retired from politics in 2003 after winning three majority mandates, does not shy away from opining on current events -- most notably on Trump.

In the preface, Chretien says writing the book over the past year helped him recover his serenity when he got "tired of observing the surrealist vagaries of President Trump and of listening to his nonsense."

"It's been very sad to observe the monumental error our neighbours to the south made in November 2016," he writes in a later chapter, in which he recounts happy times he and his wife, Aline, have spent with former U.S. president Bill Clinton and his wife, Hillary, who was defeated by Trump.

"I fear that Hillary's defeat, and the arrival of the fanatical Trump, mark the true end of the American Empire. You can understand why Aline and I are so happy to have the Clintons as friends, and almost as proud to be removed as far as possible from the unspeakable Donald Trump."

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau -- aware that it doesn't take much to set off the mercurial president, who is not above threatening to wreak economic "ruination" on Canada -- has always been very guarded in speaking about Trump. But Chretien, now 84 and still active as a lawyer with Dentons, is not so constrained.

In an interview about his new book, Chretien elaborated on his view that the American empire is on the decline.

"You know, you see the emergence of the Chinese and the decline of America," he told The Canadian Press.

"When I'm travelling the world, I feel that their influence is going down very rapidly."

Chretien said the protectionist, America-first Trump administration is trying to break the international order "that has created prosperity around the world since the (1940s)" and is causing concern among traditional allies as the U.S. withdraws from the Iran denuclearization agreement, among other international pacts.

"If you want to be in isolation, that's fine. But you have less influence."

The rise and eventual fall of superpowers is natural and inevitable, Chretien added.

"You know, empires disappear. A lot of people are nostalgic about the British empire. A lot of people in France still dream of Napoleon; he's dead since a long time. Life is like that."

Chretien also weighed in on the renegotiation of the North American Free Trade Agreement, which Trump has renamed the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement. The 14 months of tortuous negotiations and repeated threats by Trump to rip up NAFTA and impose ruinous auto tariffs on Canada turned out to be "a lot of talk for nothing," he said.

"He changed the name and not much else," Chretien said, adding that the NAFTA partners made "a little bit of an adjustment but basically we still have a free trade agreement with them that will work about the same way that it was working before."

In the book, Chretien says last year's white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Va., "exposed to us the true face of Donald Trump."

The rally was staged ostensibly to protest the removal of Confederate symbols but white nationalists and other far-right extremists chanted racist and anti-Semitic slogans and carried guns and Nazi symbols. Violent clashes with counter-protesters erupted, leaving one woman dead.

Trump refused to explicitly denounce the white supremacists, choosing instead to condemn hatred and bigotry "on many sides" and claiming that there were "very fine people on both sides" of the clashes.

While Chretien writes that no country is immune to "backsliding where social values are concerned" and Canada must remain vigilant, he said in the interview that Canada has avoided the kind of polarization plaguing the U.S. because "we have much better institutions."

For example, he pointed to the heavily politicized appointment process for judges in the U.S., where the recent confirmation of Trump Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh became a circus amid accusations of sexual misconduct when he was a teenager. The judicial system in Canada has remained largely untouched by politicization.

"I never knew if the chief justice voted for me and I never asked her," Chretien said, referring Beverley McLachlin whom he named chief justice of the Supreme Court of Canada in 2000. She retired last December.

In other Chretien related news (luls),

Chrétien says Americans made 'a monumental error' when they elected Donald Trump

One day before Chrétien's book comes out, recreational marijuana use will become legal in Canada. "I never tasted that, I don't have a clue what it is," he says as soon as the topic is raised.

But 20 years ago, Chrétien knew enough about it to conclude that smoking marijuana should not be a crime.

"I was for decriminalization. I was not, at that time, for legalization. I thought for a kid having smoked a joint and to have a criminal record forever, it was unreasonable."

Chrétien's government introduced a bill in 2003 to decriminalize simple possession of marijuana, but the bill died before a final vote.
Chrétien jokes that he once told a fellow leader visiting Rideau Hall that Canada "is run by women," explaining that, "The governor general is [Adrienne] Clarkson, the [Supreme Court] Chief Justice is [Beverley] McLachlin, and my wife!"

But jokes aside, he admits it was important to him that women were elevated to higher positions.

"Yes. Yes, yes. But first they had to have the competence," he said.

As justice minister in 1982, he announced the appointment of Bertha Wilson as the first female justice to the Supreme Court. He followed that up in 2000 as prime minister, by nominating the first female chief justice, Beverley McLachlin.

"I'm happy that Wilson turned out to be a great judge and the chief justice was extremely respected. So I cannot complain."
The day before Chrétien spoke to CBC News, Donald Trump stood in front of a crowd in Southaven, Miss., and mocked the Senate committee testimony of Christine Blasey Ford, who says she was sexually assaulted by Brett Kavanaugh decades before he was nominated to sit on the U.S. Supreme Court.

"Come on," Chrétien said, shaking his head. "I would not be proud if my prime minister would have done something like that."

His words are sharper in his book. He calls Trump "fanatical," and says Americans made "a monumental error" when they elected him.

"But," he said, "they have to live with it."
bubbie
Art Expert

Postby gorkie on Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:06 am

Fun facts!

-The U.S. Federal Government's annual interest expense on our debt will surpass our entire military budget per year by the year 2023.
-Our annual interest expense on U.S. debt is the size of the entire economy of Belgium.

Go tax cuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Dump.JPG
Dump.JPG (48.02 KiB) Viewed 296 times
gorkie
Art Freak

Postby sixstringer on Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:05 am

It's fudge like this that has me quite concerned for Nov. 6.

Report: Georgia's Secretary of State Is Blocking 53,000 Voter Registrations as He Runs for Governor

http://time.com/5421332/georgia-brian-k ... -governor/

P.S. Hyphenated last names :roll:
sixstringer
Art Expert

Postby gorkie on Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:40 pm

ill.JPG
ill.JPG (93.43 KiB) Viewed 236 times
gorkie
Art Freak

Postby misterx on Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:35 am

Imagine if it had been Iran that had kidnapped a journalist, murdered him then disposed of the body.

Imagine the US outcry.

If it’s Saudi Arabia, with their $110 billion account to buy death from the US, It is clear the response is somewhat different.

America was For Sale under Obama. It continues under Trump. The hypocrisy is deafening...

Here’s a photo of Saudi Arabia, given its gruesome newsworthiness, taken from the beach we are currently holidaying at...

560E4B9C-E353-4AED-89FE-BF5405EC4FEB.jpeg
560E4B9C-E353-4AED-89FE-BF5405EC4FEB.jpeg (248.97 KiB) Viewed 184 times
misterx
Art Expert

"CNN are doing spot on and accurate reporting..." Gorkie!!

Postby gorkie on Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:31 am

Somebody doesn't know what the hell they are talking about again.

But super good attempt at trying to act like you are worried about the lives of others! As your beloved King Turdnugget (Putin), has now supported/sponsored the assassination of a grand total of almost 500,000 human souls in Syria.

Keep up those heartfelt feelings, though!

gorkie
Art Freak

PreviousNext

Return to Politics