2024 Rotten Oscars

That's right folks! They're just giving them away!
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:46 pm

arkeiper wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:04 pm
Big Thanks to RottenAtom and everyone contributing. Cheers :pint:
Cheers arkeiper and good luck! :pint:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:48 pm

middayshadows wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:44 pm
Wow , blink and it's the night before showtime!
RottenAtom wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:21 pm

Cheers,midday! :pint: What's left? What were some of your favorite movies?
Oppenheimer was the last one. I watched it that night. Sparing a lengthy review I liked it but might have like it more on the big screen.

Definitely have a few I'm very enthusiastic about though! Anatomy Of A Fall, amazing acting, dog and human alike. The Holdovers, I loved. And Zone Of Interest . Masterful, I can't say enough how impressive it is. But a very very difficult watch :shock: .
I still haven't made my picks and I'm a bit reluctant to do so because I'm not crazy about selecting Oppenheimer a dozen times. I saw it in the theater and I think it's well-made, but I also think it's crazy overrated and it benefited from a ridiculous marketing campaign by a super thirsty Hollywood/press network that was desperate to get butts in seats.

Zone of Interest has a clever approach, but man, I couldn't wait for that movie to be over! I feel like I've seen enough holocaust and war movies for a lifetime and only watched it because I felt obligated, and kind of like Son of Saul, it's like "why am I watching this???" Not the way I want to spend my precious time on this Earth. You know exactly what it's going to be going in and yes, its intentionally super uncomfortable, but it feels more like low-hanging fruit than art to me.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:04 pm

jackietreehorn wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:42 pm
What are the rules again?

I always forget to make my picks. Thanks for doing this!
Hey jackie,

You're all set. A contestant just has to meet the eligibility requirements (100 posts or 1 year on EB), make their picks on the run your pool site, and have a movie-related post in this thread before showtime. Good luck!

ArchibaldTuttle
Art Expert

Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:36 pm

Made my very poorly-informed picks and have a bottle of bubbly ready to go (for during the show, not like anticipating a win here lol). See y’all shortly!
CSmiley317
Art Enthusiast

Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:33 pm

Let’s goooo. Thanks again Rotten!
Good luck everyone!
abstractlyput
Art Enthusiast

Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:17 pm

RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:32 pm

Picks are in! Toughest categories were animated, costume, and some of the shorts. Didn't realize The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar had been nominated. Sweet
ArchibaldTuttle wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:36 pm
Made my very poorly-informed picks and have a bottle of bubbly ready to go (for during the show, not like anticipating a win here lol). See y’all shortly!
Popping the top on our bubbly shortly and might do some chocolate martinis later.

binky79
Art Expert

Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:53 pm

Probably cant watch tonight. I hope I dont miss any drama. Remember when Will Smith slapped Chris Rock? That was a wild one.

Good luck everybody!
dol3
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:12 pm

middayshadows
Art Expert

RottenAtom wrote:
I still haven't made my picks and I'm a bit reluctant to do so because I'm not crazy about selecting Oppenheimer a dozen times. I saw it in the theater and I think it's well-made, but I also think it's crazy overrated and it benefited from a ridiculous marketing campaign by a super thirsty Hollywood/press network that was desperate to get butts in seats.
Your Oppenheimer take is exactly mine, and that includes the aggressive marketing of it. As I was watching it, I struggled with it as it teetered towards Wikipedia storytelling (and conversely when I felt characters and storylines were planted to avoid it being completely rote) . Something about Nolan's pacing is more exhausting than it has to be, too: like youre watching a 3 hour montage. And I never felt any emotional connection or through-line to Oppenheimer himself.
Last edited by middayshadows on Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
middayshadows
Art Expert

Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:16 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:32 pm
Picks are in! Toughest categories were animated, costume, and some of the shorts. Didn't realize The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar had been nominated. Sweet
Yes! Saw that. Still, these Shorts categories are gonna be rocky ...
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:37 pm

binky79 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:53 pm
Probably cant watch tonight. I hope I dont miss any drama. Remember when Will Smith slapped Chris Rock? That was a wild one.

Good luck everybody!
That was a wild one! Anything could happen... :lol:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:48 pm

middayshadows wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:

Zone of Interest has a clever approach, but man, I couldn't wait for that movie to be over! I feel like I've seen enough holocaust and war movies for a lifetime and only watched it because I felt obligated, and kind of like Son of Saul, it's like "why am I watching this???" Not the way I want to spend my precious time on this Earth. You know exactly what it's going to be going in and yes, its intentionally super uncomfortable, but it feels more like low-hanging fruit than art to me.
Your Oppenheimer take is exactly mine, and that includes the clearly desperate and aggressive marketing of it. Even as I was watching it, I struggled with it, especially as it teetered towards Wikipedia storytelling (and conversely when I felt characters and storylines were planted to avoid it being completely rote) . Something about Nolan's pacing is more exhausting than it has to be, too: like youre watching a 3 hour montage. And I never felt any emotional connection or, objectively, any through-line to Oppenheimer himself.

I can't disagree with you about The Zone Of Interest. As great as I do think it is, and I can go on about many reasons why, it is definitely not 'entertainment,' per se. I am also extremely selective -my list of films that I have never watched and never will (due to their subject - Blackhawk Down , Flight 93 off the top of my head) is lengthy. Maybe that's why I had the space for this one. I dont feel it was low hanging fruit though. I found it very responsible, for lack of a better word. I was fully ready to stop watching if I sensed anything close to gratuitous or 'easy'. Glazer worked on this film for ten years and it is very very considered. Most importantly, I found myself struggling with and infuriated by human nature, and asking and re-asking the "how-could-they's',' in exactly the ways I think the film intended me to. I'm still thinking about it. And I strongly feel as difficult as it may be, the larger questions and themes the film raises are important to examine and revisit - especially at this moment in time, when much of the world seems intent on ignoring or worse, forgetting the lessons of the past. Again though, as well done as it is, it is a difficult watch, and do respect and suggest individual discretion before deciding to view.
All good points. Definitely agree on your Oppenheimer comments and appreciate your perspective on The Zone of Interest. Can't deny that it does what it sets out to do and does it well.

Can't believe we're less 15 minutes until showtime. I didn't realize daylight savings time was this weekend and I think they're kicking off earlier than usual. Feels super early.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:06 pm

We're off! Good luck to all! :clap:

revmod
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:38 pm

That opened the field somewhat.

edited to add: And again!
Last edited by revmod on Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drink like nobody's watching.