2018 Rotten Oscars

That's right folks! They're just giving them away! Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby RottenAtom on Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:34 pm

Howdy, folks! You know what time it is... The 90th annual Academy Awards are Sunday, March 4th.

This is the 7th year of Rotten Oscars, EB's annual celebration of cinema, created with the intention of making the Academy Awards more fun. It wouldn't be possible without the generous donations from collectors and poster companies, or the enthusiastic participation of everybody who returns year after year to do battle. Huge thanks to Mondo, Black Dragon Press, binky79, theperfecttree, and all the other folks who have donated on multiple occasions.

The 2018 Rotten Oscars are made possible thanks to the following donors. Please give them a round of applause :clap:

binky79
Black Dragon Press
cerebus
DonPiano
jjtdw
letstalkprints
meskell
Mondo
RottenAtom
theperfecttree

As always, lets make this a festive thread full of fun gifs, pics, movie talk, trivia, and anything else celebrating our favorite films and filmmakers - whether the Academy honored them or not.

We're using the same site as last year and the same rules as always. Check out the section on prize dispersement, I changed that up a little this year to allow for more winners in the event of a tie.

Rules

-You get one guess in each of the 24 categories. Each category is worth 1 point and the person with the most points at the end of the show wins.

-You must have 100 posts or at least 1 year on ebeans as of March 4th, 2018.

-You must make your picks on runyourpool.com (use the link below) and your username must match your EB username.

-To qualify, you must post a picture (or gif) from an Oscar-winning movie or a previous Academy Awards show in this thread before the start of the show. *Pics from movies that got snubbed or pics from your all-time favorite movie will also be accepted.

Instructions

1. Go to http://www.runyourpool.com/join/pool_in ... &p=fidelio

2. In the Join Password box, enter 'fidelio' (without the single quotes)

3. Fill out the form information, including a personal username and password. (Rest assured, this information will NOT be sold or utilized for spam email under ANY circumstances.)

4. Make your picks for each category, with the ability to change them up until the awards show.

5. Post your picture (or gif) from an Oscar-winning movie, previous Academy Awards show, snub, or all-time favorite film in this thread.

Prizes

Grand Prize(s)- The winner gets first pick of the prizes. If there is a tie for the top score, each 'winner' (up to 7 winners) will get a prize. Random number generator will determine the order prizes are selected. If more than 7 people tie for the top score, all of them will be assigned a number and 7 will be chosen to select prizes.

2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th/7th Prize- Anybody with a score better than mine will be assigned a number and entered into drawings for the remaining of the top 7 prizes (however many are left after the folks with top scores are taken care of). Random number generator will determine the order prizes are selected.

8th/9th/10th/11th Prize- Everybody who participates in Rotten Oscars will be entered into drawings for 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th pick of the prizes.

Rotten Oscars Rotten Poster Award- *NEW* to the Rotten Oscars. More info coming soon... (Are you excited? You should be!)

And now, the part you've all scrolled down to... the unveiling of the prizes! :banana:

Prize 1- Donated by the reigning Rotten Oscars champ, jjttdw :clap:
Tom Whalen The War of the Worlds (variant)
The War of the Worlds was nominated for 3 Academy Awards and won one for Best Special Effects.

Prize 2- Donated by binky79 :clap:
Ken Taylor Mad Max: Fury Road
Mad Max: Fury Road was nominated for 10 Oscars and won 6 for Best Film Editing, Best Costume Design, Best Makeup, Best Sound Mixing, Best Sound Editing, and Best Production Design.

Prize 3- Donated by Mondo :clap:
Laurent Durieux The Mummy

Prize 4- Donated by Black Dragon Press :clap:
Alan Love Wings of Desire (frame not included)

Prize 5- Donated by binky79 :clap:
Blade Runner Mondo Glass
Blade Runner was nominated for 2 Academy Awards; Best Art Direction-Set Decoration and Best Visual Effects.
Blade Runner 2049 is nominated for 5 Academy Awards.

Prize 6- Donated by theperfecttree :clap:
Rich Kelly Inside Llewyn Davis
Inside Llewyn Davis was nominated for 2 Academy Awards; Best Cinematography and Best Sound Mixing.

Prize 7- Donated by meskell :clap:
Vanessa Foley For Mordecai (The Royal Tenenbaums)
The Royal Tenenbaums was nominated for Best Original Screenplay

Prize 8- Donated by DonPiano :clap:
Ise Ananphada Amelie (variant)
Amelie was nominated for 5 Academy Awards.

Prize 9- Donated by cerebus :clap:
Jock 28 Days Later (variant)

Prize 10- Donated by letstalkprints :clap:
Matthew Brazier A Confederacy of Dunces. Private commission of 15 (slight crease on top right corner)

Prize 11- Donated by RottenAtom :clap:
Screenplays for The Shape of Water and Three Billboards
The Shape of Water is nominated for 13 Academy Awards including Best Original Screenplay.
Three Billboards is nominated for 7 Academy Awards including Best Original Screenplay.

Once again, huge thanks to all the donors and everybody who participates year after year and keeps this tradition alive :clap:

Picks and pics (or gifs) are due by the start of the show on Sunday, March 4th. Good luck to everybody!! :pint:

Note- Claudia and I are celebrating our 10 Year wedding anniversary on March 3rd, and beginning on March 1st we will begin the process of moving into another apartment. Hopefully it's a smooth transition with easy internet setup, etc. but I wanted to mention it in case I need you to bear with me in the event of any moving snafus or delays in prize raffles. Thanks!

"My friends, I address you all tonight as you truly are; wizards, mermaids, travelers, adventurers, magicians... Come and dream with me."
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby middayshadows on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:05 pm

Glad it's back! The RA's are always a great time. Still a few films I have to see over the next couple of weeks before I can start making my picks!

middayshadows
Art Expert

Image Image

Postby DonPiano on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:57 pm

Glad to be able to join in with the madness this time round.
DonPiano
Art Expert

The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

wottagunn wrote:they're exactly the same you drymounts. go get an eye check

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.

Postby fredo on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:04 pm

You can rest easy knowing I haven't seen shiz this year.

fredo
Art God

just a foil for me today, thanks

Postby ethnosax on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:47 pm

I will end up somewhere near dead last, but it's still fun--thank you, RA!

And for my picture--seriously, is there anyone in the world who doesn't want Roger Deakins to finally win Cinematography, and especially for his beautiful work on Blade Runner 2049?

ethnosax
Art Connoisseur

Postby DonPiano on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:49 pm

ethnosax wrote:And for my picture--seriously, is there anyone in the world who doesn't want Roger Deakins to finally win Cinematography, and especially for his beautiful work on Blade Runner 2049?

I want Deakins to win... but... Hoyte van Hoytema did something truly stunning with Dunkirk that left me speechless. Deakins work with Blade Runner 2049 is great, but I found the film simply just visually good looking rather than something that actually made me feel something.
DonPiano
Art Expert

The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

wottagunn wrote:they're exactly the same you drymounts. go get an eye check

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.

Postby ethnosax on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:32 pm

DonPiano wrote:
ethnosax wrote:And for my picture--seriously, is there anyone in the world who doesn't want Roger Deakins to finally win Cinematography, and especially for his beautiful work on Blade Runner 2049?

I want Deakins to win... but... Hoyte van Hoytema did something truly stunning with Dunkirk that left me speechless. Deakins work with Blade Runner 2049 is great, but I found the film simply just visually good looking rather than something that actually made me feel something.

Well...that's how I felt about Dunkirk, actually, haha. :) I felt no connection to that movie at all--just a lot of mildly interesting bluster. I watched BR2049 twice in the theater, and the first time I thought it was pretty good, but I wasn't totally sold on it. The second viewing, however, I found it just magical, really amazing movie storytelling.
ethnosax
Art Connoisseur

Postby SPAC04 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:33 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:

ethnosax wrote:...thank you, RA!

And for my picture--seriously, is there anyone in the world who doesn't want Roger Deakins to finally win Cinematography, and especially for his beautiful work on Blade Runner 2049?

:iagree:
SPAC04
Art Expert

Postby PLUSH on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:45 pm

All I remember is this was my mom's favorite movie growing up. Saw it so many times.
PLUSH
Art Expert

Postby theperfecttree on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:03 pm

:clap:

theperfecttree
EB Team

Postby letstalkprints on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:11 pm

Not only screenplays for films nominated for best picture but "Shape of Water" is a For Your Consideration screenplay script which are usually sent to members of the Academy for voting purposes. Both super cool regardless, but more so should either/or take down Original Screenplay and/or Best Picture.
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.

Postby mfaith on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:17 pm

Thanks a ton Adam and all of the donors for keeping the tradition alive. :clap:

mfaith
EB Team

Image Image ImageImageImage

Postby smokey289 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:39 am

Thanks for doing this again and again :clap:

And if Harry can win an Oscar we all have a chance in the Rotten Oscars!
smokey289
Art Connoisseur

Postby RadRacing on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:47 am

Thanks everyone!!

RadRacing
Art Expert

Postby binky79 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:28 pm

binky79
Art Expert

Next

Return to Print Giveaways