2017 Rotten Oscars

That's right folks! They're just giving them away! Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby ArchibaldTuttle on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:24 pm

Woohoo! Thanks for putting this together. Looking forward to not placing again.

ArchibaldTuttle
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:06 pm

^
:lol:

dasponyboy wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:
I'm not super enthusiastic about the nominees this year. I really like a few of the films, but too much so-so stuff made it in. Agree

Arrival- My favorite of the bunch. Excellent film. Amy Adams' snub is probably the most egregious of the year. Agree on Adams but I liked High Water and La La better

Fences- Solid flick with two of the best performances of the year. I wasn't crazy about the direction. Denzel > Casey. Agreed, definitely tell it was a play

Hacksaw Ridge- Not a fan. Wish it wasn't nominated. Not a fan of the Garfield nomination either. The true story is great, the movie and Garfield not so much

Hell or High Water- Great flick! Glad this got a best pic nom. Ben Foster should have been nominated over Dev Patel. Loved it

Hidden Figures- Enjoyable movie with some strong performances, but it swims in typical "overcoming oppression" territory and many of the characters have no depth. The scene with Costner and the bathroom sign is one of the hammiest scenes of the year. Totally

La La Land- Super charming, fun, and well-made, but I hope it doesn't run away with everything. I like it (nowhere near as much as Whiplash), but it doesn't fully come together and I don't totally buy it. Fine performances, direction, and soundtrack. I really liked it and I'm not a fan of musicals

Lion- Liked it, didn't love it. On a rewatch I realized I don't care about anything after they make it to Australia. Sunny Pawar was great, but I don't think Dev Patel and Nicole Kidman's performances deserve nominations. Agreed

Manchester by the Sea- Great cast/acting and stellar direction. Worthy of the nom. I thought this movie was way overrated. Williams is great but is barely in the movie

Moonlight- Moving film with a terrific ensemble and killer cinematography/direction. Mahershala Ali deserves an Oscar Great movie but preferred 1st and 2nd acts

:pint:

Might throw on Hell or High Water tonight. We honored the waitress ("What don't you want?") from it at the Houston Film Critics Society awards show. She was very nice. Seems a bit older in person, but quite the spitfire!

I'm really in the dark on who the favorites are. Haven't read an article since the nominations were announced. Gonna be interesting next Sunday.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby RottenAtom on Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:09 pm

ethnosax wrote:As for live-action, I assume La La Land (haven't seen it yet) will run away with a bunch, because there's nothing Hollywood loves more than awarding movies about Hollywood. (Recent examples: The Artist, which, even though I'm a silent-film fan, I thought was gimmicky and a missed opportunity. And Birdman, which I found thoroughly vile, though I know that's just personal opinion.)

I wasn't crazy about Birdman either. It's not bad, just overrated. I would've liked to see Whiplash or Nightcrawler win best picture in 2014.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby technique on Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:33 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
ethnosax wrote:As for live-action, I assume La La Land (haven't seen it yet) will run away with a bunch, because there's nothing Hollywood loves more than awarding movies about Hollywood. (Recent examples: The Artist, which, even though I'm a silent-film fan, I thought was gimmicky and a missed opportunity. And Birdman, which I found thoroughly vile, though I know that's just personal opinion.)

I wasn't crazy about Birdman either. It's not bad, just overrated. I would've liked to see Whiplash or Nightcrawler win best picture in 2014.

:clap:
technique
Art Expert

Postby Romulus36 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:13 pm

Thanks SO much for putting this together again. Time for me to screw up just ike I did last year!

Arrival_Aliens.jpg
Arrival_Aliens.jpg (6.54 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
Romulus36
Art Enthusiast

Postby jmagee87 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:42 pm

RottenAtom wrote:

Finally someone else that "kind of" feels how I do about Birdman. I just couldnt get through that film. But La La Land will win for the same reason Birdman did. Hollywood loves films about Hollywood.
jmagee87
Art Expert

ImageImage #trollcru
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.

Postby JosephHunt13 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:59 am

Not A Fan, but pretty sure it will be a big night for La La Land...
Attachments
LALALAND.jpg
LALALAND.jpg (8.24 KiB) Viewed 903 times
JosephHunt13
New User

Postby chisoxcollector on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:39 am

You can add me to the "Birdman is/was overrated" group. I would have been happy with any of Nightcrawler/Whiplash/Boyhood winning. Those were my top 3 that year. Birdman is #27 on my list (out of 101 2014 films seen).

My photo submission is one of the more surprising snubs of my lifetime. Going into the nominations I thought he was the front runner for best supporting actor, and then he didn't even get nominated.

chisoxcollector
Art Connoisseur

Postby bert on Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:27 pm

Entered! Thanks again for setting this up, RA! Appreciate the time and effort.

I'm rooting for La La Land. I get the criticism, but it really rang my bell.

Here are Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn backstage getting ready to present at the 1956 awards

bert
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:48 pm

^
Love that pic :drool:

chisoxcollector wrote:You can add me to the "Birdman is/was overrated" group. I would have been happy with any of Nightcrawler/Whiplash/Boyhood winning. Those were my top 3 that year. Birdman is #27 on my list (out of 101 2014 films seen).

My top 3 as well. Been watching Linklater films lately and I'm looking forward to watching Boyhood again.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby revmod on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:32 pm

I really dug Moonlight and Manchester both - they spoke to me in very different ways. La La Land was perfectly entertaining and serviceable, but I feel about it much the way I do about The Artist, or maybe Shakespeare in Love - clever and fun, but hardly life-changing or film-changing.

Jeremy Renner has just been announced as a guest at my local Comic Con in April. It reminded me how much I liked everyone in this cast:

Hustle.jpg
Renner was the only one of these that didn't get an acting nomination for it.
Hustle.jpg (39.49 KiB) Viewed 934 times
revmod
Art Connoisseur

Drink like nobody's watching.

Postby RambosRemodeler on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:37 pm

RottenAtom wrote:

I would've liked at least a nom for Jake. That was the best lead performance of 2014 IMO
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby brettlv5506 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:30 pm

Arrival- Villeneuve tries to do Tarkovsky and is pretty much successful at it. More so than when Scorsese tried to do Tarkovsky with Silence.

Fences- Didn't watch it, might be able to get it in before the ceremony.

Hacksaw Ridge- This doesn't belong here. Go back to your Sound Design and Mixing categories. For a film about a non violent pacifist, Gibson sure does fetishize violence.

Hell or High Water- Enjoyable, but I'm not nearly as taken with it as others are.

Hidden Figures- Didn't see it.

La La Land- Didn't think I would like it, but once I saw the camera work in the musical number that takes place in Mia's apartment, I was sold.

Lion- Haven't seen it. Likely won't.

Manchester by the Sea- Hard movie to like, but everything about it is impeccably done.

Moonlight- The most deserving film nominated.

Jackie- ROBBED

Pic related
brettlv5506
Art Connoisseur

Postby dweebofthedead on Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:41 pm

And submitted. Thanks again, RA, and good luck, y'all :pint:

dweebofthedead
Art Expert

Postby theperfecttree on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:26 pm

this time of year already? as always, thanks for hosting RA!

theperfecttree
EB Team

PreviousNext

Return to Print Giveaways