2017 Rotten Oscars

That's right folks! They're just giving them away! Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby earlgreytoast on Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:02 pm

Streep is such a tweaker.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Codeblue wrote:This thread is boring. I'm going to go jerk off.

http://artsy.bigcartel.com/

Postby jjttdw on Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:27 pm

As the undisputed winner of this year's Rotten Oscars, I'd like to take a moment to thank RA for organizing the event and Black Dragon Press, Mondo, theperfecttree, technique, and Private Poster Commission Club for the prizes. A special shout out to binky79 whose Jaws variant is the one I've claimed as the prize of the victor. Now on the to the embarrassing admission that I had no business winning. Out of all the fine performances and films nominated for an Academy Award in 2017, the only one that I've seen is, wait for it, Suicide Squad. I paid matinee money to see it at the prompting of my middle school son. While it was not a very good movie, my pick for it to win was ultimately what delivered me the victory. It was a nice coincidence.

As for the rest of my picks, I was guided mostly by the idea that La La Land would win a bunch and that Hollywood would try to make a statement with some of the others, like The Salesman. Casey Affleck was chosen because I thought that people would believe he would never again be nominated so they would thrown him a bone. I find his voice annoying. I will close by saying that I shall enjoy this time in the sun as I am certain it will never come again.
jjttdw
Art Expert

NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart

Postby mattkardish on Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:57 pm

mattkardish
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:47 pm

Hear hear, jjttdw! Congrats again!! Crazy that you've only seen Suicide Squad and it's the reason that you probably won. You have some good movie watching to look forward to.

Jaws is claimed. I'll assign the rest of you numbers and do the drawings for the rest of the prizes.

Last edited by RottenAtom on Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby RottenAtom on Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:48 pm

Busy day, just catching up. Last night's events are still kinda surreal. Watched the video a couple times this morning. It seems like the third La La Land guy to give his speech knew beforehand that they lost and delivered his speech anyways (carpe diem!), adding in the 'even though we lost' at the end. Justin Horowitz literally took a step back when he discovered they lost. He did the right thing, but he seemed pissed! I mean, he snatched that card from Beatty like Beatty was any old bum! I love when things don't exactly go according to plan and it ends up being even better. Midday nailed it with his post.

middayshadows wrote:Great telecast this year, and great Rotten Oscars! Thanks RA, and everyone. :pint:

Bizarro ending. I immediately noticed the La La Land producer on screen-right swiveling his head from side to side, while Jordan Horowitz was speech-ing and thought "distracted much? That'll be a Winona-meme sequel, tomorrow." Then things onstage...escalated quickly. My wife called it right away. Initially I thought some stage-manager was just being anal about getting the Oscar statues into the proper recipients' (the producers') hands. Nope.

Anyway, I feel bad that Beatty and Dunaway were involved in that mess. Most people will remember them as having a 'senior' moment, and it wasn't their drymount up at all. They deserve better. Though I do wonder why Beatty, who was apparently on to the fact that something was amiss, handed the card over to an unaware Dunaway, to read.

Don't feel too bad for Moonlight (supposedly) having their moment ruined - they won. They have been showered with various awards all season. The Best Picture win is theirs for the record, and the brouhaha will cement the moment far more indelibly than if things went by the book. I mean, does anyone actually remember the Best Picture acceptance speeches/moments from previous years? They're never anywhere near as memorable as individual awards-acceptances and speeches. Dont feel bad about La La Land either, it too was showered with awards all season, and during Oscar night as well.

revmod wrote:I'm sad the "how" is going to overshadow, because a beautifully-made coming-of-age film about a gay person of colour won Best Picture, and that feels like a pretty big deal.

I disagree :) . So many people will see Moonlight now, I'm very happy for that film. They will enjoy it. The Oscars (not really a) drama won't in any way diminish it as a film.

I thought Emma Stone's speech was pretty classy - sincere, and genuine, not self-important. But Amy Adams should have at least been nominated for Best Actress. Glad Arrival got some Oscars love. I may not have loved La La Land, but I did like it a lot and am still a bit mystified by the backlash over it. Having said that, I'm happy the awards got spread around more than was expected.

Shocked that I actually scored 15/24, considering I felt like I miffed almost every category while I was watching. S'alright, as always the RA's are great great fun.

#oscarssoredeemed now?

Love this pic!

fredo wrote:Few decent avatar selections in there if you're needing one.

jkw3000 wrote:The Damon/Kimmel running gag is still funny to me

Agreed! I said Kimmel would be a fine host prior to the show and he didn't disappoint.

35mmpaul wrote:
jmagee87 wrote:I love the Damon/Kimmel gag. It's not over done, and typically always funny.

Jimmy woulda been a comic genius if he had blamed this mix up on Matt instead of Warren Beaty.

Indeed! He wasn't very quick on his toes with the whole "I wish you could just keep it. Oscars for everybody" or whatever. An old pro like Carson would've mined some gold out of that moment.
Last edited by RottenAtom on Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby noeldaddy on Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:11 pm

Ben Affleck looks like he had someone on the side that was about to do something dastardly but their plan got foiled by the commotion and Ben is motioning with his eyes "Abort! Abort!"
It is my understanding that Warren Beatty was sent back in time to foil Affleck's plan and save the day without anyone knowing. I'm on to you Beatty you wonderful bastard
noeldaddy
Art Expert

ImageImage

Postby jjttdw on Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:25 pm

I think it looks like someone used photoshop to add the Rock's head into the photo.
jjttdw
Art Expert

NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart

Postby fredo on Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:28 pm

jjttdw wrote:I think it looks like someone used photoshop to add the Rock's head into the photo.

Someone oughta make a gif of the head popping out from the corner on a spring, or ala Terminator 2 copguy. Soon.
fredo
Art God

it is imperative to expedite matters to my satisfaction

Postby RottenAtom on Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:47 pm

RottenAtom wrote: Grand Prize- The winner gets first pick of the prizes. An acceptance speech is required. If there's a tie, numbers will be assigned and a winner will be chosen via random number generator.

2nd Prize- If there is a tie for the top score, the remaining contestants who achieved top scores will be assigned numbers and a runner-up will be chosen via random number generator. They will get second pick of the prizes. If there isn't a tie, then anybody who gets a higher score than me will be entered into the drawing.

3rd/4th Prize- Everybody who beats my score will be entered into a drawing for 3rd and 4th pick of the prizes.

5th/6th/7th Prize- Everybody who participates in Rotten Oscars will be assigned a number and the winners get the remaining prizes.

Congrats to everybody who beat me! I scored 15/24, my worst score in Rotten Oscars history (takes bow). Since there was no tie for the top score, everybody who scored higher than 15 was assigned numbers for the drawings for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pick of the prizes. People who scored 16 were assigned one number, folks with 17 were assigned two, and the marvelous 18s got three numbers.

1 brettlv5506
2 brettlv5506
3 brettlv5506
4 dasponyboy
5 dasponyboy
6 dasponyboy
7 FlapJack
8 FlapJack
9 FlapJack
10 captainhavoc
11 captainhavoc
12 Cerebus
13 Cerebus
14 ChrisV
15 ChrisV
16 earlgrey
17 earlgrey
18 MJGallicchio
19 MJGallicchio
20 rambosremodeler
21 rambosremodeler
22 theperfecttree
23 theperfecttree
24 WolfBrewer
25 WolfBrewer
26 Abstractlyput
27 bert
28 bigmclargehuge1
29 Count
30 Dickbutt
31 johndv
32 MonteAlderaan
33 playa787
34 ReaperMan
35 Revmod
36 Scott Johnston
37 technique
38 vster23

Drawings coming soon...
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby RottenAtom on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:06 pm

The first drawing is for 2nd pick of the prizes.

And

the

winner

is

#33 playa787
:clap:

(not sure why this screenshot is so big)
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby RottenAtom on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:16 pm

Next up is the drawing for 3rd pick of the prizes. People can only win once. The numbers are staying the same (out of convenience) and if the same number is randomly generated again, I'll redo it.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby fredo on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:43 pm

Congratulations to the winners...if that's even your real name.
fredo
Art God

it is imperative to expedite matters to my satisfaction

Postby RottenAtom on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:57 pm

This drawing is for 3rd pick of the prizes.

And

the

winner

is

#23 theperfecttree :clap:

RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby playa787 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:13 am

Awesome! This is the best thing done on these forums by far. Thanks to RA for putting it together. I will say I expected these awards to be a little boring and predictable this year but they were even more entertaining than recent years. Good stuff.
playa787
Art Expert

"__________ is one of my favorite movies ever but that poster doesn't do it for me. -E.B.

Postby theperfecttree on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:18 am

RottenAtom wrote:This drawing is for 3rd pick of the prizes.

And

the

winner

is

#23 theperfecttree :clap:

:)

many thanks to RA for keeping this going year after year. already looking forward to 2018
theperfecttree
EB Team

PreviousNext

Return to Print Giveaways