2017 Rotten Oscars

That's right folks! They're just giving them away! Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:28 pm

Howdy, folks! It's that time of the year again. The 89th annual Academy Awards are Sunday, February 26th.

This is the 6th year of Rotten Oscars (woohoo!) and the tradition continues thanks to a handful of generous donations from collectors and our friends at Mondo and Black Dragon Press. As always, this isn't just about the Academy Awards, the Rotten Oscars is a celebration of quality movies from all countries and eras, intended to add a little fun to the Oscars and the weeks leading up to them.

Movies are the best. Lets make this a fun thread that honors the nominated films as well as snubs that deserve recognition, classics, and all-time favorites!

Note- The site we used last year is not set up for Oscars this year (again). This is the first year that I was not able to find a free site to host our contest. I did find one that will suffice though. I don't believe it has a tiebreaker question, so in the event of a tie, contestants will be assigned numbers and winners will be chosen via random number generator.

Rules

-You get one guess in each of the 24 categories. Each category is worth 1 point and the person with the most points at the end of the show wins.

-You must have 100 posts or at least 1 year on ebeans as of February 26th, 2017.

-You must make your picks on runyourpool.com (use the link below) and your username must match your EB username.

-To qualify, you must post a picture (or gif) from an Oscar-winning movie or a previous Academy Awards show in this thread before the start of the show. *This year, pics from movies that got snubbed or pics from your all-time favorite movie will also be accepted.

Instructions

1. Go to http://www.runyourpool.com/join/?id=52935

2. In the Join Password box, enter 'fidelio' (without the single quotes)

3. Fill out the form information, including a personal username and password. (Rest assured, this information will NOT be sold or utilized for spam email under ANY circumstances.)

4. Make your picks for each category, with the ability to change them up until the awards show.

5. Post your picture (or gif) from an Oscar-winning movie, previous Academy Awards show, snub, or all-time favorite film in this thread.

Prizes

Grand Prize- The winner gets first pick of the prizes. An acceptance speech is required. If there's a tie, numbers will be assigned and a winner will be chosen via random number generator.

2nd Prize- If there is a tie for the top score, the remaining contestants who achieved top scores will be assigned numbers and a runner-up will be chosen via random number generator. They will get second pick of the prizes. If there isn't a tie, then anybody who gets a higher score than me will be entered into the drawing.

3rd/4th Prize- Everybody who beats my score will be entered into a drawing for 3rd and 4th pick of the prizes.

5th/6th/7th Prize- Everybody who participates in Rotten Oscars will be assigned a number and the winners get the remaining prizes.

Prize 1- Donated by Black Dragon Press :clap:
Victo Ngai Three Colours Trilogy Set (Red to be revealed soon)
Image Image
*Red received Oscar nominations for Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Cinematography in 1995.

Prize 2- Donated by Mondo :clap:
Jonathan Burton The Aviator (variant)
*In 2005, The Aviator was nominated for 11 Academy Awards and won 5 for Best Cinematography, Best Film Editing, Best Costume Design, Best Art Direction and Best Supporting Actress for Cate Blanchett.

Prize 3- Donated by theperfecttree :clap:
Ise Ananphada Star Wars: The Force Awakens (variant)
*Last year, Star Wars: The Force Awakens received 5 Oscar nominations including Best Original Score, Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, Best Film Editing, and Best Visual Effects.

Prize 4- Donated by technique :clap:
Jock 28 Days Later (variant)

Prize 5- Donated by binky79 :clap:
Phantom City Creative Jaws (variant)
*Jaws won 3 Academy Awards for Best Film Editing, Best Original Dramatic Score, and Best Sound. It was nominated for Best Picture. Spielberg greatly resented not being nominated for Best Director.

Prize 6- Donated by binky79 :clap:
Tyler Stout x Mondo Avengers Stelebook
*The Avengers was nominated for the Best Visual Effects Oscar.

Prize 7- Donated by the Private Poster Commission Club
Kilian Eng Inception (s&d)
*In 2011, Inception won Oscars for Best Cinematography, Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing and Best Visual Effects and was nominated for Best Picture and Best Original Screenlay.

Huge thanks to everybody who donated. Your generosity is much appreciated :clap: :notworthy:

Picks and pics are due by the start of the show on Sunday, February 26th. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!! :pint:

. . . . .

Self promotion: If you're so inclined, follow me on twitter @saltywinters and read my reviews/articles on Nerdlocker. Cheers!
Last edited by RottenAtom on Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby brettlv5506 on Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:25 pm

This year, I wanted to pay tribute to an old professor of mine, Ben Levin. In 1973, he won the first ever Student Academy Award in the Documentary category for his film "You See, I've Had a Life."
I will post a more traditional choice later in the thread, but wanted to get this in while I was thinking about it. Also, thanks to Adam and all the donors! I look forward to this tradition every year.
brettlv5506
Art Connoisseur

Postby BENYOUNG20 on Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:26 pm

Still need to watch a couple more, but put my preliminary picks in and will get a photo tonight.
BENYOUNG20
Art Connoisseur

Postby mattkardish on Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:17 pm

thanks for running RA! excited for it.
mattkardish
Art Expert

Postby ethnosax on Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:41 pm

I voted with my heart--and since Arrival probably won't actually win a single thing, I will definitely lose this contest. But I'll feel good about myself. :)

For the pic, I'll go with one of my favorites, and a big winner from the very first Academy Awards, in 1929: the 1927 silent film, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans. Doesn't get much attention at all anymore, but it's a good one--a nice option for Valentine's Day today, too. :)

ethnosax
Art Connoisseur

Postby jmagee87 on Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:51 pm

Voted more with my head than my heart this year...I think

And a gif is a picture right?

jmagee87
Art Expert

ImageImage #trollcru
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.

Postby toobs on Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:16 pm

toobs
Art Expert

RottenAtom wrote:This is the hookup thread, not the beg for sloppy seconds thread.

Postby binky79 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:23 am

binky79
Art Expert

Postby smokey289 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:07 am

hope I win
smokey289
Art Connoisseur

Postby RottenAtom on Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:25 am

brettlv5506 wrote:This year, I wanted to pay tribute to an old professor of mine, Ben Levin. In 1973, he won the first ever Student Academy Award in the Documentary category for his film "You See, I've Had a Life."

Nice tribute. Cheers to Ben :pint:

jmagee87 wrote:And a gif is a picture right?

yessir!
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby RottenAtom on Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:29 am

ethnosax wrote:For the pic, I'll go with one of my favorites, and a big winner from the very first Academy Awards, in 1929: the 1927 silent film, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans. Doesn't get much attention at all anymore, but it's a good one--a nice option for Valentine's Day today, too. :)

Sunrise has been on my list of films to watch for years, but I haven't made time for it. Gonna have to change that. Nice choice :pint:

Loving all the pics and gifs so far! My Cousin Vinny, Ex Machina, Cuckoo's Nest, Fisher King... Great stuff :clap:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby jlabbate on Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:43 am

jlabbate
Art Freak

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:34 pm

Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby tourist504 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:39 pm

One of the great comedies of all time, passed over by the Academy...
Attachments
LIR.jpg
Let it Ride
LIR.jpg (67.44 KiB) Viewed 859 times
tourist504
Art Expert

maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.

BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.

jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.

Imagex6

Postby RadRacing on Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:24 am

Thank you good sir!
RadRacing
Art Connoisseur

Next

Return to Print Giveaways