2017 Rotten Oscars

That's right folks! They're just giving them away! Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby RottenAtom on Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:30 pm

What do you guys think about the nominations? Biggest snubs? Movies you want to win?

I'm not super enthusiastic about the nominees this year. I really like a few of the films, but too much so-so stuff made it in.

Arrival- My favorite of the bunch. Excellent film. Amy Adams' snub is probably the most egregious of the year.

Fences- Solid flick with two of the best performances of the year. I wasn't crazy about the direction. Denzel > Casey.

Hacksaw Ridge- Not a fan. Wish it wasn't nominated. Not a fan of the Garfield nomination either.

Hell or High Water- Great flick! Glad this got a best pic nom. Ben Foster should have been nominated over Dev Patel.

Hidden Figures- Enjoyable movie with some strong performances, but it swims in typical "overcoming oppression" territory and many of the characters have no depth. The scene with Costner and the bathroom sign is one of the hammiest scenes of the year.

La La Land- Super charming, fun, and well-made, but I hope it doesn't run away with everything. I like it (nowhere near as much as Whiplash), but it doesn't fully come together and I don't totally buy it. Fine performances, direction, and soundtrack.

Lion- Liked it, didn't love it. On a rewatch I realized I don't care about anything after they make it to Australia. Sunny Pawar was great, but I don't think Dev Patel and Nicole Kidman's performances deserve nominations.

Manchester by the Sea- Great cast/acting and stellar direction. Worthy of the nom.

Moonlight- Moving film with a terrific ensemble and killer cinematography/direction. Mahershala Ali deserves an Oscar.

. . . . . .

When I ranked my Top 50 Films of 2016, this is how the Best Pic nominees fared:

#3 Arrival
#4 Hell or High Water
#6 Moonlight
#7 La La Land
#11 Manchester by the Sea
#33 Fences
#35 Lion
#47 Hidden Figures
#xx Hacksaw Ridge did not make the list.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:13 pm

^^ I'm with ya on Hacksaw Ridge for sure.

Of the 'best films' that I saw, my favs were Arrival and Hell or High Water. I still haven't seen Moonlight though.

My bias makes me wish The Handmaiden was nominated for something, since it couldn't be best foreign film. I can't hate on Age of Shadows for being the South Korean pick tho.

Best foreign film should be fun. It's cool to see Land of Mine on there- I watched it last year and thought, that's a really good film. Then it shows up here and I'm like wow, cool.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:07 pm

^

I wish The Handmaiden was nominated for something too. It has killer direction, cinematography, and score. The Age of Shadows was excellent, but I wish The Handmaiden was South Korea's selection.

Out of the nominated Foreign films, I've only seen A Man Called Ove. (Still haven't seen Toni Erdmann - missed the FF screening due to RZA: Live from the 36th Chamber and missed the press screening due to complications beyond my control. Feeling like I'm not meant to see that movie, but I'm looking forward to it and the other nominees.)

I'm interested to see who wins the animated feature category. I really like Zootopia and Kubo and would be happy with either winning. While it's not the choice of the 'cool kids' I think I'm rooting for Zootopia. The Kubo animation is crazy good and it played great on the big screen, but Zootopia is the gift that keeps giving. I've seen it several times and always enjoy it. Bonded with my young niece in Nicaragua over it when I visited earlier in the year. We watched that and the animated Robin Hood over and over. Tried introducing her to Star Wars and she wasn't having it :lol:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby FlapJack on Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:09 pm

RottenAtom wrote:Arrival- My favorite of the bunch. Excellent film. Amy Adams' snub is probably the most egregious of the year.
Haven't seen all of the nominated films yet, but I was really disappointed she wasn't nominated. I would have put her performance over Emma Stone's, who was still quite good.

Hope to watch the Handmaiden soon.
FlapJack
Art Expert

Postby LeeKaye on Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:00 am

RottenAtom wrote:^

I wish The Handmaiden was nominated for something too. It has killer direction, cinematography, and score. The Age of Shadows was excellent, but I wish The Handmaiden was South Korea's selection.

Out of the nominated Foreign films, I've only seen A Man Called Ove. (Still haven't seen Toni Erdmann - missed the FF screening due to RZA: Live from the 36th Chamber and missed the press screening due to complications beyond my control. Feeling like I'm not meant to see that movie, but I'm looking forward to it and the other nominees.)

I'm interested to see who wins the animated feature category. I really like Zootopia and Kubo and would be happy with either winning. While it's not the choice of the 'cool kids' I think I'm rooting for Zootopia. The Kubo animation is crazy good and it played great on the big screen, but Zootopia is the gift that keeps giving. I've seen it several times and always enjoy it. Bonded with my young niece in Nicaragua over it when I visited earlier in the year. We watched that and the animated Robin Hood over and over. Tried introducing her to Star Wars and she wasn't having it :lol:

Didn't realise this was now a film. Loved the book.
LeeKaye
Art Expert

Postby dweebofthedead on Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:32 am

Awesome, RA :pint:

Gonna submit my picks soon!

Side note: Gonna burn away at the short doc nominations like I always do. Started with The White Helmets (which is on Netflix) yesterday. Great way to start. Check out the trailer:

dweebofthedead
Art Expert

Postby RambosRemodeler on Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:15 pm

Handmaiden was easily one of my favorite flicks from last year. I loved it.

I do not get the love for manchester at all. Casey is really good in it and Williams is too but she is criminally underused. The movie was good but certainly not one of the years best IMO. 3.5/5
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby RottenAtom on Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:44 pm

Affleck's performance in Manchester is solid and understated, but also a tad overrated. It brought to mind his turn in Lonesome Jim, which is similar, but in that one he doesn't really have any reason to be depressed. Haven't seen LJ in a while but I dug it when it came out. Directed by Steve Buscemi.

RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby RottenAtom on Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:26 am

dweebofthedead wrote:Awesome, RA :pint:

Side note: Gonna burn away at the short doc nominations like I always do. Started with The White Helmets (which is on Netflix) yesterday. Great way to start.

Cool, thanks for the heads up! :cheers:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby RottenAtom on Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:03 pm

Get your picks/pics in. The show is one week away! :clap:

ATTENTION/HEADS-UP: Because of the way the website we're using this year operates, if you wait until next Sunday to sign-up, there's a small chance you don't get to play. Here's why: the fee for the pool must be paid 24 hours in advance of the Oscars and after it's paid we're locked into a specific tier with no option to add more players. Here are the tiers:

We're currently at 17 entries (many of which are not valid until their pics are posted). I'll most likely go for the 51-100 member tier. We've had over 100 entries in the past, but I doubt there will be that many this year. I don't foresee this being an issue, but I wanted to give a heads-up in the small chance that it is.

Last edited by RottenAtom on Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby Scottjohnston on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:50 am

Ready! Thanks RA once again :clap:

Scottjohnston
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImage

Postby BENYOUNG20 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:34 am

Hell or High water and Arrival are by far my favorite of the top nominees.
Biggest snub in Oscar history is what I am using for my eligibility photo:
maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg (64.14 KiB) Viewed 47 times
BENYOUNG20
Art Connoisseur

Postby dasponyboy on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:38 am

RottenAtom wrote:
I'm not super enthusiastic about the nominees this year. I really like a few of the films, but too much so-so stuff made it in. Agree

Arrival- My favorite of the bunch. Excellent film. Amy Adams' snub is probably the most egregious of the year. Agree on Adams but I liked High Water and La La better

Fences- Solid flick with two of the best performances of the year. I wasn't crazy about the direction. Denzel > Casey. Agreed, definitely tell it was a play

Hacksaw Ridge- Not a fan. Wish it wasn't nominated. Not a fan of the Garfield nomination either. The true story is great, the movie and Garfield not so much

Hell or High Water- Great flick! Glad this got a best pic nom. Ben Foster should have been nominated over Dev Patel. Loved it

Hidden Figures- Enjoyable movie with some strong performances, but it swims in typical "overcoming oppression" territory and many of the characters have no depth. The scene with Costner and the bathroom sign is one of the hammiest scenes of the year. Totally

La La Land- Super charming, fun, and well-made, but I hope it doesn't run away with everything. I like it (nowhere near as much as Whiplash), but it doesn't fully come together and I don't totally buy it. Fine performances, direction, and soundtrack. I really liked it and I'm not a fan of musicals

Lion- Liked it, didn't love it. On a rewatch I realized I don't care about anything after they make it to Australia. Sunny Pawar was great, but I don't think Dev Patel and Nicole Kidman's performances deserve nominations. Agreed

Manchester by the Sea- Great cast/acting and stellar direction. Worthy of the nom. I thought this movie was way overrated. Williams is great but is barely in the movie

Moonlight- Moving film with a terrific ensemble and killer cinematography/direction. Mahershala Ali deserves an Oscar Great movie but preferred 1st and 2nd acts
dasponyboy
Art Expert

Postby dasponyboy on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:57 am

star-wars-victory-hug.jpg
star-wars-victory-hug.jpg (71.25 KiB) Viewed 36 times
dasponyboy
Art Expert

Postby ethnosax on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:05 pm

For animation, my preference is Kubo, because it's such a classic piece of new mythology, and so beautifully crafted. I wouldn't be unhappy with Zootopia, though. A little more mainstream, but my, the relevant current topics they managed to cover in it! And creating two new animated characters who I actually wouldn't mind seeing in more movies. That's rare in these days of instant-franchise properties every other week. (The set of trailers before Lego Batman made me ready to leave this mortal coil...)

As for live-action, I assume La La Land (haven't seen it yet) will run away with a bunch, because there's nothing Hollywood loves more than awarding movies about Hollywood. (Recent examples: The Artist, which, even though I'm a silent-film fan, I thought was gimmicky and a missed opportunity. And Birdman, which I found thoroughly vile, though I know that's just personal opinion.)
ethnosax
Art Connoisseur

PreviousNext

Return to Print Giveaways