2017 Rotten Oscars

That's right folks! They're just giving them away! Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby jjttdw on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:30 am

fredo wrote:Congratulations to the winners...if that's even your real name.

:rolling: :rolling:
jjttdw
Art Expert

NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:40 am

theperfecttree wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:This drawing is for 3rd pick of the prizes.

And

the

winner

is

#23 theperfecttree :clap:

:)

many thanks to RA for keeping this going year after year. already looking forward to 2018

^
brilliant gif usage :lol:

PCC Jaws, Burton Aviator, and Victo Ngai Three Colours Trilogy prints have been claimed.

This is the final drawing exclusive to people who beat my score.

And

the

winner

is

#4 dasponyboy :clap:

RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby jkw3000 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:49 am

fredo wrote:Congratulations to the winners...if that's even your real name.

Rockovich Rockovich?
jkw3000
Art Freak

35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.

Postby RambosRemodeler on Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:02 am

Oh yeah totally "random" :wink:
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:09 am

RambosRemodeler wrote:Oh yeah totally "random" :wink:

Knew that was coming. When Andy's number popped up, I was like, "great, now I'm gonna look suspect" :lol:

After 6 years of Rotten Oscars though I'm friends with most you mofos. Pretty much gonna look that way regardless :pint:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby RambosRemodeler on Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:20 am

RottenAtom wrote:

Knew that was coming. When Andy's number popped up, I was like, "great, now I'm gonna look suspect" :lol:

After 6 years of Rotten Oscars though I'm friends with most you mofos. Pretty much gonna look that way regardless :pint:

You mean both andys

#rottenoscarssowhite
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby bert on Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:49 am

Congrats to the winners and thanks again to RA for hosting! This thread is always a good read the morning after when I wake up here in Blighty.
bert
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:06 am

RambosRemodeler wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:

You mean both andys

#rottenoscarssoandy

fixed :wink:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:07 am

Everybody is eligible for the drawings for the final 3 prizes. I'll assign numbers and do the drawings later today (most likely tonight).
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby earlgreytoast on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:24 am

Not sure why you wouldn't just have the folks with the best scores win; it would be a lot less work for you! But this is my first RO so I'm sure there's a method to the madness. :notworthy:
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Codeblue wrote:This thread is boring. I'm going to go jerk off.

http://artsy.bigcartel.com/

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:04 am

earlgreytoast wrote:Not sure why you wouldn't just have the folks with the best scores win; it would be a lot less work for you! But this is my first RO so I'm sure there's a method to the madness. :notworthy:

Kind of... We never really know how many 'winners' there will be. There's always a chance that we have folks tie for the top score. Some years we have only 1 or 2 runner-ups and some years there's a whole bunch of folks in 2nd place. Generally I do better with my predictions, so the drawings for everybody who beat me usually have less people in them than they did this year.

I suppose I could do all the drawings for the people who tied for the highest scores (or 2nd or 3rd place) or just the people who beat me, but back in the day when I set it up, I decided to do it this way so that everybody who participates has a chance at winning something. I don't just want the movie freaks and people with more study time to participate, I'd like to get as much of the community involved as possible. There was quite a drop off in participation after the first couple years (this year we had half the people we had 3-4 years ago), but that probably has as much to do with EB not being as popular as it once was as it does with people not re-entering because they realized they didn't have much of a chance.

Anyways, that was kind of my thinking when I set it up. Only guaranteed way to get a prize is to be the clear-cut winner. (And for me personally, that is the only way I can win since I don't enter myself in the drawings.) Beating me puts folks into more drawings and the higher their score, the better chance they have in those drawings (more numbers).

It's hard to have a clear-cut policy with the always changing number of winners and runner-ups, so I'm adaptable from year to year depending on how the winners shakeout. For instance, if we had two people tie for the high score, I would have given them first and second pick of the prizes. With 3 runner-ups this year, I decided not to give them each prizes since between them and the winner it would eat up half the prizes. (That was a tough call. I wavered on it. If there were just 2 runner-ups I would have given them each prizes, but opted not to in this instance. Thoughts?)

Hope that all makes sense. You guys are more than welcome to chime in with your opinions on the matter. Cheers :pint:

-Oh yeah, in the future, I could figure out how to do some kind of live drawing or something. Everything is on the level and I don't think anybody thinks otherwise, but I always do feel a little funny when I draw a friend's name. I really do have a lot of EB friends, most of whom enter these contests, so that happens quite often.

- Last thing is a bit of Rotten Oscars history. The first year, everything was done manually. Participants posted their lists in the thread so that everybody could see them, and after the contest, I added up all the scores and determined the winner. That was a TON of work! :lol:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby DuoSonic on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:53 am

Big thanks to RA and the people donating prints for running this. And congrats to the winners!

Even though I saw so few films this year, I still love this stuff. It's fun to argue over who should and shouldn't win, what the Academy gets right and wrong, etc. I'm always entertained by awards season.

Now, to catch up on last year's films. But first, I need to see Get Out.
DuoSonic
Art Expert

Postby jkw3000 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:02 pm

It's all for fun. Thanks for doing all the legwork RA. :pint:
jkw3000
Art Freak

35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.

Postby dasponyboy on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:17 pm

Rambo is just salty that he's never beat me in the Rotten Oscars :wink:
dasponyboy
Art Expert

Postby Scottjohnston on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:19 pm

Thanks again RA! :clap: :pint:
Scottjohnston
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImage

PreviousNext

Return to Print Giveaways