2016 Rotten Oscars

That's right folks! They're just giving them away! Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby RottenAtom on Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:59 pm

Howdy, Folks. We're back! The 88th annual Academy Awards are Sunday, February 28th.

This is the 5th year of Rotten Oscars and the tradition continues thanks to generous donations from fellow collectors and some nice folks in the print game. As always, this isn't just about the Oscars, it's a celebration of quality movies from all countries and eras, intended to add a little fun to the Academy Awards and the weeks leading up. It was another killer year for movies and a lot of great stuff was nominated. Chris Rock is hosting and I'm looking forward to the festivities.

Note- The site we used in previous years is not hosting Oscars contests this year. I checked other sites and there aren't many suitable free options, but I found one that I think will suffice. The only difference is the tie-breaker. In the event of a tie, the win will go to the person who got their picks in first, so make your picks ASAP and don't tinker for best chances in case of a tie. "In the event of a tie, our site looks at the ballot that was last edited the furthest time ago and gives that ballot priority."

Rules

-You get one guess in each of the 24 categories. Each category is worth 1 point and the person with the most points at the end of the show wins.

-You must have 100 posts or at least 1 year on ebeans as of February 28th, 2016.

-You must make your picks on officepoolhub.com. Follow the instructions below.

-Your Username on officepoolhub must match your EB username.

-To qualify, you must post a picture from an Oscar-winning movie or a picture from any previous Academy Awards show in this thread*
*You may also post a pic from a non-winning film or actor/actress that you feel was snubbed, but must provide the reason you feel it deserved to win or be nominated.

Instructions

1. Sign up at officepoolhub.com using your EB Username and click the confirmation link they send to your email.

2. Sign in and click on 'Join a Pool'.

Pool ID- 148
Password- fidelio

3. Click on 'Ballots' and 'Create a Ballot' to make your picks. In the 'Name of Ballot' field enter your EB Username.

4. Post a picture from an Oscar-winning movie or a picture from any previous Academy Awards show in this thread. (see rules for exceptions)

Prizes

Grand Prize- The winner, determined by officpoolhub, will get first pick of the prizes. An acceptance speech is required.
2nd Prize- If there is a tie for the top score, the remaining contestants that achieved top scores will be assigned numbers and a runner-up will be chosen via random number generator. They will get second pick of the prizes. If there is not a tie, then anybody that gets a higher score than me will be entered into the drawing.
3rd Prize- Everybody that beats my score will be entered into a drawing for 3rd pick of the prizes.
4th/5th Prize- Everybody that participates in Rotten Oscars will be assigned a number and the winners gets the remaining prizes.

Prize 1- Generously donated by Kramerica :clap:
Jay Ryan Witness! Set with matching numbers. (Inspired by 10-time nominee Mad Max: Fury Road)

Prize 2- Generously donated by binky79 :clap:
Stacey Aoyama (and Eric Tan) Inside Out. (Nominated for Best Animated Feature and Best Original Screenplay)

Prize 3- Generously donated by DickButt :clap:
Sick In The Head signed by Judd Apatow.
Image Image

Prize 4- Generously donated by Mondo :clap:
Martin Ansin The Rocketeer (regular).

Prize 5- Generously donated by director Dave Boyle :clap:
Man From Reno Blu-ray. This was one of my favorite movies at Fantastic Fest in 2014. Also on Netflix.

Picks and pics are due by the start of the show on Sunday, February 28th. Let me know if you have any questions. I like a festive thread full of movie talk and pictures of movies and past Oscar shows. This is a celebration, let's keep it positive and have fun! Good luck!! :pint:

Self Promotion:
For the last couple of years I've been writing film criticism for Nerdlocker under the name Salty Winters. My writing is coming along nicely but my social media game is lacking. Please follow me on twitter @saltywinters and read my reviews here. Thanks for the support!
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby mfaith on Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:28 pm

Awesome! Thanks for doing this again Adam, and thanks to all the generous donors. I'll make my picks and post pics tomorrow. :cheers:
mfaith
EB Team

Image Image Image ImageImage

Postby PLUSH on Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:38 pm

Yep, Adam is the bestest. :)
PLUSH
Art Expert

Postby mfaith on Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:56 pm

Did it now after all ;D

Last year's best picture, which I only just now had a chance to watch a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed it!

mfaith
EB Team

Image Image Image ImageImage

Postby RambosRemodeler on Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:45 pm

I'm so drymounting pumped for this.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby Scottjohnston on Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:59 pm

Cranking out the movies these past few weeks for this! :pint:
Scottjohnston
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImage

Postby Kramerica on Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:07 pm

Kramerica
Art Freak

When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH

Postby ArchibaldTuttle on Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:14 am

ArchibaldTuttle
Art Expert

Postby toobs on Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:17 am

I never come close
toobs
Art Expert

RottenAtom wrote:This is the hookup thread, not the beg for sloppy seconds thread.

Postby brettlv5506 on Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:18 am

Snub: Act of Killing
Not only was it the most important film that year (possibly of the millennium,) it also remolded the documentary form in an entirely new way. Should've beat 20 Feet From Stardom easily and in a just world, it would've won Best Picture as well. #OscarsSoFiction
The worst part is it is going to happen again to Look of Silence vs Amy.

brettlv5506
Art Connoisseur

Postby dasponyboy on Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:19 am

Thanks GR for doing this again, can't wait! :notworthy:
dasponyboy
Art Expert

Postby dweebofthedead on Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:44 am

Lets get this dude an Oscar already, yo.

Last edited by dweebofthedead on Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
dweebofthedead
Art Expert

Postby revmod on Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:14 am

Excited as always, and with my picks already in. I'm not messing around with the tiebreak this year, after last year's time zone fiasco.

anne-hathaway-james-franco-academy-awards-oscars.jpg
anne-hathaway-james-franco-academy-awards-oscars.jpg (90.38 KiB) Viewed 1999 times

Mark Rylance has performed two of the greatest acceptance award speeches I've seen, both for Tonys. Is it too much to ask that he makes one for the Oscars?

2008: https://youtu.be/TU9iCgGDjRI
2011: https://youtu.be/20lm7Ow9RSYY
revmod
Art Connoisseur

Drink like nobody's watching.

Postby jmagee87 on Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:59 am

Can't wait! I'm sure I'll lose as usual. But my picks are in. As for my picture, here's two guys that absolutely killed their performances. And one of my favorite films in the last decade or so

jmagee87
Art Expert

ImageImage #trollcru
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.

Postby chisoxcollector on Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:18 am

Thanks for doing this again! :clap:
Brie Larson should be gunning for her second best actress Oscar this year. In my opinion, she gave the best performance of 2013 (male or female) in "Short Term 12", and wasn't even nominated for her efforts! :hanging: Instead, Cate Blanchett won a "lifetime achievement" Oscar.

chisoxcollector
Art Connoisseur

ImageImageImageImage

Next

Return to Print Giveaways