2016 Rotten Oscars

That's right folks! They're just giving them away! Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby RottenAtom on Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:49 am

I scored 16/24. If you scored 17/24 you get one #, 18/24 gets you two.

Your #s:

1 revmod
2 revmod
3 AK57BS
4 AK57BS
5 mjgallicchio
6 bert
7 fitz
8 Count
9 Cerebus
10 kymberlie
11 duckyhoward
12 TKuczynski
13 toobs
14 bigmclargehuge1
15 wmd
16 c0bbz
17 theperfecttree
18 Dickbutt
19 csmiley317
20 Jon1701
21 abstractlyput
22 ScottJohnston

And the winner of the drawing for 2nd pick of the prizes is...

........drumroll please..........

revmod!

Congratulations! Name your prize, sir!

I used the same #s for the drawing for 3rd pick of the prizes (rev's no longer eligible).

And the winner is...

........drumroll please..........

cerebus!

Congrats! After rev let's me know which prize he wants, you get next pick :pint:

Everybody that participated in Rotten Oscars will be assigned a number and winners will be chosen for the remaining prizes.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby Scottjohnston on Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:26 am

Thanks Adam! I look forward to this one every year!

Agreed, some tough picks this year. Should have stayed with my gut with Mad Max will sweep all the technical fudge! Nailed Spotlight though! 8)
Scottjohnston
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImage

Postby revmod on Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:52 am

I feel both lucky and blessed to have won something again. I was a little disappointed by my score this year, but with the exception of Best Song, when the Academy foiled my expectations, they did it by picking something better. How can I complain?

I'll be pleased to accept the Ansin print. I don't care very much about The Rocketeer, but the art looks stunning.

Thanks for another year of fun, Adam! All the Nerdskulls to you!
revmod
Art Connoisseur

Drink like nobody's watching.

Postby dweebofthedead on Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:14 am

:pint:
dweebofthedead
Art Expert

Postby cotis on Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:14 am

woo hoo! I wasn't last.

thanks for the opportunity!
cotis
Art Expert

Postby DuoSonic on Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:07 am

Thanks for running the contest!
DuoSonic
Art Expert

Postby MJGallicchio on Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:08 am

Congrats winners and thank you Adam. Also, thanks to everyone that donated.

That was fun.
MJGallicchio
Art Expert

Postby cerebus on Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:28 am

:shock: Can't believe that I beat RA, and doubly can't believe that I won 3rd.

I'll take the Jay Ryan Witness set please.

Many thanks again to RA for running this competition. Great fun every year :clap:

And thanks also to all who contribute the prizes. :pint: :notworthy:
cerebus
Art Expert

Image T.K.C.

Postby MonteAlderaan on Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:11 pm

Big thanks to RA and congrats to all the winners! Some fun upsets made up for some questionable production choices (presenter captions/winner "thank you" ticker/Stacey Dash/playing winners off about 30 seconds too soon.) Overall, I enjoyed the show and look forward to participating in the RO's next year.
MonteAlderaan
Art Connoisseur

Postby FlapJack on Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:52 pm

Was happy to see Inside Out win ... as a dad, that friggin' cartoon kicked my butt.

A bit surprised Amy won the Best Doc, I preferred The Look of Silence or Cartel Land, and actually Montage of Heck was my favorite documentary - but was totally overlooked for some reason.

Congrats to GatorCanes and nice job by RottenAtom once again. I missed out entering this year, but it's become a nice EB tradition.
FlapJack
Art Expert

Postby GatorsCanes on Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:30 pm

First, I'd like to thank Adam for hosting the contest once again, and thank you to all those who generously donated prizes. It's threads like these, and acts like those that keep me coming back to EB.

Like everyone who participated this year, I absolutely love movies. Growing up, I would wake up early to watch the nominations (most of the time being late to, or missing, school that day). My parents were great about stuff like that. Though, I think the quality of the nominees has overall been weaker than the heyday of the Oscars for my lifetime (early 90s to mid 00s) I still look forward to the ceremony every year. I love to see the upsets (Brody over Day-Lewis for Actor), and I love to see wins that upset me (King’s Speech (a movie based on a play??) over Inception for best ORIGINAL screenplay… this one still makes me so mad).

I’m such a movie nerd, in high school I did my advance level math project on movies. Without getting too into it, I asked people to name their favorite movie and I did a chi squared test to see whether the choice of a person’s favorite movie was related to how many Academy Awards that movie won. Admittedly, not the most scientific hypothesis but it was a lot of fun.
As is usual for me, it came down to two categories: animated short and live action short that separated me from the pack (or at least revmod). I’d like to say that I knew who was going to win, but I didn’t. I didn’t see a single one of the nominees. I read their synopsises and I made, an albeit meagerly informed, informed guess.

I’ll just end on this. I really believe movies are great. Movies allow us to escape our lives for 2 hours, we don’t have to worry about bills or politics or even missed print drops. We can connect with characters and feel empathy and happiness, excitement and fear. I’ll never drive down Fury Road, or step into a ring with a Heavy Weight champ, but thanks to the movies last year I feel like I have.

Thanks again to Adam, please continue to do this as long as it makes you happy. It’s definitely a highlight of the year for a lot of us.
GatorsCanes
Art Expert

NEVER PAY VIA PAYPAL GIFT. NEVER PAY FRIENDS/FAMILY. PAY THE FEES YOURSELF, THE 3% IS WORTH IT TO NOT BE SCAMMED

Postby AliRock110 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:45 pm

Congrats Gator

Image]
AliRock110
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:12 pm

GatorsCanes wrote:First, I'd like to thank Adam for hosting the contest once again, and thank you to all those who generously donated prizes. It's threads like these, and acts like those that keep me coming back to EB.

Like everyone who participated this year, I absolutely love movies. Growing up, I would wake up early to watch the nominations (most of the time being late to, or missing, school that day). My parents were great about stuff like that. Though, I think the quality of the nominees has overall been weaker than the heyday of the Oscars for my lifetime (early 90s to mid 00s) I still look forward to the ceremony every year. I love to see the upsets (Brody over Day-Lewis for Actor), and I love to see wins that upset me (King’s Speech (a movie based on a play??) over Inception for best ORIGINAL screenplay… this one still makes me so mad).

I’m such a movie nerd, in high school I did my advance level math project on movies. Without getting too into it, I asked people to name their favorite movie and I did a chi squared test to see whether the choice of a person’s favorite movie was related to how many Academy Awards that movie won. Admittedly, not the most scientific hypothesis but it was a lot of fun.
As is usual for me, it came down to two categories: animated short and live action short that separated me from the pack (or at least revmod). I’d like to say that I knew who was going to win, but I didn’t. I didn’t see a single one of the nominees. I read their synopsises and I made, an albeit meagerly informed, informed guess.

I’ll just end on this. I really believe movies are great. Movies allow us to escape our lives for 2 hours, we don’t have to worry about bills or politics or even missed print drops. We can connect with characters and feel empathy and happiness, excitement and fear. I’ll never drive down Fury Road, or step into a ring with a Heavy Weight champ, but thanks to the movies last year I feel like I have.

Thanks again to Adam, please continue to do this as long as it makes you happy. It’s definitely a highlight of the year for a lot of us.

Great speech!! Congrats GC :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'll assign numbers now and do the drawings for the remaining prizes. Results coming soon...
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby revmod on Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:52 pm

GatorsCanes wrote:As is usual for me, it came down to two categories: animated short and live action short that separated me from the pack (or at least revmod). .

You're right - those two categories took the wind out of my sails.

Great speech! Congratulations on solid predictions in a tough, tough year.
revmod
Art Connoisseur

Drink like nobody's watching.

Postby RottenAtom on Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:39 pm

All right, revmod chose the Ansin Rocketeer generously donated by Mondo and cerebus chose the Jay Ryan Witness! set generously donated by Kramerica.

The remaining prizes are the Sick in the Head book signed by Judd Apatow generously donated by DickButt, the Man From Reno Blu-ray generously donated by Dave Boyle, and the sticker pack generously donated by dweebofthedead :clap:

I scored 16/24. Folks with 18/24 get three #s, folks with 17/24 get two, everybody else gets one.

Here are your #s:

1 AK57BS
2 AK57BS
3 AK57BS
4 mjgallicchio
5 mjgallicchio
6 bert
7 bert
8 fitz
9 fitz
10 Count
11 Count