2015 Rotten Oscars

That's right folks! They're just giving them away! Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby RottenAtom on Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:52 pm

Howdy, folks. We're back! The 87th annual Academy Awards are Sunday, February 22nd.

The 2012, 2013, and 2014 Rotten Oscars were a blast and I'm happy to keep the tradition alive. No trivia this year though. The R.O.T was a lot of fun, but I've been crazy busy and there just wasn't enough time to put it together. It will still be fun to predict the categories and have our annual movie celebration. It was a killer year for movies and a lot of gems were ignored by the Academy (as usual). This is a thread to honor films from all countries and eras, Academy Award winners and otherwise.

Rules

-You get one guess in each of the 24 categories. Each category is worth 1 point and the person with the most points at the end of the show wins.

-The Tie-Breaker question is "What time will the Best Picture Oscar be awarded?"

-You must have 100 posts or at least 1 year on ebeans as of February 22nd, 2015.

-You must place your picks on funofficepools.com
Follow the instructions below

-Your Selection Name on funofficepools must match your EB username.

-To qualify, you must post a picture from an Oscar-winning movie or a picture from any previous Academy Awards show in this thread
*You may also post a pic from a film that didn't win any Oscars if you believe it deserved one. If you do this you must post why you think it deserved to win.

Instructions

1. Use this link and sign up at funofficepools.com (or sign in if you participated last year, password: fidelio)

2. After you set up your username and password you will see a screen like this. Change your Selection Name to your EB username and click Join Pool.

3. On the next page you can scroll down and click on the blue square with the check mark to make your picks and answer the tie breaker question.

4. Post a picture from an Oscar-winning movie or a picture from any previous Academy Awards show in this thread.

Prizes

Grand Prize- The winner- determined by funofficepools.com- will get first pick of the 4 main prizes. An acceptance speech is required.
Second Prize- If there is a tie for the top score, the remaining contestants that achieved top scores will be assigned numbers and a runner-up will be chosen via random number generator. They will get second pick of the 4 main prizes. If there is not a tie, then anybody that gets a higher score than me will be entered into the drawing.
Third Prize- Everybody that beats my score will be entered into a drawing for 3rd pick of the 4 main prizes.
Fourth Prize- Everybody that participates in Rotten Oscars will be assigned a number and the winner gets the remaining prize.

Prize 1- Graciously donated by binky79 :clap: :notworthy:
Todd Slater Close Encounters of the Third Kind signed by Richard Dreyfuss

Prize 2
Criterion Designs- "A lavishly illustrated coffee-table book celebrating thirty years of artwork from the Criterion Collection. The most exciting names in design and illustration today apply their talents to some of the most important and influential films of all time. This volume gathers highlights from designs commissioned by the Criterion Collection, featuring covers, supplemental art, and never-before-seen sketches and concept art plus a gallery of every Criterion cover since the collection's first laserdisc in 1984. From avant-garde experiments to big-budget blockbusters, cult favorites to the towering classics of world cinema, the depth and breadth of what film can be is on display in these striking images. Whether painstakingly faithful re-creations or bold reimaginings, the diverse designs collected here offer new ways for cinephiles and design aficionados alike to engage with the world's greatest filmmakers."

Prize 3
Poster Art of the Disney Parks
Nearly all of the signs at Disney World and Disneyland used to be screenprinted. This book compiles hundreds of posters printed for shows, rides, and other attractions at the Disney parks. The posters are beautifully illustrated and lavishly printed with bright colors. Came across this book when the print shop I work at, Lady Lazarus, acquired one of the presses that many of these posters were printed on.

Author Vanessa Hunt

Prize 4- graciously donated by woodrowgus :clap: :notworthy:
Lawrence of Arabia Blu-ray 50th Anniversary Collector's Edition
Image Image

Picks are due by the start of the show on Sunday, February 22nd. Let me know if you have any questions.
I like a festive thread full of movie talk and pictures of movies and past Oscar shows. This is a celebration, let's keep it positive and have fun! Good luck!! :pint:
Last edited by RottenAtom on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby rubberneck on Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:59 pm

:clap:
rubberneck
Art God

Postby jkw3000 on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:00 pm

:pint:
jkw3000
Art Freak

35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.

Postby RambosRemodeler on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:21 pm

RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby adamsmasher on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:30 pm

3 for 4? :)

This year is gonna be tough!
adamsmasher
Art Expert

Postby middayshadows on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:32 pm

Alright, alright, alriiiight...

:pint: 8)
middayshadows
Art Expert

Image Image Image Image

Postby RottenAtom on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:33 pm

adamsmasher wrote:3 for 4? :)

This year is gonna be tough!

I thought last year I would finally top you. 22/24 was only good enough to tie and then you beat me on the tie-breaker by ONE MINUTE! :x

Looking forward to competing again :pint:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby playa787 on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:35 pm

This is one of the toughest years. Hard to predict some of those categories.
playa787
Art Expert

"__________ is one of my favorite movies ever but that poster doesn't do it for me. -E.B.

Postby adamsmasher on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:35 pm

One minute!

Can't wait man, hope I'm not completely trounced!
adamsmasher
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:41 pm

I've seen most of the nominees. Still need to catch American Sniper, Selma, and Still Alice before the 22nd.

My favorite films of the year were Whiplash and Nightcrawler. Sucks Nightcrawler was snubbed.

Best cinematography is going to be tough. I saw Mr. Turner yesterday and the cinematography is beautiful. It's awesome in a totally different way than Birdman's killer cinematography. I really enjoyed Ida's look and camerawork too. Haven't seen Unbroken but Roger Deakins is no slouch. It does seem like a tougher year than years past.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby brettlv5506 on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:46 pm

Stoked this is happening again RottenAtom! Good luck to all! If I win, I will dedicate it to Mica Levi since she got shafted on original score this year. :D
brettlv5506
Art Connoisseur

Postby adamsmasher on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:49 pm

RottenAtom wrote:I've seen most of the nominees. Still need to catch American Sniper, Selma, and Still Alice before the 22nd.

My favorite films of the year were Whiplash and Nightcrawler. Sucks Nightcrawler was snubbed.

Best cinematography is going to be tough. I saw Mr. Turner yesterday and the cinematography is beautiful. It's awesome in a totally different way than Birdman's killer cinematography. I really enjoyed Ida's look and camerawork too. Haven't seen Unbroken but Roger Deakins is no slouch. It does seem like a tougher year than years past.

Those were my two favorite films too, I nominated them both for the DGA awards, but those old stalwarts at the DGA were having none of that. :( Yeah Deakins is no joke and Delhomme did some amazing lens work on The Theory of Everything... loved the touches in the early goings of the film.
adamsmasher
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:50 pm

brettlv5506 wrote:Stoked this is happening again RottenAtom! Good luck to all! If I win, I will dedicate it to Mica Levi since she got shafted on original score this year. :D

Yes she did! Also, I don't know the politics of what's eligible and what's not, but I really liked the scores of Only Lovers Left Alive, Whiplash, and Birdman over some of the nominated scores.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby beetlejuice on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:52 pm

RottenAtom wrote:My favorite films of the year were Whiplash and Nightcrawler. Sucks Nightcrawler was snubbed.

:pint:
beetlejuice
Art Connoisseur

Go ahead, make my millennium.

Postby Count on Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:00 am

Looking forward to this as always :clap:
Count
Art Expert

Next

Return to Print Giveaways