Audiophile discussion

Talk tunes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby jpicken on Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:10 pm

If you are using the setup for movie playback, you will want to consider BA225C Center Channel Loudspeaker to be timbre matched with your new BA A25.

When a sound pans across the screen, you generally want the drivers of all channels to be as similar as possible. So when the sound pans from left to center to right on the screen, the sound is uniform across the soundstage.
jpicken
Art Connoisseur

ImageImageImage

Postby edgar on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:54 pm

HELP PLZ

My receiver that I use to listen to my turntables died.

Need rec's for a replacement.

I am trying to power the following:

Numark im9 mixer

Klipsch KF icon x 2

Klipsch Bookshelf x 2

Klipsch sub x 2

Hoping to spend less than $400.

Thx in advance
edgar
Art Expert

Grateful69Phish wrote:anybody this stupid doesn't become naturally intelligent!

Postby mtarail on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:28 am

I was hoping someone might have some info for me. Sometimes (not always) when I listen to my stereo at low volume the left speaker will sound muted, or even cut out entirely. If I briefly turn up the volume pretty high, the speaker will start to work. I've researched this issue online a bit. I've checked and re-checked the cables between the speaker and the amp (and bought new ones/re-cut them) to make sure that wiring isn't an issue. Does anyone have this problem or know what fixes it?
mtarail
Art Expert

Postby mistersmith on Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:34 pm

mtarail wrote:I was hoping someone might have some info for me. Sometimes (not always) when I listen to my stereo at low volume the left speaker will sound muted, or even cut out entirely. If I briefly turn up the volume pretty high, the speaker will start to work. I've researched this issue online a bit. I've checked and re-checked the cables between the speaker and the amp (and bought new ones/re-cut them) to make sure that wiring isn't an issue. Does anyone have this problem or know what fixes it?

If you already vetted the physical connections, and swapped your speakers so you know it's not the speaker itself (open the left one up and make sure the connections in there aren't loose?), then it's internal in your power amp/receiver. If whatever in there that pushed the left channel is dying/broken, you're not going to get full power all the time. I know that's very vague, but I don't know what you have and I don't know fudge about electronic internals anyway. Tubes? Capacitors? Something like that is failing.

My dad's old Marantz did that in the late '90s, the left channel was dead, so I snuck it out to a repair shop and, on Father's Day, he came home from work to a Zeppelin 2 cranked up. That was a good day.

So if your unit is nice enough (giggity) have an electronic repair person put a meter or something on it to see if it's actually working, and see if they can repair it...but if it's not good enough, you probably need a new one.
mistersmith
Art Freak

electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.

Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.

Postby FrankBooth on Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:45 pm

Deoxit, this is more prevalent in the control and volume components of older receivers. Electronics build up gunk like anything else and just need a bit of cleaning.

edgar wrote:HELP PLZ

My receiver that I use to listen to my turntables died.

Need rec's for a replacement.

I am trying to power the following:

Numark im9 mixer

Klipsch KF icon x 2

Klipsch Bookshelf x 2

Klipsch sub x 2

Hoping to spend less than $400.

Thx in advance

$400 is a tough price point but there are yamaha, sony and some onkyo home AV's that fit the bill for most of that minus multiple subs (maybe)

Yamaha would be the better choice for Audio specific.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V483BL ... B06XY9J6BQ
FrankBooth
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImage Image

Postby mfaith on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:49 pm

mistersmith wrote:
mtarail wrote:I was hoping someone might have some info for me. Sometimes (not always) when I listen to my stereo at low volume the left speaker will sound muted, or even cut out entirely. If I briefly turn up the volume pretty high, the speaker will start to work. I've researched this issue online a bit. I've checked and re-checked the cables between the speaker and the amp (and bought new ones/re-cut them) to make sure that wiring isn't an issue. Does anyone have this problem or know what fixes it?

If you already vetted the physical connections, and swapped your speakers so you know it's not the speaker itself (open the left one up and make sure the connections in there aren't loose?), then it's internal in your power amp/receiver.

Not necessarily. The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is ruling out whatever component it is that you've hooked up (I'm assuming a record player?). If it's happening with just the internal radio/tuner, then yeah, receiver issues. If you're playing music on a turntable, and this happens, then swap the left and right input channels going into your phono ports, and keep it that way until it happens again. If the problem shifts to the right side, then it's not the receiver, but the record player. If it stays on the left side, then it's probably the receiver. Have you tried that?
mfaith
EB Team

Image Image ImageImageImage

Postby sideshowbob on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:11 pm

mfaith wrote:
mistersmith wrote:

If you already vetted the physical connections, and swapped your speakers so you know it's not the speaker itself (open the left one up and make sure the connections in there aren't loose?), then it's internal in your power amp/receiver.

Not necessarily. The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is ruling out whatever component it is that you've hooked up (I'm assuming a record player?). If it's happening with just the internal radio/tuner, then yeah, receiver issues. If you're playing music on a turntable, and this happens, then swap the left and right input channels going into your phono ports, and keep it that way until it happens again. If the problem shifts to the right side, then it's not the receiver, but the record player. If it stays on the left side, then it's probably the receiver. Have you tried that?

:iagree:

Best of luck diagnosing the problem.
sideshowbob
EB Team

Postby mtarail on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:01 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll troubleshoot with the advice. :clap:
mtarail
Art Expert

Postby edgar on Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:46 am

FrankBooth wrote:Yamaha would be the better choice for Audio specific.

BIG thanks for the suggestion. Went with this and am VERY happy thus far. Powering the dual subs with a Y splitter...
edgar
Art Expert

Grateful69Phish wrote:anybody this stupid doesn't become naturally intelligent!

Postby FrankBooth on Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:03 pm

edgar wrote:BIG thanks for the suggestion. Went with this and am VERY happy thus far. Powering the dual subs with a Y splitter...

Awesome! Glad that worked out. Good price on that
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Postby Danno1 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:08 pm

edgar wrote:

BIG thanks for the suggestion. Went with this and am VERY happy thus far. Powering the dual subs with a Y splitter...

I am no audiophile by a long shot but we have had a Yamaha receiver for over 20 years and it still does what we bought it for.
Danno1
Art Expert

stay thirsty my friends

Postby piper27 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:07 pm

I love my Yamaha receiver HRT-5730. Bought from Ultimate Electronics back in the day
piper27
Art Expert

Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.

Postby LeeKaye on Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:49 am

Danno1 wrote:
edgar wrote:

I am no audiophile by a long shot but we have had a Yamaha receiver for over 20 years and it still does what we bought it for.

It's always tempting to buy the latest and greatest, but there are some serious pieces of kit from a while ago that are still amazing.
LeeKaye
Art Expert

Postby ChrisV on Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:09 am

Need some speaker advice. This would be for my turntable setup. Just picked up a U-turn Audio turntable. I’m running it through a vintage Marantz 2216b. Any recommendations on sub-$300 bookshelf speakers?
ChrisV
Art Expert

Postby FrankBooth on Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:54 am

ChrisV wrote:Need some speaker advice. This would be for my turntable setup. Just picked up a U-turn Audio turntable. I’m running it through a vintage Marantz 2216b. Any recommendations on sub-$300 bookshelf speakers?

Just note, that Marantz has fairly low output (Though the older units tend to give a bit more than rated)

The sensitivity and impedance of each is important, at the least most good bookshelf require around 20 watts per channels. Which you you would just be cresting at 16 with your unit.

Elac

https://www.amazon.com/Debut-Bookshelf- ... B014GSEQ06

Klipsch

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R-14M-Re ... C10%7C1%7C

Wharfdale

https://www.amazon.com/Wharfedale-DIA10 ... B0079XG4TW

Micca

https://www.amazon.com/Micca-MB42X-Book ... B00E7H8GG2
FrankBooth
Art Expert

PreviousNext