Audiophile discussion

Talk tunes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby tourist504 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:33 pm

Danno1 wrote:
tourist504 wrote:
cotis wrote:finally taking the plunge and buying a turntable... not looking for anything crazy. medium, consumer level should be fine. hoping to connect it through my Sonos.

any suggestions?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teac-TN-300-2-Speed-Analog-Turntable-Turquoise-/322287480037

I grabbed one of these a few months ago and have been very pleased. Also reasonably good built-in pre-amp you can turn on or off (if you have your own). My go-to is still an old Technics SL-Q202 direct drive, but the Teac is a well-performing "show" piece for the price.

Many years ago, like around 1982 I paid $300 for a new technics turntable. $300 was some major jack back then to a 13 year old kid. Believe it or not it was tossed in the garbage while I was in the service and my dad moved. No idea what model # or anything but I have often thought what that thing could be worth now a days.

And that price did not include the needle, that was like another $125.

Yeah, my Technics was purchased in the early '80's by my uncle. He passed it on to me a few years ago and it runs like a champ (needs a new dust cover, but show me a TT that old that doesn't. The quality of those old decks is more apparent now than ever before.
tourist504
Art Expert

maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.

BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.

jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.

Imagex6

Postby applehead on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:51 pm

Long time vinyl collector here and this is the coolest business I've seen lately. Crowd-sourced on demand vinyl with a minimum of 100 records (https://qrates.com/). Vulfpeck has a remaster and an EP up which I didn't hesitate on. I waited to long on their last release and missed out and refuse to pay > $100. Check it out:
Fugue State (First Pressing) - https://qrates.com/artists/vulfrecords/items/13126
Thrill of the Arts (2017 Remaster) - https://qrates.com/artists/vulfrecords/items/13123
applehead
Art Expert

Postby DuoSonic on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:59 am

applehead wrote:Long time vinyl collector here and this is the coolest business I've seen lately. Crowd-sourced on demand vinyl with a minimum of 100 records (https://qrates.com/). Vulfpeck has a remaster and an EP up which I didn't hesitate on. I waited to long on their last release and missed out and refuse to pay > $100. Check it out:
Fugue State (First Pressing) - https://qrates.com/artists/vulfrecords/items/13126
Thrill of the Arts (2017 Remaster) - https://qrates.com/artists/vulfrecords/items/13123

Hmm... Interesting idea. I poked around on the website though and it looks like they might only accept digitally-sourced audio? I know a lot of new music pressed to vinyl is digitally sourced, but there ARE still people doing it straight from analog too. I have mixed feelings if it's a digital-only operation. Still, cool idea and I'm intrigued!
DuoSonic
Art Expert

Postby BenRichards on Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:49 pm

Also looking to get a home stereo setup. Looking to stay under 6 - 700 for now. Need speakers, a receiver and a decent turntable. An EQ would be nice as well. I don't consider myself an audiophile, but any help would be appreciated!
BenRichards
Art Connoisseur

Cragars wrote:Rainbow bukake won't ever make the wall.

Postby applehead on Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:50 pm

Thanks for that info about their source being digitally sourced. Sounds like a great business opportunity for someone.
applehead
Art Expert

Postby talkingdeads on Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:33 pm

TattooMike wrote:
ironjaiden wrote:I've got a pair of Audioengine A5 powered monitors, a Pro-Ject Debut III turntable and a Pro-Ject Tube Box S. All had for around $1,000.
The sound is outstanding, I can plug my iPod directly into the monitors if I like and the whole setup takes up very little space. Obviously you can go higher end but I couldn't be happier with my current setup and I've listened to systems 10x the price.

The Debut III's are being replaced by the Debut Carbon, which adds a carbon fiber tonearm and a better cartridge for the same price the Debut III was. Very nice upgrade.

Is this still sound advice? I need to junk my current stuff and get adulted
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Postby mtarail on Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:44 pm

BenRichards wrote:Also looking to get a home stereo setup. Looking to stay under 6 - 700 for now. Need speakers, a receiver and a decent turntable. An EQ would be nice as well. I don't consider myself an audiophile, but any help would be appreciated!

I picked up a yamaha 2 channel receiver that sounds great. (I ended up switching it out for a yamaha amp, but that's a different story). My main suggestion for the receiver is to go with 2 channels if you're only going to use it to listen to music. In your price range, I'd recommend the R-S300 or R-S500. If you want to stretch your $$ I'd also suggest that you consider buying refurbished stuff from an authorized dealer that can give you the same manufacturer warranty as new. I've picked up a few refurbished items (on accessories4less). They looked brand new and sounded great.
mtarail
Art Expert

Postby FrankBooth on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:49 pm

BenRichards wrote:Also looking to get a home stereo setup. Looking to stay under 6 - 700 for now. Need speakers, a receiver and a decent turntable. An EQ would be nice as well. I don't consider myself an audiophile, but any help would be appreciated!

ELAC B6 for a very good all arounder speaker. They are large bookshelf type

The B4 are cheaper and capable but think springing for the 6 is a good idea.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImage

Postby Danno1 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:29 pm

I liked the JBL Flip 3 so much I figured I would go ahead and get the Clip 2. Put it on my bag at work. Guess I was just expecting a whole lot more. The bass is extremely muddy even after about 20 eq settings. Have bass reducer on now and it's still no where near a good sound to me. I think most people who shell out the money for a better portable speaker for an iphone would be let down.

On sale for $42 so I will keep it and use it. But had it been the full retail of $60 I would definitely be returning it. Maybe I was just expecting too much though realistically.

Danno1
Art Expert

stay thirsty my friends

Postby tourist504 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:14 pm

Is that resting on a broom?
tourist504
Art Expert

BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.

Imagex6

Postby Danno1 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:12 pm

Snow brush on the floor of my work van.
Danno1
Art Expert

stay thirsty my friends

Postby zefarrett on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:46 am

talkingdeads wrote:
TattooMike wrote:
ironjaiden wrote:I've got a pair of Audioengine A5 powered monitors, a Pro-Ject Debut III turntable and a Pro-Ject Tube Box S. All had for around $1,000.
The sound is outstanding, I can plug my iPod directly into the monitors if I like and the whole setup takes up very little space. Obviously you can go higher end but I couldn't be happier with my current setup and I've listened to systems 10x the price.

The Debut III's are being replaced by the Debut Carbon, which adds a carbon fiber tonearm and a better cartridge for the same price the Debut III was. Very nice upgrade.

Is this still sound advice? I need to junk my current stuff and get adulted

No idea about those speakers, but i have a carbon and love it. The tube preamp he said is pretty nice I think too.

I upgraded to the acrylit platter and got a speed box to switch between the 45 and 33 rpms. Ive got decent speakers/sub and an ok receiver I think. It does the job. Id like to upgrade my preamp when I get the chance.
zefarrett
Art Freak

me owwww
Instagram: zefarrett
Untappd: zefarrett (just pm me who you are)

Postby tourist504 on Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:57 pm

Posted this in its own thread but perhaps it belongs in here:

My wife convinced me to dismantle my home theater system as our 11-month old is crawling now and a motivated lover of button-pushing. I am boxing up and storing my original NES, VCR, and (this is where the biggest change comes in) my beloved receiver, numerous speakers, and speaker stands until such time as I can trust this little boy around my equipment. As I am not going to listen to TV speakers for the next few years, I picked up a Bose soundbar. It sounds great and the extreme reduction in wires and space used has been great. And no buttons for the little guy to push!

Unfortunately the soundbar has only one input, and it is optical. My TV has an optical out, so that part is just fine, but my turntable does not. The TT has an RCA (analog) output. So what I need is a simple way to both connect the TT to an optical port AND switch between the two sources. What would be ideal is a piece of equipment that doesn't appear to exist: a switcher with an optical output and both optical AND analog inputs.

I could buy a powered ADC (analog-to-digital converter, the opposite of a DAC) and run that through an optical switcher, but I don't want to run the signal through too many different components for fear of degradation. Any suggestions? I figured we had a few A/V nuts in here.

Baby-proofing note: I will be keeping my Wii U and PS4 behind magnet-locked doors in the TV stand and running my Apple TV up to a high shelf in a bookcase where it can't be reached. These magnet locks work great on stereo cabinets, too, even with glass doors.
tourist504
Art Expert

Imagex6

Postby 63schoeffling on Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:34 pm

Sonos or gtfo!
63schoeffling
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby hunterjax on Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:58 pm

Considering these

https://www.turntablelab.com/products/a ... ers-walnut

to hook up to my turntable. Wondering if anyone has experience with them and if the upgrade to the AD6 is worth it for the bluetooth over just getting the nearly 1/2 the cost A5+'s.

Also, I'm assuming I can chain my Amazon Echo to the bluetooth in these, but if any knows for sure would also appreciate any input on that.

thanks!
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

PreviousNext

Return to Music