Audiophile discussion

Talk tunes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby mtarail on Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:59 pm

I recently bought a set of floor speakers that my old receiver can't really handle. So I'm looking to get a receiver or amp, and I'm trying not to spend more than $500.

The main 3 criterion I'm looking for are: a warm, analog-like sound, a phono hookup, and 2 channels in the 80-100 watt range, that can easily handle a decent sized set of floor speakers. Less important, but would be nice, is a USB port and/or internal bluetooth.

So far, I'm leaning towards the Yamaha R-S-700. Also thinking about the Onkyo A-9050.

Does anyone here have opinions on those, or have another amp/receiver suggestion?
mtarail
Art Expert

Postby mistersmith on Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:52 pm

Marantz 2200 series :)
mistersmith
Art Freak

electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby fredo on Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:17 pm

Luxman TP-117 if you can find it. I got one my first year o' college on the rec of a friend who worked at a high end joint who said it performed way above its price. It does.
I used it regularly for 10+ years. Still have it somewhere.

ps found it!
eBay 291930718695
fredo
Art God

it is imperative to expedite matters to my satisfaction

Postby veltri on Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:54 pm

Rega Brio has a particularly warm analog sound with a very good phono stage. No bells and whistles but can be had for $500 used.
veltri
Art Expert

strongstuff wrote:i want to watch those fools squirm.

Image Image Image Image Image

Postby mtarail on Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:06 pm

Thanks for the tips!
mtarail
Art Expert

Postby cotis on Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:38 pm

finally taking the plunge and buying a turntable... not looking for anything crazy. medium, consumer level should be fine. hoping to connect it through my Sonos.

any suggestions?
cotis
Art Expert

Postby squalie on Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:25 pm

Anyone have suggestions for some nice turntable bookshelf speakers?
squalie
Art Expert

Postby mwsnibia on Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:57 pm

cotis wrote:finally taking the plunge and buying a turntable... not looking for anything crazy. medium, consumer level should be fine. hoping to connect it through my Sonos.

any suggestions?

1byone Belt Driven Bluetooth Turntable all the way. Looks awesome with this old fashioned vintage turntable look, sound quality is great and price is kind of low to pay for a quality piece of hardware.
I`ve one of these myself and am pretty satisfied with it.
mwsnibia
New User

Postby FrankBooth on Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:17 pm

squalie wrote:Anyone have suggestions for some nice turntable bookshelf speakers?

You looking for Passive or active for these?

Also what is the budget?

mistersmith wrote:Marantz 2200 series :)

My 2325 is my pride and joy, running to a very solid set of JBL L20T3.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Postby mtarail on Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:31 pm

cotis wrote:finally taking the plunge and buying a turntable... not looking for anything crazy. medium, consumer level should be fine. hoping to connect it through my Sonos.

any suggestions?

I picked this up a few months ago. It seemed to get some good reviews, it sounds great, and it's a beautiful looking piece of equipment.

http://www.amazon.com/TN-300-Analog-Tur ... =turntable
mtarail
Art Expert

Postby mistersmith on Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:12 pm

I finally gave up on the dream of a many-thousand-dollar hifi setup because, well, that's just not me and I think it's all a bit silly, past a certain point. And a little after Thanksgiving I saw a bundle on Slickdeals for a complete package, dropped a subtle (note: very, very obvious) hint to the wife, and it became my Xmas present.

So I'm rocking the Audio Technica LP 120 turntable and Klipsch R-15 Reference powered speakers. No need for an amp/preamp, the speakers are powered and have a phono line in. The speakers sound great but they're pretty directional, so having them at ear level makes a big difference: and that's fine since everything lines up great when I'm my listenin' chair. The only thing I would change would be auto-return on the turntable, but, small potatoes. And I kinda wish the speakers had grills, or came with dust covers, but I keep them covered when not using them so, meh.

Anyway, the wife got me all that for like $350, which is amazing for what it is (and the speakers have Bluetooth too, so when it's party time, we can whip out the phones and fire up a playlist or whatever).

mistersmith
Art Freak

electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.

Postby Danno1 on Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:48 pm

I am no audiophile but have wanted a portable Bluetooth for a good while. Radio Shack has this JBL Flip 3 on sale for $70 and I am really happy with it. I upgraded my computer speakers about a year ago with the Mackie's in the background and honestly they pretty much will fill our full bottom level in the house.

Danno1
Art Expert

stay thirsty my friends

Postby 63schoeffling on Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:44 am

They work really well.

And smith.... I've been going to Slickdeals almost daily over the last 7 years. By far the greatest site for deals out there. :pint: I have blown so much money on unnecessary fudge that looks cool, ha.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Postby tourist504 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:11 am

any suggestions?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teac-TN-300-2-Speed-Analog-Turntable-Turquoise-/322287480037

I grabbed one of these a few months ago and have been very pleased. Also reasonably good built-in pre-amp you can turn on or off (if you have your own). My go-to is still an old Technics SL-Q202 direct drive, but the Teac is a well-performing "show" piece for the price.
tourist504
Art Expert

maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.

BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.

jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.

Imagex5

Postby Danno1 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:50 pm

tourist504 wrote:

any suggestions?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teac-TN-300-2-Speed-Analog-Turntable-Turquoise-/322287480037

I grabbed one of these a few months ago and have been very pleased. Also reasonably good built-in pre-amp you can turn on or off (if you have your own). My go-to is still an old Technics SL-Q202 direct drive, but the Teac is a well-performing "show" piece for the price.

Many years ago, like around 1982 I paid $300 for a new technics turntable. $300 was some major jack back then to a 13 year old kid. Believe it or not it was tossed in the garbage while I was in the service and my dad moved. No idea what model # or anything but I have often thought what that thing could be worth now a days.

And that price did not include the needle, that was like another $125.
Danno1
Art Expert

stay thirsty my friends

PreviousNext

Return to Music