Audiophile discussion

Talk tunes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby jpicken on Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:10 pm

If you are using the setup for movie playback, you will want to consider BA225C Center Channel Loudspeaker to be timbre matched with your new BA A25.

When a sound pans across the screen, you generally want the drivers of all channels to be as similar as possible. So when the sound pans from left to center to right on the screen, the sound is uniform across the soundstage.
User avatar
jpicken
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 554
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:23 pm
ImageImageImage

Postby edgar on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:54 pm

HELP PLZ

My receiver that I use to listen to my turntables died.

Need rec's for a replacement.

I am trying to power the following:

Numark im9 mixer

Klipsch KF icon x 2

Klipsch Bookshelf x 2

Klipsch sub x 2

Hoping to spend less than $400.

Thx in advance
User avatar
edgar
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 4253
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:00 am
Grateful69Phish wrote:anybody this stupid doesn't become naturally intelligent!

Postby mtarail on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:28 am

I was hoping someone might have some info for me. Sometimes (not always) when I listen to my stereo at low volume the left speaker will sound muted, or even cut out entirely. If I briefly turn up the volume pretty high, the speaker will start to work. I've researched this issue online a bit. I've checked and re-checked the cables between the speaker and the amp (and bought new ones/re-cut them) to make sure that wiring isn't an issue. Does anyone have this problem or know what fixes it?
User avatar
mtarail
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3074
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:01 am
Location: AZ

Postby mistersmith on Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:34 pm

mtarail wrote:I was hoping someone might have some info for me. Sometimes (not always) when I listen to my stereo at low volume the left speaker will sound muted, or even cut out entirely. If I briefly turn up the volume pretty high, the speaker will start to work. I've researched this issue online a bit. I've checked and re-checked the cables between the speaker and the amp (and bought new ones/re-cut them) to make sure that wiring isn't an issue. Does anyone have this problem or know what fixes it?


If you already vetted the physical connections, and swapped your speakers so you know it's not the speaker itself (open the left one up and make sure the connections in there aren't loose?), then it's internal in your power amp/receiver. If whatever in there that pushed the left channel is dying/broken, you're not going to get full power all the time. I know that's very vague, but I don't know what you have and I don't know fudge about electronic internals anyway. Tubes? Capacitors? Something like that is failing.

My dad's old Marantz did that in the late '90s, the left channel was dead, so I snuck it out to a repair shop and, on Father's Day, he came home from work to a Zeppelin 2 cranked up. That was a good day.

So if your unit is nice enough (giggity) have an electronic repair person put a meter or something on it to see if it's actually working, and see if they can repair it...but if it's not good enough, you probably need a new one.
User avatar
mistersmith
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 13518
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:09 am
Location: SF, CA
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.


Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.

Postby FrankBooth on Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:45 pm

Deoxit, this is more prevalent in the control and volume components of older receivers. Electronics build up gunk like anything else and just need a bit of cleaning.

edgar wrote:HELP PLZ

My receiver that I use to listen to my turntables died.

Need rec's for a replacement.

I am trying to power the following:

Numark im9 mixer

Klipsch KF icon x 2

Klipsch Bookshelf x 2

Klipsch sub x 2

Hoping to spend less than $400.

Thx in advance


$400 is a tough price point but there are yamaha, sony and some onkyo home AV's that fit the bill for most of that minus multiple subs (maybe)

Yamaha would be the better choice for Audio specific.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V483BL ... B06XY9J6BQ
User avatar
FrankBooth
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 2596
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:01 am
Location: Queens, New York
ImageImageImageImage Image

Postby mfaith on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:49 pm

mistersmith wrote:
mtarail wrote:I was hoping someone might have some info for me. Sometimes (not always) when I listen to my stereo at low volume the left speaker will sound muted, or even cut out entirely. If I briefly turn up the volume pretty high, the speaker will start to work. I've researched this issue online a bit. I've checked and re-checked the cables between the speaker and the amp (and bought new ones/re-cut them) to make sure that wiring isn't an issue. Does anyone have this problem or know what fixes it?


If you already vetted the physical connections, and swapped your speakers so you know it's not the speaker itself (open the left one up and make sure the connections in there aren't loose?), then it's internal in your power amp/receiver.


Not necessarily. The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is ruling out whatever component it is that you've hooked up (I'm assuming a record player?). If it's happening with just the internal radio/tuner, then yeah, receiver issues. If you're playing music on a turntable, and this happens, then swap the left and right input channels going into your phono ports, and keep it that way until it happens again. If the problem shifts to the right side, then it's not the receiver, but the record player. If it stays on the left side, then it's probably the receiver. Have you tried that?
User avatar
mfaith
EB Team
 
Status: Active
Posts: 35733
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:50 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Image Image ImageImageImage

Postby sideshowbob on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:11 pm

mfaith wrote:
mistersmith wrote:
mtarail wrote:I was hoping someone might have some info for me. Sometimes (not always) when I listen to my stereo at low volume the left speaker will sound muted, or even cut out entirely. If I briefly turn up the volume pretty high, the speaker will start to work. I've researched this issue online a bit. I've checked and re-checked the cables between the speaker and the amp (and bought new ones/re-cut them) to make sure that wiring isn't an issue. Does anyone have this problem or know what fixes it?


If you already vetted the physical connections, and swapped your speakers so you know it's not the speaker itself (open the left one up and make sure the connections in there aren't loose?), then it's internal in your power amp/receiver.


Not necessarily. The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is ruling out whatever component it is that you've hooked up (I'm assuming a record player?). If it's happening with just the internal radio/tuner, then yeah, receiver issues. If you're playing music on a turntable, and this happens, then swap the left and right input channels going into your phono ports, and keep it that way until it happens again. If the problem shifts to the right side, then it's not the receiver, but the record player. If it stays on the left side, then it's probably the receiver. Have you tried that?


:iagree:

Best of luck diagnosing the problem.
User avatar
sideshowbob
EB Team
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Maryland

Postby mtarail on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:01 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll troubleshoot with the advice. :clap:
User avatar
mtarail
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3074
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:01 am
Location: AZ

Previous

Return to Music



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest