The Grateful Thread...

Talk tunes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby Imatruck on Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:55 pm

A thread deadicated to the discussion of the greatest band of all time.

I was listening to the 12-31-84 Shakedown Street from the So Many Roads Box Set today, and wow.....what a smoker. Had not listened to that one for quite some time and was reminded that it may be the best version I have heard, at least one of the best. I also really dig the Merriweather 6/30/85, Red Rocks 9/7/85 and MSG 9/18/87 versions. What are some of your favorites?

Feel free to discuss this.....or anything else related to the good ol' Grateful Dead in this thread.....
Imatruck
Art Expert

Postby jlabbate on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:08 pm

Imatruck wrote:Image

A thread deadicated to the discussion of the greatest band of all time.

I was listening to the 12-31-84 Shakedown Street from the So Many Roads Box Set today, and wow.....what a smoker. Had not listened to that one for quite some time and was reminded that it may be the best version I have heard, at least one of the best. I also really dig the Merriweather 6/30/85, Red Rocks 9/7/85 and MSG 9/18/87 versions. What are some of your favorites?

Feel free to discuss this.....or anything else related to the good ol' Grateful Dead in this thread.....

that merriweather Shakedown is a rager!!...one of my faves for sure

some other song faves
Scarlet>Fire(Cornell 77 & 3/23/95)
The Other One (Cape Cod 79..MASSIVE Phil Bombs!)
Help>Slip>Franklin's (Buffalo 77, MSG 93 - Murray Show)
Mississippi 1/2 Step (11/6/77)
Eyes of the World (almost any of the '73 Jazzy versions & 6/17/91 Opener)
jlabbate
Art Freak

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby virtualmert on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:22 pm

+1!

Love me some dead.
virtualmert
Art Expert

Image Image

Postby pearlybaker on Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:02 pm

Pretty much any Oade Brothers recording from 85 as well as Freedom Hall Louisville '74 - use to pretty much end every night with a couple one-hitters and play side 1 of that boot with WRS into It's Sin.

Favorite show that I attended would either be Worcester 85 with Bill Walton playing drums or Hamilton, Ont 3/22/90 - the scarlet>fire was a religious experience for a very acid-high crowd since no one was bringing green over the border. People were blitzed for those two shows and the senior citizen security teams were super cool - they just watched and laughed.
pearlybaker
Flipper

All right Hamilton!

Postby caleb on Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:12 pm

i love that freedom hall show. Great eyes, WRS, other1>it's a sin. Cool sound too with just one drummer that year and the wall of sound as big as it ever was. I played the hell out of that tape.
caleb
Art Connoisseur

Postby Imatruck on Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:37 pm

archive.org is pretty much my soundtrack each work day. I am slowly working through each 1985 show as a personal mission of mine.

My favorite show that I attended would have to be 10/16/89...Bob Weir's 42nd Birthday and the final night of the meadowlands run. Dark Star had been broken out at the Hampton Warlocks shows prior to the NJ run, and with it being the final night of the run.....anticipation was running quite high for the Dark Star to make an appearance. The entire show blew me away from start to finish. Of the 175-200 shows that I went to....it is easy to put this one at the top.
Imatruck
Art Expert

Postby Rick_a_c on Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:49 pm

The live music archive is indeed a treasure trove of live shows for bands who don't feel threatened by peeps listening to their music for free. I'm glad the Dead has made up their minds that it's OK for this stuff to be on the archive again after a brief stint when it was taken down.

I know this is sacrilege, but for me, the best of the Dead was when their original 'leader' Pigpen took them on jaunts through the blues. I recognize the role LSD had in the Dead's development, and that their interpretations of the blues was influenced in a significant way by the effects of that drug. However, Pig's voice and feel for the blues, which was certainly alcohol influenced to a certain degree, represented the best of the best for the Dead, and helped them evolve to the American musical treasures they became.
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.

Postby electrachrome on Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:34 pm

Louisville '74 is probably my favorite piece of Dead music.

highest show moment would be Hartford 10/15/83. Space-->Spanish Jam-->St Steven. gives me shivers every time I give it a listen.
electrachrome
EB Team

Postby pearlybaker on Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:37 pm

Imatruck wrote:archive.org is pretty much my soundtrack each work day. I am slowly working through each 1985 show as a personal mission of mine.

My favorite show that I attended would have to be 10/16/89...Bob Weir's 42nd Birthday and the final night of the meadowlands run. Dark Star had been broken out at the Hampton Warlocks shows prior to the NJ run, and with it being the final night of the run.....anticipation was running quite high for the Dark Star to make an appearance. The entire show blew me away from start to finish. Of the 175-200 shows that I went to....it is easy to put this one at the top.

I went to this run - if I remember correctly the Monday night was the night the thug security team at Meadowlands killed the kid Adam Katz. I remember Saturday night after the show going to some friends car which was parked in Giants stadium parking lot and coming back through the covered walkway to Brendan Byrne to get our car and being absolutely freaked out by people running through the tube saying the guards were riding golf carts and beating the fudge out of everybody. There is no doubt the guards beat that kid and threw him down the embankment that night.
pearlybaker
Flipper

All right Hamilton!

Postby turnJBup on Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:40 pm

Took me 30 shows to see that song....
turnJBup
Art Expert

Postby Imatruck on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:07 pm

turnJBup wrote:Took me 30 shows to see that song....

what song? Dark Star?
Imatruck
Art Expert

Postby Imatruck on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:16 pm

pearlybaker wrote:
Imatruck wrote:archive.org is pretty much my soundtrack each work day. I am slowly working through each 1985 show as a personal mission of mine.

I went to this run - if I remember correctly the Monday night was the night the thug security team at Meadowlands killed the kid Adam Katz. I remember Saturday night after the show going to some friends car which was parked in Giants stadium parking lot and coming back through the covered walkway to Brendan Byrne to get our car and being absolutely freaked out by people running through the tube saying the guards were riding golf carts and beating the fudge out of everybody. There is no doubt the guards beat that kid and threw him down the embankment that night.

I went to three of the five during this run (12th, 15th and 16th)....security was as bad as I had ever seen....but we were fortunately never bothered. Saw a lot of people get shook down however....and could not believe it. The March/April 88 run was quite peaceful.....no Issues at Giants Stadium in the Summer of 89 either.....I wonder what got into them for this run.....crazy.
Imatruck
Art Expert

Postby dmm8878 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:49 pm

I was a little late to the party. Only saw 5 shows with Jerry between MSG fall '93 and Giants Stadium summer '95. Still can't believe my parents let me ride the train in on a school night when I was only 15 to see the Dead. :P But I think my first show, 9/21/93, was the best show I caught (Terrapin!). Pretty solid show from start to finish, IMHO. Phil singing Broken Arrow? Hell yes. Here's the link to the SBD --

http://www.archive.org/details/gd93-09- ... beok.flacf

Thanks for the music, Jerry. :notworthy:

And god bless you, Brent. http://vimeo.com/11803382
dmm8878
Art Expert

ottomatik71 wrote:Your punk ass attitude isn't going to help you get this print.

Postby Imatruck on Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:40 pm

dmm8878 wrote:And god bless you, Brent. http://vimeo.com/11803382

things certainly changed post-brent....never got into the Vince voice or sound.....I was always glad wen I saw Hornsby was sitting in.....it seemed to get Jerry a bit more excited.

That Brent clip is from Philly JFK 89. I was at that one and remember laughing at how into it Brent was. Really a fun moment in time. He just did not want that song to end, and he gave it everything he had for sure.
Imatruck
Art Expert

Postby virtualmert on Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:08 pm

Hornsby should have stayed on with them IMO, always thought that, any of the shows he played with them in that era are the heat.
virtualmert
Art Expert

Image Image

Next

Return to Music