Talk tunes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby kansasbbq on Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:54 pm

Such sad news today.

He'll definitely be missed.
kansasbbq
Art Freak

Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq

Postby triporfreak on Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:19 pm

very disheartening. one of the few remaining true rock n rollers. just watched a 3 hour Peter Bogdanovich documentary on the band. what a talent.
triporfreak
Art Expert

Postby 63schoeffling on Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:50 pm

Well, add him to my list of bands I wish I saw but never will. Right behind Prince.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby Kramerica on Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:55 pm

Are we sure he has passed? I have heard conflicting reports.
Kramerica
Art Freak

When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH

Postby jamel-d on Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:56 pm

Kramerica wrote:Are we sure he has passed? I have heard conflicting reports.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/lapd-clari ... tty-death/
jamel-d
Art Expert

THE HORKEY CLUB 2013,14,15,16,17 Image

Postby kansasbbq on Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:11 am

63schoeffling wrote:Well, add him to my list of bands I wish I saw but never will. Right behind Prince.

Saw them 4 or 5 times. Always great/fun!
kansasbbq
Art Freak

Postby jlabbate on Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:48 am

was lucky enough to see Tom as a solo act as well as w/ The Heartbreakers..always a great show..and he wrote some of my favorite songs..RIP
jlabbate
Art Freak

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby tourist504 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:41 pm

I worked backstage security at Austin City Limits in 2006. I came by an Artist Compound wristband from a friendly fellow and slapped it on as soon as I got off my shift an hour before Muse was to go on. I was sat alone at a large, round table reading a free issue of Paste magazine and sipping a free Tito's and cranberry (the Artist areas are full of free stuff) passing the time until Muse was to go on stage. After a few minutes I looked up and saw the remainder of the table had filled with Tom Petty and his entourage. He was sat directly across from me, and he looked at me as though he was waiting for me to notice they were suddenly sharing the table with me. He gave me a little nod, and I nodded back, then went back to reading my magazine, feeling like a seriously cool cat.

Tom was scheduled to go on 15 minutes before Muse was scheduled to finish. Apparently Tom refused to go onstage while anyone else was playing, so they made Muse cut their show short by those 15 minutes. I was standing on stage left at the top of the access ramp when the band found out. They were pissed. They went immediately to their last song ("Take a Bow") and, when they finished, immediately stormed off the stage. They all looked like they were heading to a street fight. I was kind of hoping to shake some hands and take some pictures but changed my mind.

Tom Petty was on the main stage where they didn't allow any jackoff with an Artist wristband to get to the backstage areas (you needed a special wristband the band members themselves had to give you), so I went back to the hospitality area and speed-drank three more free Tito's and cranberry and listened to Tom Petty until it was time to go.

Also the poster sucked.

tourist504
Art Expert

maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.

BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.

jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.

Imagex6

Postby chimpun on Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:47 pm

RIP Tom Petty. American Girl will always be a favorite for just about any occasion, especially driving to the beach.
Great story, Tourist! I can picture you 2 head nodding to each other. I actually kind of like the poster. I would trade that art for several Ames Bros PJ prints for shows I've been to that weren't my cup o tea.
chimpun
Art Expert

Postby toobs on Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:05 pm

saw him 2 weeks ago in san diego sept 17th ... now everytime i hear a song of his these last couple days a tear up randomly . . . its strange, he was my first major stadium concert back in '93-'94 i think - pretty sure it was the first time i was around that much weed - the stadium was jus a plum of smoke - dude was awesome
toobs
Art Expert

Codeblue wrote:Ya know they'll put out at least 1 "ZOMG gotta rub mah nuts on another dukes butt to get in line for it" poster.

Postby finneganm on Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:22 pm

Remember when he played a post-apocalyptic version of himself in The Postman?

Saw him a half dozen times or so, *always* put on a wildly entertaining show.
finneganm
Art Freak

That's what she said

Postby kansasbbq on Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:47 am

Extremely deserving of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
kansasbbq
Art Freak

Postby jjttdw on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:07 am

The American Girl lead in to Silences of the Lambs is one of my favorite starts to a movie.
jjttdw
Art Expert

NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart

Postby GiantBoyDective on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:12 am

jjttdw wrote:The American Girl lead in to Silences of the Lambs is one of my favorite starts to a movie.

that's not the start of the movie but I know what you mean. great song/scene pairing
GiantBoyDective
Art Freak

Image #trollcru

danieldanger wrote:what you do aint hustlin. see, in MY hustle, i get to sell the whole run and each print only costs me like $6. y'alls is small potatoe street level fudge.

Postby soam24 on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:21 am

Saw TP & THB a bunch of times it seems like, but in reality it was probably less then 5. I had a lot of fun at those shows. Man, time flies. This should be a reminder that you SHOULD go see as much music as humanly possible.
soam24
Art Freak

Next

Return to Music