NPR Tiny Desk Concert Series

Talk tunes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby guryter on Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:22 pm

This just blew me away....

guryter
Art Expert

Stingers wrote:If you can't get it up eat less fudge, excersise and stop being a kitten.

john38103 wrote:All gin every thing. drymount all you hoes.

Relax, I honestly don't give a fudge.

Postby pewter14 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:02 pm

cool thread, been into these for a while, look forward to checking out the ones above I've missed.

A few of my faves throughout the years:

pewter14
EB Team

mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.

Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines

Postby Rick_a_c on Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:38 pm

Amanda Fukking Palmer! Yay! :clap:
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.

Postby PaulSeal5 on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:31 pm

Sam Fermin
PaulSeal5
Art Connoisseur

Image x1

Postby guryter on Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:47 pm

Dope.
guryter
Art Expert

Stingers wrote:If you can't get it up eat less fudge, excersise and stop being a kitten.

john38103 wrote:All gin every thing. drymount all you hoes.

Relax, I honestly don't give a fudge.

Postby PaulSeal5 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:51 am

Punch Brothers
PaulSeal5
Art Connoisseur

Image x1

Postby PaulSeal5 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:09 am

Hanson.
They don't play mmmbob!
It's crazy these guys have been a band for over 20 years, they look, and are relatively young. I saw 'The tallest man on earth' earlier this year and zac hanson was playing drums!
I'm not a huge fan but they play well together.

PaulSeal5
Art Connoisseur

Image x1

Postby mfaith on Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:40 pm

Billy Corgan!

Nov. 20, 2017 | Robin Hilton -- Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan is a complicated guy. In the years since that iconic and much-beloved rock band broke up in 2000, Corgan has continued to put out music under various names and projects – including several releases as Smashing Pumpkins, with different lineups – while often stumbling through a bumpy minefield of his own making. To the head-scratching surprise of some longtime fans, he's gotten heavily involved in pro wrestling, talked conspiracy theories during several appearances on The Alex Jones Show (warning of weaponized zombies in one interview), and, over the years, lobbed innumerable grievances about former bandmates, while trashing other musicians and publicly feuding with a revolving cast of celebrities and public figures.

More recently, Corgan seems to have mellowed. He opted to release his new solo album Ogilala, under his (very grownup-sounding) full name, William Patrick Corgan (though he very recently changed it back to Billy Corgan on streaming services and YouTube), and filled the record with beautifully rendered acoustic songs built on piano and strings.

When he settled in for this memorable Tiny Desk performance with a string quartet he'd just met hours before, Corgan was nothing but a good-natured delight. After years of selling millions of records and playing packed arenas, he showed up in a cab with just his tour manager and, during setup and rehearsals, joked about being all DIY now.

Dressed for winter weather in a heavy scarf, hoodie, down jacket and cap, Corgan opened with a stirring rendition of the 1995 Smashing Pumpkins song "Tonight, Tonight." It was a transporting moment that left some fans in the NPR offices a little misty eyed. Corgan then followed with two Ogilala standouts, "Aeornaut" and "Mandarynne," songs about staying strong and true to yourself and soldiering on in the face of a troubled world.

The Smashing Pumpkins always had a soft side, from the more melancholy moments of 1991's "Rhinoceros" to "Sweet Sweet," "Take Me Down" and Adore's gorgeous opener, "To Shelia." But here the beauty and grace of Corgan's poetry and songwriting is on full display.

Set List

"Tonight, Tonight"

"Aeronaut"

"Mandarynne"

MUSICIANS

Billy Corgan (vocals, guitar, piano), Kristin Bakkegard (violin), Livy Amoruso (violin), Paul Bagley (viola), Carol Anne Bosco (cello)
mfaith
EB Team

Image Image ImageImageImage

Postby Rick_a_c on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:22 pm

Look at the string girls with Alt-J on their 2nd Tiny Desk show. Same musician pool Billy used.
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.

Postby mafurman on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:26 pm

I am catching up on a few of these now. Wow, I heard that first Tash Sultana song last year and thought it was very good, but seeing her play is a whole different thing. I never liked Billy Corgan and he seemed to have gone pretty much out of the boat, but this performance is pretty raw and moving. I will have to check out the new album. San Fermin is a band I have been hearing of for a while, but this was my first occasion to actually listen and I was impressed.
mafurman
Art Connoisseur

Postby chalkdust on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:55 pm

great thread! Thanks for posting these
chalkdust
Art Expert

Postby jamel-d on Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:12 pm

jamel-d
Art Expert

Postby mfaith on Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:18 pm

TOM HUIZENGA wrote:Sunny Yang joined Kronos Quartet in June 2013. Now, just five months later, the cellist she says she's learned quite a few new works — not just a handful, but about 70 pieces.

That degree of dedication to contemporary composers, coupled with an insane concert schedule, has propelled Kronos Quartet forward over the past four decades. If they wanted, the musicians — who also include founder David Harrington and longtime members John Sherba and Hank Dutt — could reminisce over more than 800 new works and arrangements they've commissioned in 40 years. But instead, the new-music train pushes ever onward to new territories. They remain a living, breathing world-heritage site for music.

Now in the midst of its 40th-anniversary tour, Kronos brings to this Tiny Desk Concert a new arrangement, a work from a new album and, for Kronos, something of a chestnut, a piece the group recorded a whopping five years ago.

Aheym (Yiddish for "homeward") was written for Kronos by Bryce Dessner; a member of the Brooklyn rock band The National, he studied composition at Yale. The music thrives on nervous energy, pulsating with strumming and spiccato (bouncing the bow on strings) while building to a tremendous fever. It also opens Kronos' new album of Dessner works.

"Lullaby," a traditional song with Afro-Persian roots (from the group's Eastern-flavored 2009 album Floodplain), is woven from different cloth altogether. Colorful tones that lay between our Western pitches are threaded through the music, anchored by a gorgeous solo from violist Dutt; his contribution takes on the warm and weathered sound of a grandmother singing to a child.

Kronos caps off the concert with another hairpin turn, this time to a fresh arrangement of "Last Kind Words," a little-known blues song from around 1930, recorded by singer and guitarist Geeshie Wiley. In Jacob Garchik's exuberant arrangement (which Kronos premiered this fall), interlocking strums and plucks provide a kind of rhythm section, while Harrington's violin stands in for the now-forgotten blues singer.
mfaith
EB Team

Postby mfaith on Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:24 pm

Mar 2, 2012
After a long hiatus, the best-selling Irish pop-rock band is about to return with a new album called Roses. But if this performance at the NPR Music offices is any indication, the group isn't afraid to dip into its arsenal of early hits.

Set List:

"Linger"
"Tomorrow"
"Ode To My Family"
"Zombie"
"Raining In My Heart"
mfaith
EB Team

Postby jamel-d on Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:00 pm

jamel-d
Art Expert