NPR Tiny Desk Concert Series

Talk tunes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby mfaith on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:06 pm

I really love this series on NPR Music (http://www.npr.org/series/tiny-desk-concerts/). There's some really special and remarkable performances. The idea for it, if you've never heard of it, is these bands come and play a handful of songs in the office and behind the desk of NPR's All Songs Considered host Bob Boilen. So you can imagine, they usually have to be pretty stripped down and creatively arranged versions of these songs. Also, I just love an intimate venue more than anything, and this is super intimate. Here are some of my favorites. Share yours if you have some :cheers:

mfaith
EB Team

Image Image ImageImageImage

Postby Rick_a_c on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:08 pm

Alt-J Alt-J Alt-J !!!

:banana:
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.

Postby mfaith on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:24 pm

Rick_a_c wrote:Alt-J Alt-J Alt-J !!!

:banana:

Yes!!! And it's interesting. They're the only ones to have ever appeared twice. Bob addressed this in the description for the second appearance video (the first one in my post).

As the primary booker of the Tiny Desk Concerts, I have this self-imposed rule: No artist can come back for a second visit unless there's something wholly different about what they're doing. The first time alt-J played the Tiny Desk, in 2012, they came as a four-piece; electric guitar, bass, keyboards and drums. They were a pretty new band, their album had been out a few months and they were playing in clubs for a couple hundred people, not much more.

In the five years since the band visited it has found quite a few new fans. When I heard cuts from the newest album Relaxer a few months ago I flipped and tried to think of a way to bring them back. So I wrote them, saying I'd love to have them again but that it would have to be wholly, out-of-the-box different. I told them I'd hire a brass band, an African kora player if need be, a string section... They took up the challenge. They told me to find a cellist and two violinists.

I wrote to my friend Carol Anne Bosco, a cellist, who turned out to be a huge fan of the band and helped find two violinists for the performance. About four days before the performance the band sent the string parts, written by their friend Will Gardner.

On Monday morning, the English band met the American string players and they all gathered behind my desk. As they worked their way through a first pass at "Three Worn Words," I noticed them and relieved — alt-J had actually never heard the string arrangements, this was the first time. They sounded beautiful. By noon, NPR employees and friends gathered around my desk to witness this astonishing concert from alt-J, including two new songs and two old favorites. Magic.

It's so good.
mfaith
EB Team

Postby Rick_a_c on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:33 pm

I saw them a few years ago, and they're back in Atl in about a month.
When I tell people who they remind me of, they look at me like I have 2 heads.

I remember very well when Pink Floyd started out, and then when Syd went solo as he lost his mind.

Alt-J makes me think that they are what the original, pre-Gilmour Floyd may have evolved into.

My $0.02
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.

Postby mfaith on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:35 pm

Nice. Yeah, I'll be seeing them for the first time live at their Austin show in November. :pint:
mfaith
EB Team

Postby mfaith on Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:24 pm

Didn't realize Steve Martin was so skilled at playing banjo.
mfaith
EB Team

Postby piper27 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:40 pm

I'd like to see Steve Martin play with Trampled by Turtles. Now that would be sick.
piper27
Art Expert

Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.

Postby phishstix101 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:08 pm

Been doing it for a long time! Thanks for the link, fun to watch.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (108.26 KiB) Viewed 1786 times
phishstix101
Art Expert

Postby PaulSeal5 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:18 pm

I love this series, I've discovered a few bands from it that have become favourites and been to see live. Here is a handful of my favourites;

Tallest Man on Earth

Nickel Creek

Son Lux

Tune-Yards

Typhoon

I could get carried away posting these!
PaulSeal5
Art Connoisseur

Image x1

Postby mfaith on Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:21 pm

Nice! Thanks Paul. Yeah it's been a great resource for new band discovery. :pint:
mfaith
EB Team

Postby PaulSeal5 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:45 pm

mfaith wrote:Nice! Thanks Paul. Yeah it's been a great resource for new band discovery. :pint:

No problem dude, I would of missed out on a couple of my favourite gigs if it wasn't for the tiny desk series, I've been subscribed for quite a few years now.
I will keep posting :)
PaulSeal5
Art Connoisseur

Image x1

Postby ArchibaldTuttle on Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:16 pm

mfaith wrote:Didn't realize Steve Martin was so skilled at playing banjo.

Yeah, he's a full-on professional. Was fortunate enough to see him and the Steep Canyon Rangers ft. Edie Brickell a few years back at our symphony hall. Excellent musicianship and plenty of jokes.

Recently discovered DRAM and a friend sent me this- it's super fun and he's adorable (really like the album, too). Saw him open for Kendrick.

ArchibaldTuttle
Art Expert

Postby PaulSeal5 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:46 pm

Saw this dude last night, he was awesome, the crowd wasn't. I really hate london crowds at shows sometmes, so much talking, it's so annoying. Do you guys get the same in the US?
Michael you're are a big Alt-J fan, me too. Check this guys new album - "Afterglow'. He's an Icelandic dude who's father is a famous poet, so his dad wrote the lyrics and he sings and writes the music. The first album was sung purely in Icelandic and did really well so it was recorded again in English, so you can choose which language you want, or have both, the new album has both languages

PaulSeal5
Art Connoisseur

Image x1

Postby mfaith on Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:01 pm

Thanks Paul!
mfaith
EB Team

Postby PaulSeal5 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:41 pm

mfaith wrote:Thanks Paul!

No problem.

Rodrigo Amarante