Home Theater/Audio System Quandary

Talk tunes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby tourist504 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:07 pm

My wife convinced me to dismantle my home theater system as our 11-month old is crawling now and a motivated lover of button-pushing. I am boxing up and storing my original NES, VCR, and (this is where the biggest change comes in) my beloved receiver, numerous speakers, and speaker stands until such time as I can trust this little boy around my equipment. As I am not going to listen to TV speakers for the next few years, I picked up a Bose soundbar. It sounds great and the extreme reduction in wires and space used has been great. And no buttons for the little guy to push!

Unfortunately the soundbar has only one input, and it is optical. My TV has an optical out, so that part is just fine, but my turntable does not. The TT has an RCA (analog) output. So what I need is a simple way to both connect the TT to an optical port AND switch between the two sources. What would be ideal is a piece of equipment that doesn't appear to exist: a switcher with an optical output and both optical AND analog inputs.

I could buy a powered ADC (analog-to-digital converter, the opposite of a DAC) and run that through an optical switcher, but I don't want to run the signal through too many different components for fear of degradation. Any suggestions? I figured we had a few A/V nuts in here.

Baby-proofing note: I will be keeping my Wii U and PS4 behind magnet-locked doors in the TV stand and running my Apple TV up to a high shelf in a bookcase where it can't be reached. These magnet locks work great on stereo cabinets, too, even with glass doors.
tourist504
Art Expert

maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.

BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.

jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.

Imagex6

Postby DuoSonic on Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:50 pm

I ended up keeping everything and using a wall-length baby gate (in kind of an accordion set-up) to just keep my daughter out of everything.

I'm trying to think of a solution, but wanted to ask a question: does your turntable have a built-in preamp? If it does, this will be easier. If not, you'll need an external phono amp. Sorry if you already know this.
DuoSonic
Art Expert

Postby tourist504 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:09 pm

DuoSonic wrote:I ended up keeping everything and using a wall-length baby gate (in kind of an accordion set-up) to just keep my daughter out of everything.

I'm trying to think of a solution, but wanted to ask a question: does your turntable have a built-in preamp? If it does, this will be easier. If not, you'll need an external phono amp. Sorry if you already know this.

It does - It's a built-in preamp with a simple bypass switch if you want to supply your own fancy preamp. Trouble is there are no preamps with optical outputs, or at least none I could find.

Since I wrote this I ended up buying an analog to digital optical converter (powered) and an optical switcher. There's no reason this shouldn't work - my only real concern is loss of quality running through all those different components - especially the powered one.
tourist504
Art Expert

maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.

BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.

jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.

Imagex6

Postby DuoSonic on Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:14 pm

It's not ideal, but hopefully it'll sound good enough until you can hook it all back up again. All the switch boxes I've ever had have kept the same signal going in and out except for AV receivers, and that's obviously what you were moving away from. Can't think of a better solution than what you're doing. Hope it works well!

Not getting to hear vinyl in analog makes me twitchy to think about, but such is parenthood :D My turntable is hooked up to the basement where I barely get to listen to music.
DuoSonic
Art Expert

Return to Music