All Things Nine Inch Nails

Talk tunes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby mfaith on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:50 am

From Day for Night. Even though the show was cut short, sounds like it was pretty epic. The storm adding to the intensity.

mfaith
EB Team

Image Image ImageImageImage

Postby mfaith on Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:30 pm

Any thoughts on the big picture meaning of the EP trilogy? When I first took Not the Actual Events for a spin, and discovered that the b-side (of the vinyl release) was the last three songs of the Downward Spiral played in reverse from the end (hurt -> the downward spiral -> reptile), I sort of expected Add Violence to pick up from there and have the preceding set of songs in reverse on its b-side, and again with the third EP. Sort of representing a reversal and unwinding of the spiral, returning from the depths of his despair... But then Add Violence didn't have that, so it was just unique to Not the Actual Events. The two EPs, structurally seem very similar. They're both elliptical, following roughly the same pattern: a banger opener; a spoken-word-heavy follow-up; a centerpiece dirge; a penultimate screamer; and a distortion-heavy comedown to close. It's definitely been interesting to see some of the Year Zero themes come back into play with Add Violence. I read one analysis which suggested that the entire trilogy was supposed to represent some kind of socio-scientific experiment being tested on a couple. That Not the Actual Events was from the perspective of the couple, and they were inside the experiment, which was all an illusion, but didn't turn out the way it was supposed to. And Add Violence shifts the perspective to the experimenters and their reaction to the tests that failed. Tweaking the knobs and re-testing, etc... Not sure I buy into that yet, but it's an interesting take. Curious what you all think
mfaith
EB Team

Postby ottomatik71 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:46 am

So many things I could say to your post........
The Background World is absolutely brilliant!
However the distortion for the last 8 mins is unavoidable and absurd.
Can we please get an edit!
I wish the best for Trent, but i’m Not a fan of Atticus.
We shall see......
This final piece of the trilogy better move the ground that i’m Standing on.
Because so far, with Atticus,we have got mediocre.
ottomatik71
Art Expert

Postby mfaith on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:31 am

ottomatik71 wrote:So many things I could say to your post........
The Background World is absolutely brilliant!
However the distortion for the last 8 mins is unavoidable and absurd.
Can we please get an edit!
I wish the best for Trent, but i’m Not a fan of Atticus.
We shall see......
This final piece of the trilogy better move the ground that i’m Standing on.
Because so far, with Atticus,we have got mediocre.

Dude you can't do that. You can't say all the bad stuff you don't like about the new music is all Atticus, and all the good stuff is Trent. It's not really how they work. It's a very cohesive collaboration; more of a mind meld lol. Listen to the Song Exploder podcast about The Lovers.

And I totally disagree with you about the ending part of the Background World. It's what gives that song its swagger. It makes it unique, gives it relevance. The distortion (as you called) or the deterioration (as I like to see it) is essential! It's part of the story, it's part of the whole. Listen to the entire EP as a whole a few more times and I bet you that it'll start to click. It did for me at least. The first time I listened to it, I legit thought my record had a scratch on it. hahaha. I seriously stopped it and started inspecting the record, looking for the scratch. Not finding it, I put it back on and let it play out, and realized it was all part of the plan. It was by design. Give it a shot and listen to it all from start to finish a few more times, and see if it doesn't grow on you. :cheers:
mfaith
EB Team

Postby chaeldub on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:26 pm

Also Atticus has been part of NIN since With Teeth.

With Teeth (2005) (Production and programming)
Year Zero (2007) (Production and programming)
The Slip (2008) (Production and programming)
Ghosts I–IV (2008) (Songwriter, production and programming)
Hesitation Marks (2013) (Production, programming, arranging and engineering)
Not the Actual Events (2016) (Production, performer and songwriter)
Add Violence (2017) (Production, performer and songwriter)

The Social Network, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Gone Girl, Before the Flood, Patriots Day and The Vietnam War Soundtracks all with Trent. Plus an Academy Award and Golden Globe.

For better or worse he's been part.of NIN and Trents musical lufe for over twelve years.
chaeldub
Art Connoisseur

Postby mfaith on Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:56 pm

chaeldub wrote:Also Atticus has been part of NIN since With Teeth.

With Teeth (2005) (Production and programming)
Year Zero (2007) (Production and programming)
The Slip (2008) (Production and programming)
Ghosts I–IV (2008) (Songwriter, production and programming)
Hesitation Marks (2013) (Production, programming, arranging and engineering)
Not the Actual Events (2016) (Production, performer and songwriter)
Add Violence (2017) (Production, performer and songwriter)

The Social Network, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Gone Girl, Before the Flood, Patriots Day and The Vietnam War Soundtracks all with Trent. Plus an Academy Award and Golden Globe.

For better or worse he's been part.of NIN and Trents musical lufe for over twelve years.

Yep! And my first exposure to him was the year before, because Trent had mentioned liking his work. He was part of a "project" band called Error (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_(band)) and their only release was a self titled EP in 2004. It was super short, only like 17 minutes. But it was such a punch to the gut, it wasn't something I'd soon forget. It was the next year that he started working with Trent on the production side.

Full EP playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTrVbtn ... PzoL8O8z56

mfaith
EB Team

Postby mfaith on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:12 pm

mfaith
EB Team

Postby mfaith on Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:25 am

mfaith
EB Team

Postby brewdog123 on Thu May 10, 2018 11:09 am

brewdog123
Art Connoisseur

Postby mfaith on Thu May 10, 2018 11:29 am

YES!!! :rock:

But no Austin show... :cry:

Emotions all over the place hahah
mfaith
EB Team

Postby pjsteelerfan on Thu May 10, 2018 11:33 am

Dagger for people that can't stand in line next Saturday. Or who travel to shows and don't have a show near them.
pjsteelerfan
Art Expert

Postby mfaith on Thu May 10, 2018 11:50 am

pjsteelerfan wrote:Dagger for people that can't stand in line next Saturday. Or who travel to shows and don't have a show near them.

Yeah, I'm torn on this. I think it's great to try and get more tickets into the hands of fans, rather than scalpers. But your point is also valid, that people wanting to travel for the show are pretty much left out in the cold. With no Austin show, I'd actually consider finally making my way up to Red Rocks for a show (been wanting to see something there forever), but the local preorder thing might kill that idea.
mfaith
EB Team

Postby mfaith on Thu May 10, 2018 11:56 am

TRACKLIST

01. fudge MIRROR
02. AHEAD OF OURSELVES
03. PLAY THE GODDAMNED PART
04. GOD BREAK DOWN THE DOOR
05. I'M NOT FROM THIS WORLD
06. OVER AND OUT

BAD WITCH PRESSED ON 180GRAM VINYL.

INCLUDES YOUR CHOICE OF DIGITAL DOWNLOAD FORMAT DELIVERED ON JUNE 22ND, 2018.
mfaith
EB Team

Postby greenhorn1 on Thu May 10, 2018 12:24 pm

If tickets are handed out in person how does this prevent scalpers? It just helps scalpers local to the show doesn't it?

Anyway, I'm ISO 1 detroit ticket if anyone can help me out.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImageImage
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)

Postby DickButt on Thu May 10, 2018 12:35 pm

greenhorn1 wrote:If tickets are handed out in person how does this prevent scalpers? It just helps scalpers local to the show doesn't it?

Anyway, I'm ISO 1 detroit ticket if anyone can help me out.

It will significantly cut down on it, though. You'll never get rid of scalpers entirely, but I think bands are more taking aim at the businesses that use bots to scoop up thousands of tickets in seconds. That's the concern here IMO.

I personally am fine with the in-person thing, however...saying no lining up before X time is just a disaster waiting to happen. You're always much better off allowing people to camp for however many nights they want. There will be hundreds - probably thousands - of people loitering outside Radio City next Saturday morning waiting to rush into a line at 8a. It's just a recipe for bad fudge.

Also, hype. They aren't stupid. These are small venues.
DickButt
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Music