any golfers on here?

An arena for athletics. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby Tadrules on Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:42 pm

love playing. starting to actually get good too! hoping to shoot par this year..... still don't even have an eagle. i've had 13 putts at it this year but i've choked every time.

i'm sure a lot of people think it's a douchy game. i've never had more fun. prob the most challenging thing i've ever tried to do.

we play skins and pound drinks like white trash at an open bar. :pint:
Tadrules
Art Expert

If you use ULINE tubes, please don't pm me about trades or sales.

Postby mistersmith on Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:55 pm

Tadrules wrote:i'm sure a lot of people think it's a douchy game. i've never had more fun. prob the most challenging thing i've ever tried to do.

Most people practice and practice and practice so they can hit that perfect ball. Me, I go to a range and hit 19 shitty balls, but that 20th is gorgeous...long, straight, etc. And that one makes me say, "ok, if I kept going, I could flip the odds and do that 19 out of 20 times." But that doesn't appeal to me at all. I'm just not motivated at all to hit a golf ball well.

Friends are serious golfers...I usually quit by the 7th hole, just drink beer and smoke cigars and drive the cart.

The other thing that bothers me: it's so damn expensive. The gear, the round...nobody just plays golf, it becomes a lifestyle.

I did shoot a 19 at the caveman-themed mini golf in Ocean City, MD once. That was spectacular.
mistersmith
Art Freak

electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby Danno1 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:27 pm

I'm not very good but I love to play, really can relax while playing. Not something I seem to see a lot of people doing.

I only walk though, and usually wont play with people using a cart. Exception to that is I let my Dad use one, others I would rather just not play with. Carts take all and any joy I get from actually experiencing the golf course and round. I really like to just get out and walk it and enjoy it.

Golf can be kind of cheap, I pretty much stay on municipal courses, dont use a cart and can usually get by on $20-30. Thats not bad for 4.5 hours of golf. I bought a set of clubs at Kmart on sale for $79. Had a decent several year old driver given to me along with a decent wedge. Bought a really nice putter at Golf Galaxy used, had a good stand bag given to me also even though the kmart bag is actually pretty nice. . I actually really like the kmart irons, called RAM and I get just as much good usage as all the guys with $1,200 sets.

I worked at a golf course through high school. My son and daughter both caddy at a country club, son plays a lot, at least 3x a week. He also works in the pro shop. Everything he has is super expensive high end name brand blah, blah, blah. I cant beat him on the course, but I can stay up with him. I am really consistent and will of course have a bad hole here and there, while he will have 4-5 great holes then 1 that just blows all the others to pieces. And when that happens he gets too upset about it and carries it to the next hole, me, I can shrug it off like no problem.

I dont get out and golf as much as I used to though. Been a hectic couple of years with the work schedule.
Danno1
Art Expert

stay thirsty my friends

Postby recycler on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:36 pm

13 for 9 is good, 13 for 18 is unheard of, prob the former. Either way, nice!

Eagles and hole in ones ain't easy...I used to play golf everyday, even worked at a golf course, now I really don't like the courses as they use so much water and pesticides, but it's fun for sure.
recycler
Art Expert

Postby maden on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:46 pm

mistersmith wrote:I did shoot a 19 at the caveman-themed mini golf in Ocean City, MD once. That was spectacular.

One hell of a course. Ocean City has some fantastic mini golf.

maden
Art Expert

We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

Postby mkuborn on Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:04 pm

mkuborn
Art Expert

sixstringer wrote:prints on da ground...prints on da ground...acting like a fool with your prints on da ground!

Postby Tadrules on Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:49 pm

lots of that too.

yeah, i think we are lucky here. lots of cheap golf courses. play twilight for twenty bucks all the time.
Tadrules
Art Expert

Postby GR8Dane on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:26 am

I retired holding the World Championship belt.

Made a seven foot putt on 18 to regain the title.

Then straight to retirement.

The good ol daze.

:lol:
GR8Dane
Art Expert

Postby Tadrules on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:27 am

rematch!
Tadrules
Art Expert

Postby GR8Dane on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:30 am

Cost a lot of money to bring out the old out of retirement.......
GR8Dane
Art Expert

Postby Tadrules on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:38 am

i'll let you tee off from old man tees. the red ones.
Tadrules
Art Expert

Postby evdisease on Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:13 pm

Love golf, I suck, but I love it....something about it, somedays are diamonds but most are rust. I just like getting out there and playing
evdisease
Art Connoisseur

I`m nobody, I never did an exposition and a gallery really, I never show any work anywhere and I`m doing this big show and it`s all a make up kinda way you know....

Postby sk8nshoot1 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:20 pm

evdisease wrote:Love golf, I suck, but I love it....something about it, somedays are diamonds but most are rust. I just like getting out there and playing

Yeah, it really only takes one or two good shots per round to keep you coming back... Nothing like hitting it within 3 feet from 175 yards....
sk8nshoot1
Art Expert

BK: "Flatstock is like chum for flippers"

Postby jjbehren on Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:30 pm

Love golf. I have a lot of friends in the industry so I rarely pay and I get equipment at cost. I'm an 11 handicap. Tadrules, if you're even thinking about shooting par, that's not "starting to get good." That's already good. I've never shot better than 10-over, and I've been playing most of my life and play about twice a week.
jjbehren
Flipper

Postby Danno1 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:32 pm

Yeah if tad is shooting very close to scratch, that is outstanding. 11 handicap is getting pretty good too.

I have come within 20' or so from the pin with a chance at an eagle about 3-4 times that I can remember, blew every one though. I came within about 5' from a hole in one on a par 3, had the daughter caddying for me even that day.

While working at a golf course in high school I was cutting the apron on a green and pulled over for a golfer about to tee off. Guy hits a hole in one, 200 yard par 3. Older guy didnt even notice until he got up to the green and didnt see his ball. That was pretty cool, his first hole in one after many years of golfing.
Danno1
Art Expert

stay thirsty my friends

Next

Return to Sports