MMA News, Rumors & Results

An arena for athletics. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby mr_rugby on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:33 pm

Ken Shamrock will be the fourth man to face Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson when the two icons clash at EliteXC’s third installment of “Saturday Night Fights” Oct. 4 at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla. The headlining bout will anchor a live broadcast on CBS. Sherdog.com confirmed the bout’s signing with multiple parties aware of the fight, while a press release is expected to circulate later today with the news. The 44-year-old Shamrock (26-13-2) beat out fellow candidates Sean Gannon and Brett Rogers, who called out Slice in May, for the coveted slot.

FYI: Ken Shamrock has lost his last five fights by first-round KO/TKO
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Postby Codeblue on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:48 pm

Of course they didn't pick Brett Rogers. Wouldn't want Kim Beau to have a chance at getting knocked out on TV.
Codeblue
Art God

Postby willg on Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:00 pm

Codeblue wrote:Of course they didn't pick Brett Rogers. Wouldn't want Kim Beau to have a chance at getting knocked out on TV.

Obviously Shamrock is way past his prime and even in his prime couldn't compete with today's top fighters. That said I actually think he has a chance against Kimbo. Am I crazy ?
willg
Art Expert

Postby Stroma on Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:25 pm

What's funny is I still won't buy into Rogers, and that's because he would be the favorite in a fight with Kimbo. Elite XC needs to think about their HW division for a bit. If Silva's year long suspension is held up, that means they just lost their newly crowned HW champion. I wouldn't be surprised if Kimbo's next fight (assuming he beats Shamrock) is against Rogers for the HW title. Remember that Elite XC is majorly in the red and they need to push Kimbo as much as they can to make some money back. The UFC is not in the same situation by any means, but they are already talking about a title shot for Lesnar if he gets by his next opponent.
Stroma
Art Expert

Postby mr_rugby on Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:13 am

It sounds like talks between the UFC and “The Natural” are for real, and it’s looking more and more possible that Couture might return to action in front of his former-hometown crowd in Portland to face Brock Lesnar on November 15.

And if that’s not completely crazy enough for you, the UFC is said to be seriously considering an offer from M-1 to co-promote a Randy Couture-Fedor Emelianenko bout down the road. Suddenly we go from a tangled court battle to a couple of blockbuster fights that also have the added advantage of helping the UFC screw Affliction. All just like that. Is your mind blown yet?

The “Couture Compromise” could be announced as early as Tuesday...
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Postby Codeblue on Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:21 am

November? He might need a hip replacement by then.
Codeblue
Art God

Postby Stroma on Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:27 pm

mr_rugby wrote:It sounds like talks between the UFC and “The Natural” are for real, and it’s looking more and more possible that Couture might return to action in front of his former-hometown crowd in Portland to face Brock Lesnar on November 15.

And if that’s not completely crazy enough for you, the UFC is said to be seriously considering an offer from M-1 to co-promote a Randy Couture-Fedor Emelianenko bout down the road. Suddenly we go from a tangled court battle to a couple of blockbuster fights that also have the added advantage of helping the UFC screw Affliction. All just like that. Is your mind blown yet?

The “Couture Compromise” could be announced as early as Tuesday...

If that's the case then the Fedor-Randy fight is going to be at least a year away. Fedor has a three fight non-exclusive contract with Affliction, but apparently a stipulation of it is he can't compete with another US based promotion. This means that Fedor can't fight Randy in the UFC, even if they hold it abroad, until his contract with Affliction has expired.
Stroma
Art Expert

Postby mr_rugby on Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:08 pm

Taken from UFC.com
http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=14272

If we’ve learned one thing in combat sports, it’s to never say never. This old adage was solidified once again today, as UFC President Dana White announced the November 15th return to the Octagon of heavyweight champion Randy Couture to face Brock Lesnar in the main event of UFC 91 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

The announcement comes after nearly a year of contentious relations between the organization and Couture, who walked away from the UFC in October of 2007 with two fights remaining on his contract. But in August, the heavyweight champion and the organization worked on a renegotiation of his contract that will enable ‘The Natural’ to finish his Hall of Fame career with the UFC.
Last edited by mr_rugby on Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Postby exadore on Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:21 pm

I'm hoping Randy's still got something in the tank after almost a year off. Hopefully he isn't overmatched by Lesnar's sheer strength and can capitalize on mistakes like Frank Mir.
exadore
Art Expert

Postby mr_rugby on Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:36 pm

Some quotes from Dana, Randy and Brock about Fedor
http://www.cagepotato.com/2008/09/02/it ... #more-2473

Naturally, the talk turned to Fedor Emelianenko and the chances of making a bout with Couture happen inside the UFC. White certainly didn’t rule it out, but said that as long as the Russian was under contract with “another organization,” the UFC wouldn’t be actively pursuing him.

Asked whether the Fedor fight was essential to his legacy, Couture implied that it was more important to Fedor’s posterity than his own.

“If people are going to take him seriously and give him credit as the number one heavyweight in the world, he needs to come fight me.”

White said he wasn’t sure “if Fedor cares about his legacy,” but quoted Chuck Liddell in saying, “beating Randy Couture means something.”

Feeling a little left out in all this was Brock Lesnar, who blew up when asked whether he’d be interested in fighting Fedor.

“Who gives a fudge about Fedor? I’m fighting Randy Couture, November 15…I don’t care about drymounting Fedor.”

White proceeded to guarantee “over a million” pay-per-view buys for the event, and said the winner would face the winner of the next “Ultimate Fighter” coach showdown between Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Frank Mir. Those two will still fight for the interim title, White said, describing the situation as a “tournament” that would culminate in a “champion-versus-champion” match some time in 2009.

As for what he expected the Fedor situation to be like at that time, White said he would be “drymounting horrified” if Affliction was still in the MMA business by then.

I'm sure Delta will have something to say about all of this....
Last edited by mr_rugby on Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Postby sabotage on Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:40 pm

Lesnar is such a juiced up nutcase! I hope couture punishes that big POS.
sabotage
Art Expert

Postby Codeblue on Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:40 pm

mr_rugby wrote:Some quotes from Dana, Randy and Brock about Fedor

Naturally, the talk turned to Fedor Emelianenko and the chances of making a bout with Couture happen inside the UFC. White certainly didn’t rule it out, but said that as long as the Russian was under contract with “another organization,” the UFC wouldn’t be actively pursuing him.

Asked whether the Fedor fight was essential to his legacy, Couture implied that it was more important to Fedor’s posterity than his own.

“If people are going to take him seriously and give him credit as the number one heavyweight in the world, he needs to come fight me.”

White said he wasn’t sure “if Fedor cares about his legacy,” but quoted Chuck Liddell in saying, “beating Randy Couture means something.”

Feeling a little left out in all this was Brock Lesnar, who blew up when asked whether he’d be interested in fighting Fedor.

“Who gives a fudge about Fedor? I’m fighting Randy Couture, November 15…I don’t care about drymounting Fedor.”

White proceeded to guarantee “over a million” pay-per-view buys for the event, and said the winner would face the winner of the next “Ultimate Fighter” coach showdown between Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Frank Mir. Those two will still fight for the interim title, White said, describing the situation as a “tournament” that would culminate in a “champion-versus-champion” match some time in 2009.

As for what he expected the Fedor situation to be like at that time, White said he would be “drymounting horrified” if Affliction was still in the MMA business by then.

Source?
Codeblue
Art God

Postby sabotage on Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:45 pm

so typical of Dana White and company to try and downplay the significance of Fedor. For Randy to say that fighting Fedor means more to Fedor than Randy is utter bullshit. Fedor does not need to legitimize himself by fighting Couture any more than Randy does against Fedor. they are both champions and Randy should be acting like one instead of engaging in Dana's bullshit games.
sabotage
Art Expert

Postby exadore on Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:03 pm

sabotage wrote:so typical of Dana White and company to try and downplay the significance of Fedor. For Randy to say that fighting Fedor means more to Fedor than Randy is utter bullshit. Fedor does not need to legitimize himself by fighting Couture any more than Randy does against Fedor. they are both champions and Randy should be acting like one instead of engaging in Dana's bullshit games.

I couldn't agree more. Dana White loves playing mind games.

I'll try and find the article, but I read something the other day about NBC dropping EliteXC and working with the UFC to get something going.
exadore
Art Expert

Postby pjtaper on Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:08 pm

silkscreens or lithos?
pjtaper
Art Freak

Next

Return to Sports