soccer...

An arena for athletics. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby Codeblue on Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:31 pm

63schoeffling wrote:Mostly just messing around... always fun getting the real diehard soccer fans riled up.

Dead serious about the US trotting out our major 4 sport rejects though. That part is a fact.

It's pretty tardy if ya think about it. Top soccer players can make just as much (if not more) than they could in the top 4 US sports. It's mostly a matter of the talent and support systems to get players to that level not really existing here. I think as football becomes more taboo here, soccer will get much bigger.
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby 63schoeffling on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:24 pm

Not even an argument if you are talking US. We are such a big country that we can field a solid US team but you are fooling yourself if you think our best athletes are playing soccer, lol. Worldwide it’s a different story but hey... I’m not saying one sport is more enjoyable than the other but it’s pretty impressive that we can throw these guys out and compete (most years) with other countries that are balls deep into soccer.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby Scottjohnston on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:32 pm

That's probably true actually (about the best athletes not playing soccer), I hadn't really thought about that before. Must be why Canada sucks too!

Scottjohnston
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImage

Postby FlapJack on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:40 pm

Codeblue wrote:I think as football becomes more taboo here, soccer will get much bigger.
I agree Blue, but it's probably going to take longer for that to happen now. What a depressing setback! :hanging:

I also agree with Twellman's criticism of the pay-to-play soccer culture in the US. It is an arm n leg to pay for my daughter to play competitive club soccer, and it really alienates a lot of talented kids from getting into the sport.
FlapJack
Art Expert

Postby crkohler on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:36 am

I think the best athlete playing other sports argument is an over used excuse by US fans. Firstly if we look at the top couple teams currently Portugal UEFA 2016 Champion (10 Million People) ranked 3rd, Chile (17 Million People) 2016 CONMEBOL Champion ranked 9th, Belgium (11 Million People) the US population dwarfs these countries at 325 million. We have a much bigger pool to draw from and have more elite athletes. Secondly skills that make someone elite in Basketball and Football (Height and Strength) aren't nearly as important in soccer. Two of the top 3 players in the world are well under 6' Messi 5'7" and Neymar 5'9". Would having all our best athletes play soccer help? Yes, but it's not the reason the US failed to qualify or is ranked 28th in the world and dropping. This USMNT has more than enough talent to be ranked in the top 20 and go head to head with Mexico for CONCACAF dominance. Our main issue is our development system and the lack of focus on team tactics/touch/creativity/moving with out the ball ect., youth soccer typically rewards the fastest kid or first to get to puberty. Teams focus on winning by force, instead of tactics. Kick the ball long and run faster to the ball than the other team. We also have every different youth coach, travel team, high school, and college playing different systems. Countries like Belgium play the same system youth to national team, and it shows in how they play. Its also not a coincidence that the most skilled player the US had a significant portion of his development outside of the US system.
crkohler
Art Connoisseur

Postby hunterjax on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:40 am

wonkabars7 wrote:High level soccer is legit, those guys are beasts. The current roster on our mens team is pitiful, sad that our best player is a 19 year old, who shouldn't have to have all the weight on his shoulders. The entire structure of US soccer needs reevaluated. Also funny is how the women will not only qualify next year in their qualifying rounds, but will kick ass when doing so and may end up winning the cup the year after...yet make a fraction what the men make. Those guys last night had zero heart, zero urgency. Embarrassing.

spot on.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby hunterjax on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:44 am

FlapJack wrote:
Codeblue wrote:I think as football becomes more taboo here, soccer will get much bigger.
I agree Blue, but it's probably going to take longer for that to happen now. What a depressing setback! :hanging:

I also agree with Twellman's criticism of the pay-to-play soccer culture in the US. It is an arm n leg to pay for my daughter to play competitive club soccer, and it really alienates a lot of talented kids from getting into the sport.

Just had this conversation yesterday with a friend. US Soccer barely supports youth soccer and the "elite" club structure of most youth competitive teams has nothing to do with talent or development and everything to do with pay-to-play.

If we ever want to develop world-class players, it has to start with a consistent nationwide youth program.

edit: or all of what crkohler said.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Postby ThierryHenry on Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:20 am

chrisjuniper wrote:
ThierryHenry wrote:
sethalan1 wrote:skip watching a ball being kicked around and watch monsters run into each other as hard as they can. entertainment=american football.

American football sucks ass.

Its too stop - start for me. The skill in football ("soccer") is second to none.

Do you get alot of European games (matches) in the US??

drymounting idiot says drymounting idiotic things.

Clearly, I'm the idiot here. Well done, dumbass.
ThierryHenry
Art Expert

Postby wonkabars7 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:16 pm

In related news, Arena just stepped down.

Too little, too late.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Postby hunterjax on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:32 pm

Gulati (sp?) should be doing the same.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Postby ThierryHenry on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:46 pm

Ireland are in the World Cup playoffs having knocked Wales out. The draw is next week.
Some very tough opposition ahead though (either Italy, Croatia, Denmark or Switzerland I think).
ThierryHenry
Art Expert

Postby crkohler on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:39 am

I didn't always like Klinsmann as a manager for the USMNT but he did a tremendous amount for improving the US Development system. Gulati needs to be gone as well, he won't because he lead the US effort to get the World Cup. Arena was nothing more than a stop gap, the next hire needs to be from outside MLS and have a strong background in development. The ridiculous comments after the game by Arena, that nothing needs to change were idiotic at best. The mentality that MLS and the USMNT need to be connected is holding us back. MLS is improving and will continue to improve, but no one thinks it will challenge La Liga, Premier League ect. anytime in the next decade. To develop world class talent you need to play in top leauges, MLS isn't currently a top league.
crkohler
Art Connoisseur

Postby ThierryHenry on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:23 am

Denmark v Ireland
N Ireland v Switzerland
Sweden v Italy
Greece v Croatia

World cup play offs.
ThierryHenry
Art Expert

Postby cerebus on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:45 am

ThierryHenry wrote:Denmark v Ireland
N Ireland v Switzerland
Sweden v Italy
Greece v Croatia

World cup play offs.

Sweden v Italy the pick of the bunch there. Zlatan must be gutted - I'm sure that, if they make it to the WC, he'd be 'open' to coming out of retirement for one last hurrah.

Tricky ties for the Irish teams, though I think Switzerland are a little overrated.
cerebus
Art Expert

Postby ThierryHenry on Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:58 pm

All tricky ties really but delighted not to be playing Italy or Croatia.
ThierryHenry
Art Expert

Previous

Return to Sports