FIFA World Cup 2018

An arena for athletics. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby Count on Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Only caught extra time but what a finish to the game. That goal by Mandzukic really showed his poacher’s instinct - he anticipated the header and the English defenders were nowhere when he chased that ball. Great run and cool finish. Goalie had no chance. And Mandzukic was clearly knackered by then after that collision with Pickford not long before that. He clearly showed up when his team needed him to.

Great credit must go to Croatia for digging deep to win this after fighting back from a goal down. Coming off the physical and emotional strain of two 120mins matches and penalty shootouts (they had to come from behind in all 3 knockout games), this was a heroic performance. You could tell they wanted this badly. I wonder how much gas they have left in the tank for the game against France, but this is the freakin World Cup Final so everyone is going to be super pumped and they know they are a game away from making football history.

It has been a fantastic World Cup, full of drama and moments. I couldn’t give a fudge about the meaningless game that is the 3rd place playoff, but here’s hoping we get a classic final on Sunday.
Count
Art Expert

Postby pjsteelerfan on Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:25 am

Hope Croatia has one more big game in them. Would be great to see them win it all.
pjsteelerfan
Art Expert

Postby Count on Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:14 am

This video was uploaded a week ago. Guy bets $3k on Croatia to win the World Cup and gets a tattoo to boot. Awesome!
Count
Art Expert

Postby Codeblue on Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:59 am

Damn, looks like I missed a busy half. Stupid silent alarm.
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby finneganm on Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:22 pm

Lulz
finneganm
Art Freak

That's what she said

Postby bert on Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:08 pm

That was an entertaining finish to a great World Cup.

France deserved winners. It feels like they won it at a canter, but they beat some tough teams. A squad packed with talent.
bert
Art Expert

Postby Count on Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:23 am

Most entertaining final in decades. Congrats to France, but one has to feel for Croatia. It has been a great World Cup overall.

See you in 4 years!
Count
Art Expert

Postby ricv64 on Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:51 am

I wasn't crazy about this moment
ricv64
Art Expert

shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila

Postby bubbie on Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:31 am

bert wrote:That was an entertaining finish to a great World Cup.

Count wrote:Most entertaining final in decades.

Watched the final game yesterday at night (finally). What a game!
Croatia played their best. Given that they played additional 30 minutes in three consecutive games prior to the final, they were really amazing. I do feel for them and they may have been a better team, IMO. The French did well though and deserved it.

Modric getting the honours of being the best footballer of the tournament is awesome and well deserved. The guy is a drymounting beast! And probably just a good human being:

Modric.jpg
Modric.jpg (99.02 KiB) Viewed 565 times

Have you seen him jumping and fighting for those headers in the semis against England? Pretty drymounting insane at height of 172 cm. The dude gave it all he had. Well deserved golden ball.

Overall, what a great cup! Not sure if I saw a better one. Germany going home before the knock out stage for the first time in history, Russia getting so close to beating Croatia, Belgium getting close to being knocked out by the Japanese, etc. Just great tournament.

The disappointment of the tournament is, of course, Germany. The surprise... I am going to go with Russia. Who knows what could have been if it was not for the two really drymounted up penalty kicks by Smolov and Fernandez. One never really knows in soccer, but I think they would beat England. They looked much better against the Croatians than the lions did. They would definitely be taken apart by the French though - neither skill, nor speed come even close.

Hope the next cup is just as good!
bubbie
Art Expert

Postby bubbie on Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:36 am

Forgot to add...

Luls at the all the media antihype (especially the British media) saying that fans should not go to Russia and that it is a drymounted up country and those who go will be discriminated against, robbed, raped, beaten and killed and then raped and beaten again.
bubbie
Art Expert

Postby bert on Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:03 am

Agree with pretty much everything you typed there, bubbie. Amazing effort by Croatia considering they’d played 3 x extra time games in the lead up. If it wasn’t for the penalty (which some argue wasn’t a pen), things could have worked out differently. Modric is a brilliant player, best midfielder in the world over the last year.

bubbie wrote:Forgot to add...

Luls at the all the media antihype (especially the British media) saying that fans should not go to Russia and that it is a drymounted up country and those who go will be discriminated against, robbed, raped, beaten and killed and then raped and beaten again.

Agree again, there’s a pretty strong anti-Russia agenda in the press here. It was the same for the World Cup in Brazil, Olympics in China etc etc, always loads of stupid scare stories. I went to the Euros in France 2016 and the terrorism incidents in Belgium/France around that time were being used to drum up fear in the press ahead of the tournament...everything was as so well organised, there was zero chance of anything happening and I had an amazing time.

Having said that, the violence in Marseille at Euro 2016 was pretty nasty - Russian hooligans smashed the England fans up pretty badly, so I don’t blame any England fans that stayed away because they were concerned by that.

Qatar in 4 years will be interesting. I’m a bit cynical as it feels like they bought the tournament under Blatter’s corrupt rule and I hate the way these oil rich states use migrant slave labour in appalling conditions (hundreds have died building the stadiums). I find it hard to support that with my £.
bert
Art Expert

Postby bubbie on Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:35 am

I don't want to leave this thread on this note, but it was not like the "Russian hooligans" just came and smacked innocent English fans sitting and peacefully sipping their beers ;)

As for Qatar, we will see what the media will have to say about it :lol:
Seriously though, I am not overly excited about having the tournament in Qatar. The good thing about it though is that there will be reports about the country, good and bad (mostly bad, I am assuming). Who knows, maybe the pressure of the event of that scale will do some good to the country. Not likely, but who knows.
bubbie
Art Expert

Postby bubbie on Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:19 pm

bubbie
Art Expert

Postby bubbie on Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:54 pm

bert wrote:Qatar in 4 years will be interesting. I’m a bit cynical as it feels like they bought the tournament under Blatter’s corrupt rule...

Aug 5, 2018 Sepp Batter says Qatar cheated to host World Cup
The disgraced former Fifa president, Sepp Blatter, has claimed that his fellow executive committee (Exco) members ignored advice that Qatar was incapable of hosting a World Cup when they voted to award the competition to the Gulf state.

He alleges Qatar’s shock victory was a combination of a rule-breaking collusion deal and political pressure exerted on Michel Platini, the French Exco member.

The claims are made in Blatter’s recently published book Ma Vérité (My Truth), the 82-year-old’s defence of his 17-year reign as Fifa president, which ended with a six-year ban from football.

Blatter says “nobody” on the Fifa Exco, which was superseded by the Fifa council in 2016, read the detailed inspection report on the candidate countries, because they had all already made up their minds.

“If we had read them carefully, we would have seen that the World Cup could not be played in Qatar,” he writes.

He claims Platini called him to say he had been pressed to change his vote during a lunch in 2010 with Nicolas Sarkozy, then the French president, and Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, now the Emir of Qatar. This has always been denied by Platini.

Blatter says: “I do not know and I do not want to know if there is a connection between the Qatar World Cup award and what happened next.” He then notes that the Qataris spent billions of euros in France on an aircraft contract and on buying Paris Saint-Germain football club.

Jul 29, 2018 Former FA chief Lord Triesman calls on FIFA to reconsider England as 2022 World Cup hosts if Qatar are stripped

FIFA have been urged to reconsider England as potential 2022 World Cup hosts if Qatar are shown to have broken rules with a 'black-ops' campaign to sabotage their rivals.

Qatar's winning bid used former CIA agents and a PR agency to spread fake propaganda about their main rivals the US and Australia, according to documents leaked to The Sunday Times.

FIFA rules forbid bidding countries from 'making any statement' about the candidacy of other member associations.

But according to a whistleblower, Qatar was aware of a plot to spread 'poison' against its rivals and spent thousands trying to discredit their bids in their own countries ahead of FIFA's call to award them the tournament in 2010.

Now Lord Triesman, former chairman of the Football Association, is calling on FIFA to step in.

'FIFA's obligation is to look at the evidence thoroughly and rapidly and have the courage to take what may be a difficult decision,' said Triesman, who chaired England's original bid for the 2018 tournament.

'If Qatar is shown to have broken the FIFA rules, then they can't hold on to the World Cup.

'I think it would not be wrong for FIFA to reconsider England in those circumstances ... We have the capabilities.'

Qatari football officials denied any wrongdoing on Sunday, stating that they had 'strictly adhered to all FIFA's rules and regulations'.

Last year, a FIFA report into allegations of corruption in the bidding process made no suggestion that Qatar should lose the right to stage the World Cup, despite detailing numerous attempts to influence voting officials.

MP Damian Collins, the chairman of parliament's Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee, called for a new 'proper, independent investigation' into the latest allegations on Sunday.

'I've met the whistleblower myself,' Collins said, 'and seen the evidence that he's brought forward. I think these are serious matters and there needs to be a proper, independent investigation of them.'

Speaking on BBC Radio 5 Live, he added: 'If the Qataris have broken the rules, they should face some sanctions.'

Those sanctions could include fines or even losing the right to host the tournament.

But a FIFA statement said: 'A thorough investigation was conducted by Michael Garcia and his conclusions are available in the report.'

According to The Sunday Times, the alleged smear campaign included paying a professor £6,900 to write a damning report on the huge economic cost of a World Cup in the US and rallying Australian rugby-supporting students into protesting against their nation hosting the football tournament.
bubbie
Art Expert

Previous

Return to Sports