Sports Betting

An arena for athletics. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby Irishman12 on Mon May 14, 2018 4:15 pm

"The Supreme Court struck down a federal law that prohibits sports gambling Monday in a landmark decision that gives states the go-ahead to legalize betting on sports." http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/23501236/supreme-court-strikes-federal-law-prohibiting-sports-gambling

Adam Silver and the NBA are on board. Rumor is they're seeking to get a 1% cut for every bet placed upon the outcome on any of their games. It seems MLB wants to ensure the integrity of their game does not change. Will this corrupt professional/college sports? Thoughts?
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby pvecchi on Mon May 14, 2018 4:27 pm

Irishman12 wrote:Adam Silver and the NBA are on board. Rumor is they're seeking to get a 1% cut for every bet placed upon the outcome on any of their games. It seems MLB wants to ensure the integrity of their game does not change. Will this corrupt professional/college sports? Thoughts?

God I hope not....that just sounds like a cash grab to me....how is that supposed to "insure integrity" lol
I'm guessing that 1% thing will never fly, especially when the vig is 5% in Vegas. It would probably take an act of Congress to do something like that, and I don't see that happening until at least after the midterm
Last edited by pvecchi on Mon May 14, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pvecchi
Art Expert

Postby SwampButt on Mon May 14, 2018 4:41 pm

Where are there 5 cent lines in Vegas?
SwampButt
Art Enthusiast

Postby dweebofthedead on Mon May 14, 2018 4:46 pm

subbing
dweebofthedead
Art Expert

Postby fredo on Mon May 14, 2018 5:04 pm

Right now we have the unions and we have the gambling and those are the best things to have.
--Matthew 4:11

ps how the hell is the NBA gonna collect anything from this? Does Vegas cut the NFL a check?
fredo
Art God

just a foil for me today, thanks

Postby pvecchi on Mon May 14, 2018 5:10 pm

SwampButt wrote:Where are there 5 cent lines in Vegas?

http://www.majorwager.com/guide/sports-gambling-vig.htm
pvecchi
Art Expert

Postby jjttdw on Mon May 14, 2018 5:14 pm

Maybe its less nowadays but the mob used to control a fair amount of non Vegas sports betting action. I always thought that the Vegas only rule was for their benefit. With the intrusion of the internet into sports betting I suppose there was little reason to keep the rule.

Gambling and the lottery are just taxes on stupidity and to prove my point I have to pick up a couple Powerball quickpicks.
jjttdw
Art Expert

NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart

Postby SwampButt on Mon May 14, 2018 6:02 pm

pvecchi wrote:
SwampButt wrote:Where are there 5 cent lines in Vegas?

http://www.majorwager.com/guide/sports-gambling-vig.htm

Interesting, I thought vig meant the same thing as juice. Thanks for the link
SwampButt
Art Enthusiast

Postby ygolohcysp on Mon May 14, 2018 7:00 pm

I hope they display the average odds and betting volume right on the TV while the game is playing.
ygolohcysp
Art Connoisseur

Postby Irishman12 on Tue May 15, 2018 12:59 pm

I'm just honestly surprised it passed at the federal level. I never understood why Vegas was the only one to benefit? I know in recent years they had talked about it in New York and New Jersey. Also, it gives states the ability to legalize sports betting. I'm sure they're still be holdouts (New York maybe being one of them and perhaps some southern states who feel gambling is a "sin")
Irishman12
Art Expert

Return to Sports