MLB 2018

An arena for athletics. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby cotis on Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:46 pm

I still see Yanks making a deal for a SP such as Cole from Pirates or Corbin from D'Backs. Cash is just waiting out the market, waiting to fleece whomever.

crazy that the Free Agent hot stove has been cold as ice. I think you're gonna see a lot of people sign one year deals with options for much less than what was anticipated.

i'll take Toddfather back on a cheap deal. great clubhouse guy, does so much for community here, and smacks dingers. :thumbdown:
cotis
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:48 pm

I agree, would definitely take back Todd Fraizer but only on a one or two year deal. As for Cole, I don't want him. I'm tired of hearing about how the Yankees are thinking of trading Clint Frazier because they have a surplus in the outfield and Ellsbury isn't waiving his no trade clause. I understand they have a logjam out there but all I kept hearing about when they traded for him was was his "legendary bat speed." So if that's the case, first I wouldn't give up on him. Secondly, if I did, it would be for someone better than Gerrit Cole!
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby PrintNoob87 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:20 pm

IN STEARNS WE TRUST
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:37 pm

Woke up to 2 surprising moves today by the Brewers. Hey, I give them credit, much like they did in 2008 when they traded for CC Sabathia, the team is going for it. The Cubs should still win the division but they'll have some competition (unless they sign Darvish or another front line starter).
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby PrintNoob87 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:56 pm

Brewers aren't done. They'll flip an outfielder or two for some starting pitching and are supposedly still in on Darvish or Arrieta, although I'm guessing there's no way theirs is the top offer for either one.
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Postby RadRacing on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:35 pm

Darvish is overrated IMO.
RadRacing
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:01 pm

So the offseason has been pretty quite as of late with really only 2 significant signings: Lorenzo Cain to the Brewers for 5 years and $80 million and Wade Davis to the Rockies for 3 years and $52 million. What do you think is holding up the signings this offseason? The players and agents are crying collusion. I don't buy that. I honestly feel teams want to get under the luxury tax threshold to reset their penalty and are holding off for next year's free agent class since it'll be potentially the greatest in MLB history. It's as simple as that in my opinion.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby treweman on Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:10 pm

I agree. Also recent history suggests that a fair number of the free agents who command the largest contracts haven’t lived up to the hype. I think that most of the unsigned players lack consistency, have injury histories, or carry baggage (I.e. they are not sure things).
treweman
Art Expert

Postby RadRacing on Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:43 pm

Former MLB Pitcher Esteban Loaiza Arrested With Over 20 Kilograms of Drugs

Former MLB pitcher Esteban Loaiza was arrested last week in San Diego and faces several felony drug charges, according to the San Diego Sheriff's Department.

Loaiza was arrested last Friday and is being charged with possession and transportation of heroin and cocaine for sale of over 20 kilograms and transportation/sell of narcotics or a controlled substance.

Loaiza's bail was set at $200,000 and he is scheduled to appear in court on Wednesday.

The 46-year-old Loaiza pitched for 14 seasons for nine major league teams. His last season was in 2008 when he spent time with the Chicago White Sox and Los Angeles Dodgers.

A two-time All Star, who finished second in the AL Cy Young award voting in 2003, Loaiza finished his career with a 126–114 record.
https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/02/12/esteb ... rug-charge
RadRacing
Art Expert

Postby cotis on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:49 pm

cotis
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:55 pm

So Darvish signs with the Cubs for 6 years, $126 million. I wonder if this will be the first domino for the rest of the available free agents to find new homes? Honestly, I think this move could put the Cubs as the NL favorites. I think they suffered from the World Series hangover last year and I expect them to bounce back this year (although they still did make it to the NLCS)
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:35 pm

Hosmer signs with the Padres for 8 years and $144 million with an opt out option after year 5. Not a bad signing for San Diego and they knew they wouldn't be able to compete with the bigger market teams next offseason so decided to spend this year. I applaud them :clap:

In other news: rumor is Manny Machado will be in pinstripes next season when he becomes a free agent and appears set on signing with the Evil Empire!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2018/02/17/manny-machado-shortstop-yankees/347912002/
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby cotis on Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:44 pm

Nightengale is a moron, all that him saying this does is put even more eyes and more angst on Yankees and Machado. can't wait for the "Yanks buying another championship..." stuff starts with this. heard the chirping from people about the Giancarlo deal but hey - if you can make the deal for a bag of peanuts, then you make the deal.

If he is deadset on playing SS (he will get his chance this year it seems), then who knows what he does. I don't think he will let wanting to play SS v. 3B hold him back in a big money deal though. Yanks offer $30m/year for 10 years if he plays 3B and Orioles offer $25m/yr for 10 years to play SS. I feel he's going to take the money.

but hey, I'm all for hoping Andujar comes out swinging and then the Yanks don't even have to worry about it! :D
cotis
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:53 pm

cotis wrote:Nightengale is a moron, all that him saying this does is put even more eyes and more angst on Yankees and Machado. can't wait for the "Yanks buying another championship..." stuff starts with this. heard the chirping from people about the Giancarlo deal but hey - if you can make the deal for a bag of peanuts, then you make the deal.

If he is deadset on playing SS (he will get his chance this year it seems), then who knows what he does. I don't think he will let wanting to play SS v. 3B hold him back in a big money deal though. Yanks offer $30m/year for 10 years if he plays 3B and Orioles offer $25m/yr for 10 years to play SS. I feel he's going to take the money.

but hey, I'm all for hoping Andujar comes out swinging and then the Yanks don't even have to worry about it! :D

I totally agree. I'm so sick of the weak "the Yankees buy all of their championships" line. I bet most people don't know that on the 2009 squad, the Yankees had more homegrown talent on that team than free agents. Back to the story, I could see this happening. Machado right now is 25 (he'll be 26 in July). The Yankees are obviously attempting to get under the luxury tax line to reset their penalty and go after free agents in next year's class, which I'm completely in favor of! For the last few seasons it's been discussed the Yankees would take a run after Bryce Harper. But after the emergence of Aaron Judge last year and the trade now for Giancarlo Staton, they don't need Harper. I'm not sure if they would necessarily "need" Machacdo but I guess you can never have too many bats in the lineup. Didi has really earned his stripes, especially after taking over for an icon like Derek Jeter!

I'm not sure if Torres or Andujar are going to make the big league roster out of camp. Personally, I'd like to see both get more seasoning in the minors (especially Torres). If the Yankees wait just 16 days into the season, they gain another year of club control. Cashman said that won't play a role in determining the roster for the upcoming season. Do you believe him or is he just posturing? Also, with him missing so much time last year due to injury, I'd rather him face Triple A pitching rather than MLB.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby Jpup on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:52 pm

If Machado goes to the Yanks that lineup would be absurd... JD Martinez to the BoSox...
Jpup
Art Connoisseur

PreviousNext

Return to Sports