NBA 2017-18

An arena for athletics. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby jkw3000 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:23 pm

Another what-if to add to the pile.

Feel bad for IT - was a fan but the same drive that made him compete his ass off also backfired when it came to managing his injury. Boston was cold-blooded but made the right call given his age, size, injury, and desire for a max contract when, given his stature, it was impossible to ever see him managing decent defense. At least Kyrie is capable of being passable (or at least not a negative) at that when actually engaged. That Brinks truck comment, man...
jkw3000
Art Freak

35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.

Postby jkw3000 on Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:37 am

In an unexpected bump - Kawhi and Danny Green to the Raptors for DeRozan, Jakob Poeltl, and a protected 2019 1st. Dunno if I like the deal from the Spurs' side of it, but trading for Kawhi is so risky between his injury and his lust for LA that I guess I shouldn't have expected a huge return.
jkw3000
Art Freak

Postby kansasbbq on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:10 am

Hope the Spurs can teach DeRozan how to play defense.
kansasbbq
Art Freak

Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq

Postby RadRacing on Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:26 am

Well, as a RAPS fan I'm not happy about it either.
RadRacing
Art Expert

Postby cotis on Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:37 am

neither is Kawhi, apparently.
cotis
Art Expert

Postby Kramerica on Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:41 am

None of the players involved are happy about from what I have read.
Kramerica
Art Freak

When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH

Postby Irishman12 on Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:27 pm

Spurs did the smart thing and at least traded him out of the Western Conference. Who knows, maybe Toronto will flip him at the trade deadline if he still insists he's going to LA next summer?
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby mtarail on Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:07 pm

I read an article on SI that I've gotta agree with. Even if Toronto only gets 1 year of Kawhi, it's a good deal for them. What has happened in the playoffs in Toronto for the last few years has proven that DeRozan, as great as he is, is not going to be the centerpiece of a team that competes for a title. And if that's the case, you might as well dump that salary, shoot for an upgrade with Kawhi, and if that doesn't work you're in position for a full rebuild. Keeping DeRozan around long term at this point is just treading water to be a team that makes shallow runs in the playoffs for the next few years.
mtarail
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:45 am

Just read an article that said that Kawhi might sit out all of next season and refuse to play for the Raptors. Not sure if there's any truth in it, but I think that would be hilarious... :lol:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby Kramerica on Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:49 am

RottenAtom wrote:Just read an article that said that Kawhi might sit out all of next season and refuse to play for the Raptors. Not sure if there's any truth in it, but I think that would be hilarious... :lol:

I believe if he does that he does not fulfill his contractual obligations for the year and would therefore be under contract for another season with Toronto.
Kramerica
Art Freak

When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH

Postby Irishman12 on Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:40 pm

Kramerica wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:Just read an article that said that Kawhi might sit out all of next season and refuse to play for the Raptors. Not sure if there's any truth in it, but I think that would be hilarious... :lol:

I believe if he does that he does not fulfill his contractual obligations for the year and would therefore be under contract for another season with Toronto.

Wouldn't be a good look either in terms of his reputation.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby kansasbbq on Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:59 am

Irishman12 wrote:
Kramerica wrote:

Wouldn't be a good look either in terms of his reputation.

Too late. He has already damaged that.
kansasbbq
Art Freak

Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq

Postby Irishman12 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:10 pm

Yeah but he can attempt to rebuild his value this season and hope for a max contract next. If he stomps his feet and sits out again this season, who's gonna wanna take a chance on him?
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby jjttdw on Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:15 pm

IMO he should rehab until he is 100% the play out the season. I think he hurts his value if he sits out or gets reinjured
jjttdw
Art Expert

NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart

Postby jkw3000 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:39 pm

The tough part is he's already hurt his value by being out - the Godfather offers San Antonio hoped for were compromised partially by how nobody's seen whether or not Kawhi's back to MVP candidate level.

It's already a weird moot point in that the Lakers are in the driver's seat and if I were them and Kawhi doesn't play it out, you could absolutely offer him below the max. What's he going to do, crawl to some other franchise that probably wouldn't give him a max either without seeing whether he's fully recovered?

Either way, he's taking a risk with whatever he chooses to do. But whatevs, not a fan of him after hearing some of the bullshit his handlers pulled - I get it if you want to go to a certain team or want to use leverage to get what you want, but stuff like "his handlers hid him as soon as San Antonio people showed up to check in on his injury recovery process" is hilariously childish. Like, the-Knicks-avoiding-the-Rockets-trying-to-hand-restricted-free-agent-offer-for-Jeremy-Lin level childish.
jkw3000
Art Freak

PreviousNext

Return to Sports