NBA 2017-18

An arena for athletics. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby pencilfightchamp on Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:57 pm

Today capped off an incredible offseason for OKC. Westbrook signs on for another 5 years, and with the addition of Paul George and Melo, this year could have a little bit of intrigue. Golden State is still the odds on favorite, but OKC has the talent to give them a run. Houston looks strong, Boston made some strong moves, and Cleveland will always be in the mix with Lebron. And of course, everyone always downplays the Spurs, but they got better in the offseason, as well. It's lining up to be a fun season.
pencilfightchamp
Art Connoisseur

Postby Habit333 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:43 pm

I want to see Lebron/Dwade/Rose... If those two stay healthy... oof.
Habit333
Art Connoisseur

Postby jkw3000 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:45 pm

OKC will be real interesting to see - on paper it's such a good Big 3, but I guess I just don't know how I feel about the on-the-court fit. George was and is a great pickup, but Melo with Russ is gonna be fascinating. Same with Paul and Harden in Houston. Either way the West is bruuuuuuutal once again.

East feels like it's just Cleveland and Boston - everybody else is either up-and-coming or meh.
jkw3000
Art Freak

35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.

Postby 63schoeffling on Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:12 pm

I’m the end, nothing matters if GS stays healthy. Everyone trying to get their own superteam will all be for naught. The Sixers... if everyone stays healthy will be primed for a run once GS’s window starts to close.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby timmyummy on Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:19 pm

The Sixers and Thunder will definitely be interesting to keep an eye on.
timmyummy
Art Enthusiast

Postby mtarail on Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:51 pm

I think the Celtics now pose a very legit threat to the Cavs in the east. I don't know how they could get past the Warriors assuming those guys stay healthy. As for OKC, they should be able to win more games, but at the end of the day they have 2 elite players at the same position. Neither of those guys are in the right spot at PF. If they had kept Obaka this would be a very interesting team. Without him, they are now hurting at PF and are putting an incredible amount of stress/faith in Adams.
mtarail
Art Expert

Postby canuck on Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:40 am

Not so fast ladies and gentleman. Don't count out the Jazz. We got Rubio now! :hanging:
canuck
Art Freak

Image Image Image Image

Postby pencilfightchamp on Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:31 am

mtarail wrote:I think the Celtics now pose a very legit threat to the Cavs in the east. I don't know how they could get past the Warriors assuming those guys stay healthy. As for OKC, they should be able to win more games, but at the end of the day they have 2 elite players at the same position. Neither of those guys are in the right spot at PF. If they had kept Obaka this would be a very interesting team. Without him, they are now hurting at PF and are putting an incredible amount of stress/faith in Adams.

It's a fair point, but this team was constructed with the Warriors in mind. When Golden State goes to their death/small ball lineup, OKC can match them heads up. The Warriors small ball line up forces the switch and most teams don't have the versatility because they don't have the personnel to guard multiple positions. Carmelo isn't the best defender, but he can match up okay with Iguodala or Draymond.

Westbrook - Curry
Roberson - Thompson
George - KD
Carmelo - Iguodala
Adams/Patrick Patterson/Jerami Grant - Draymond

For bigger teams like the Spurs,they may not do it, but it seems to me they could sit Roberson, rotate Patrick Patterson in to the 4, slide Melo to the 3, and George is fully capable of defending the 2. So, they have a lot of versatility with the pieces they have, and they won't be prone to some of the offensive droughts they had last season.
pencilfightchamp
Art Connoisseur

Postby mtarail on Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:23 pm

I agree with most of what you're saying, but IMO Melois a defensive liability. There was that stretch with the Nuggets where he was decent. But he's now a few years older and went back to some bad habits defensively in NY. The idea of Melo defending Draymond in a 7 game series is painful.

I completely agree with you that you could slot George at the 2 in a lot of matchup scenarios, which makes the move make a little more sense for OKC.
mtarail
Art Expert

Postby jkw3000 on Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:01 pm

Melo's playing the 4 there (he's admitted as much) and even without worrying about the Warriors, it's his best position in the current pace-and-space era. Hell his best season in NY (in terms of them having a winning season) came from him as a 4.
jkw3000
Art Freak

Postby Irishman12 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:16 pm

I personally think Melo could do very well in OKC if the ball isn't in his hands all the time. During the last Olympics, there were times he carried that team because the ball wasn't always in his hands. He was moving without the ball, spotting up on the 3 point line and knocking down shots. However, he's not the greatest defender. And on paper, OKC should be the second best team out West. But as we've seen time and time again, games aren't won on paper. They'll definitely need to get more depth on the bench because that's what's going to hurt them, when the starters need a breather. It'll definitely be interesting to see what they can do once the season begins. I wonder if this squad will make George think twice about going to the Lakers in the offseason?
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

Postby pencilfightchamp on Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:38 pm

Opening night match ups should be good.

Cleveland vs. Boston
Houston vs. Golden State

Who's watching and who have you got?
pencilfightchamp
Art Connoisseur

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:46 pm

Just found this thread. So pumped for tonight! Feels like Christmas!!

Go Pistons! (ugh... sick of this team... but... Avery Bradley)

and

Go Thunder!!

Cheers to the only sport that matters :pint:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:48 pm

jkw3000 wrote:Melo's playing the 4 there (he's admitted as much) and even without worrying about the Warriors, it's his best position in the current pace-and-space era. Hell his best season in NY (in terms of them having a winning season) came from him as a 4.

It'll be interested to see how he fits in with the squad. I'm not convinced by any means that Melo knows how to play the right way. Talented, but...

Still, he puts up numbers like it's nothing. I once saw him score a quiet 55 at the Toyota Center
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby jkw3000 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:11 pm

IT'S ALMOST TIME.

jkw3000
Art Freak

Next

Return to Sports