NBA 2017-18

An arena for athletics. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:50 am

Pistons looked great knocking off the C's last night. Total domination from Drummond. Might be the best game I've seen him play. He usually can't sustain that type of ferocity but he really seems to be maturing this year. Avery Bradley has folks buying in on defense and it's a beautiful thing. You watch the game, Joe? :P

Afro, I know you enjoyed watching the Thunder put it on the Warriors recently :pint:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby wonkabars7 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:07 am

Pistons played great. Hope the C’s learn from taking that L.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Postby jkw3000 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:19 am

RottenAtom wrote:Pistons looked great knocking off the C's last night. Total domination from Drummond. Might be the best game I've seen him play. He usually can't sustain that type of ferocity but he really seems to be maturing this year. Avery Bradley has folks buying in on defense and it's a beautiful thing. You watch the game, Joe? :P

Afro, I know you enjoyed watching the Thunder put it on the Warriors recently :pint:

:hanging:

Nah, good game for the most part, Pistons are a particularly bad matchup for the Celtics. When Drummond's locked in like that he's basically the best young throwback center left in the NBA these days - if you're not a floor stretcher, you're gonna kill everyone on the glass (like he did). Happy to see him back on the upswing.

Would be more psyched about the Thunder but oof, following that win with 2 losses...I know how peeps feel about Durant and his choices, but I really can't begrudge him leaving Westbrook - as balls-to-the-wall amazing as Russ is, I still dunno if he can tame himself enough to effectively work in one or two other superstars. We'll see, despite feeling like it's been a while we're only a quarter of the way through the season. Crazy.
jkw3000
Art Freak

35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:26 am

Definitely a great game and I agree with you about the Drummond/Celtics matchup. Marcus Smart was shooting lights out and kept you guys in it. Also, I'm sure Kyrie isn't his same self having to wear that mask. It was cool to see Avery Bradley get the reception he did. Hope to see more good battles from these teams in the near future.

And yeah, Thunder still have a lot of figuring out to do. But it was nice to see them down the dubs.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby jkw3000 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:31 am

Boston loves Bradley - shame to have to trade him due to the cap, but dude plays good D and gives it his all. Glad to see part of Detroit's improvement come from him. Will be entertaining to hopefully see Detroit/Cleveland fighting for the division the whole way through.
jkw3000
Art Freak

35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.

Postby Kramerica on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:45 am

People give Durant a lot of fudge but I feel like leaving Russ was a great decision as far as getting a ring goes.
Kramerica
Art Freak

When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:54 am

jkw3000 wrote:Boston loves Bradley - shame to have to trade him due to the cap, but dude plays good D and gives it his all. Glad to see part of Detroit's improvement come from him. Will be entertaining to hopefully see Detroit/Cleveland fighting for the division the whole way through.

I love his post-game interviews. He's smart and well-composed; a true professional/baller. Crazy that even with the Cavs less than impressive start, they're right there. I hope the Pistons can keep it up. Their upcoming schedule is kinda scary.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby pencilfightchamp on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:07 pm

Kramerica wrote:People give Durant a lot of fudge but I feel like leaving Russ was a great decision as far as getting a ring goes.

I think the major qualm most people had was it totally shifted the competitive balance in the league. A team that had a 73-9 record added a top 3 player. No doubt it was a great move from his standpoint and for Golden State. There were possibly 2-3 teams that could compete with them before Durant arrived (San Antonio, OKC, Cleveland). He eliminated one and made the strongest team in the league even stronger. The Golden State title last year was a formality. People hoped someone could be competitive, but in the end, the story was exactly what we all expected. If he had gone to Boston, and won a title there, which was completely possible, I don't think he gets the same backlash.

If the end goal was a ring, good on him he got what he wanted, but I don't think he can cry foul when people say he took a short cut to a title and it cheapens his legacy.
pencilfightchamp
Art Connoisseur

Postby wonkabars7 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:38 pm

Come playoff time, the Pistons won't get beyond the Celts, should they meet.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Postby afrosteeziac on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:26 pm

pencilfightchamp wrote:
Kramerica wrote:People give Durant a lot of fudge but I feel like leaving Russ was a great decision as far as getting a ring goes.

I think the major qualm most people had was it totally shifted the competitive balance in the league. A team that had a 73-9 record added a top 3 player. No doubt it was a great move from his standpoint and for Golden State. There were possibly 2-3 teams that could compete with them before Durant arrived (San Antonio, OKC, Cleveland). He eliminated one and made the strongest team in the league even stronger. The Golden State title last year was a formality. People hoped someone could be competitive, but in the end, the story was exactly what we all expected. If he had gone to Boston, and won a title there, which was completely possible, I don't think he gets the same backlash.

If the end goal was a ring, good on him he got what he wanted, but I don't think he can cry foul when people say he took a short cut to a title and it cheapens his legacy.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly, was just the manner, timing and the team he chose. I try not to play what ifs, but could you image how different the landscape would be had they closed out any of those final games against the dubs the season before he left? Even if they lose to the Cavs in the Finals I think he stays and completely changes how some rosters look today.

But back in reality, yeah, dropping those 2 games pretty much washes that excitement for the time being. Sure it's nice to see their potential, and their DEF can't be argued, but the scoring droughts are painful and always come at the worse times. Will be interesting to see how they look come Jan/Feb and whether or not we start to hear talks of getting what they can from PG and Melo in trades if things just aren't gelling
afrosteeziac
Art Expert

Postby HungryFace on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:43 pm

The Thunder are getting worse! And I'm not shocked at all!

Getting wrecked by a team on a 9-game losing streak. This is after getting wrecked by the Mavs...

They are a mess on offense - bottom 5 in half-court before today's "effort", and even the defence went to fudge against the Magic.

47 wins last year. That looks a long, long way away. I can't see them getting there.
HungryFace
Art Connoisseur

Postby afrosteeziac on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:55 pm

HungryFace wrote:
47 wins last year. That looks a long, long way away. I can't see them getting there.

Yeaaa, I was going to give it until mid January before starting panic mode but this is just not cutting it.
afrosteeziac
Art Expert

Postby mattkardish on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:49 pm

Gonna need Ben Simmons to learn how to shoot
mattkardish
Art Expert

Postby afrosteeziac on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:39 pm

mattkardish wrote:Gonna need Ben Simmons to learn how to shoot

Or tweak the rules. God that was painful.
afrosteeziac
Art Expert

Postby canuck on Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:20 pm

Gobert-less Jazz on a 4 game win streak? oh my.
canuck
Art Freak

Image Image Image Image

PreviousNext

Return to Sports