NBA 2017-18

An arena for athletics. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby RottenAtom on Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:41 pm

jkw3000 wrote:Feel bad for IT. Kinda player you always want to root for...even if he really tops out as a championship-caliber sixth man more than a starter. Even at his most engaged (which he usually isn't), he's just not capable of good defense given his stature...and that was before the injury. Think he'd be better off shutting it down for the rest of the year, rehabbing, and taking a one-year prove-it contract next season if he still wants to earn a max later.

I feel bad for him too. He had no business being back on the court yet - not in that capacity. Pushing hard to play like his old self was only going to get him injured. The business end of the NBA is a cold mother. I understand his frustration, but still, he isn't exactly carrying himself the right way. He needs to suck it up, train hard, get back to his old self and let his ballin do the talkin.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby Devours on Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:55 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
jkw3000 wrote:Feel bad for IT. Kinda player you always want to root for...even if he really tops out as a championship-caliber sixth man more than a starter. Even at his most engaged (which he usually isn't), he's just not capable of good defense given his stature...and that was before the injury. Think he'd be better off shutting it down for the rest of the year, rehabbing, and taking a one-year prove-it contract next season if he still wants to earn a max later.

I feel bad for him too. He had no business being back on the court yet - not in that capacity. Pushing hard to play like his old self was only going to get him injured. The business end of the NBA is a cold mother. I understand his frustration, but still, he isn't exactly carrying himself the right way. He needs to suck it up, train hard, get back to his old self and let his ballin do the talkin.

IT needs to rebrand himself as a sixth man, a consistent shooter. He is just too small, zero defensive ability and frankly his speed is not what it should be. NO team will win a ring with him as a starter, just not possible over a 7 game stretch. I am stunned that people think K. Thompson will be let go from the Warriors next year. Golden State have zero interest in breaking up a strong streak. Its their time now and rightly earned. Klay will not be forgotten come payday. Also giggling at rumors about Lebron moving to the Lakers. He is too old to consider a rebuild team and basically kindergarten. It will take a few seasons for the Laker kids to develop their skill and ability to close games and stop the whining. And Lebron has limited seasons in him due to his game play. He is no Kobe, a power player mostly and lord knows of the odds of a season ending injury at his age. Lebron needs another ring. He needs to go to a contender like Houston or Spurs with a fully recovered Leonard. Lakers no longer hold that kind of prestige and a possible PG just lacks consistency.

It's a fun time to think about all these crazy trades and what the future could hold. But right now its Warriors and Boston. No one comes close.
Devours
Art Connoisseur

Postby jkw3000 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:44 am

Houston's definitely a contender, the only real worry is still that Harden will be low in the tank deep in the playoffs, even with CP3. And I gotta believe the Raptors are actually more capable of making noise than I'd like, esp with DeRozan's 3 point shot now.

And agreed on all points about IT. I love the guy for the chip on his shoulder and for his rise from Mr. Irrelevant...but when guys like CP3 could shoot over you, you're just never gonna be the star of a championship team. Not unless you can compensate on defense in some other way, like steals or whatever. Either way, unfortunate...and not great when he's been part of the reason by spouting off on the team.

A lot happened at the deadline, but it's kinda mind boggling to think almost all the major movement was pretty much Cleveland. Least the back half's gonna be entertaining in the Land.
jkw3000
Art Freak

35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.

Postby afrosteeziac on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:32 am

Regardless of how poor they seem to play against teams they should be beating, I am going to jump to conclusions and say a completely healthy(sans Roberson) OKC will upset their way to at least the Conference Finals, and take who ever is there to a game 7. At that point it will be a toss up, but I call a OKC v BOS finals. :D At least that's my dream scenario.
afrosteeziac
Art Expert

Postby HungryFace on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:55 pm

Devours wrote: It's a fun time to think about all these crazy trades and what the future could hold. But right now its Warriors and Boston. No one comes close.

Wait, no one comes close to Boston?!

Without Hayward I still see the Celtics as pretenders. I just don't have much faith in an offense that currently ranks 20th in the league.

If the Rockets were in the East they'd win it in a canter.
HungryFace
Art Connoisseur

Postby HungryFace on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:06 pm

afrosteeziac wrote:Regardless of how poor they seem to play against teams they should be beating, I am going to jump to conclusions and say a completely healthy(sans Roberson) OKC will upset their way to at least the Conference Finals, and take who ever is there to a game 7. At that point it will be a toss up, but I call a OKC v BOS finals. :D At least that's my dream scenario.

I share the same dream.

But in reality we're drymounted. The wing rotation of Huestis-Ferguson-Abrines is the worst in the league.

Hopefully they can get one or two decent-ish players in the buyout market, but they'll probably lose out on the better ones to the Warriors, Rockets, Cavs, and Celtics...

EDIT: And as I typed, Brandan Wright - a perfect backup for Adams, has just joined the Rockets.
HungryFace
Art Connoisseur

Postby FlapJack on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:02 am

A lot of sniping at ‘The Land’, but they’re much better off after the trades, although I’ll miss Wade and Frye. The team was completely unwatchable and uncoachable ... zero effort, moping around, and jacking up shots for stats. IT is in better place, where he can now jack to his hearts content.

Even last night you could see a big difference, despite having only half a team and only against ATL, much more energy and ball movement.

Cavs got younger, longer, more athletic, and better shooting. Even though they still will be missing the secondary alpha and minimal time to gel as a team, I’m still excited to see what this team can become. At least they’ll compete ...
FlapJack
Art Expert

Postby FlapJack on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:14 am

Also, can we make those Miami Vice uni’s a permanent thing?

SacTown euoroleague look ... not so much.
FlapJack
Art Expert

Postby mtarail on Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:59 pm

FlapJack wrote:’m still excited to see what this team can become. At least they’ll compete ...

Assuming Hill gets healthy, we know what to expect from him. What I'm really looking forward to is seeing whether Hood and Nance, who have always had to battle for minutes in their rotations, will do if they're given 30+ a night consistently.

I also gotta give Cleveland credit on Nance--bringing the son of one of Cleveland's greatest players into the org.
mtarail
Art Expert

Postby afrosteeziac on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:44 pm

FlapJack wrote:Also, can we make those Miami Vice uni’s a permanent thing?

Best uni this year. I sure retailers were happy about the wade news, because I'm sure a Wade Vice jersey sells quite nice.

And somewhat speaking of jerseys, talk about a great photo op to have Nance in a throwback Cavs jersey during the slam dunk contest without having to worry about being on a different team. Great timing.
afrosteeziac
Art Expert

Postby HungryFace on Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:36 pm

Are Cleveland close to Boston now?

Cavs just clowning on the Celtics...
HungryFace
Art Connoisseur

Postby canuck on Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:33 pm

HungryFace wrote:
canuck wrote:Bye Hood. :cry:

This you?

https://twitter.com/dmacalaca/status/961782268669804545

Lol I saw that video.

Idk I guess the trade aint terrible. Free up some salary money.
canuck
Art Freak

Image Image Image Image

Postby HungryFace on Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:35 am

canuck wrote:
HungryFace wrote:
canuck wrote:Bye Hood. :cry:

This you?

https://twitter.com/dmacalaca/status/961782268669804545

Lol I saw that video.

Idk I guess the trade aint terrible. Free up some salary money.

Hood wanted out. You got a good return on him - I think Crowder will thrive under Snyder. He made a nice debut today, as your Jazz continued their curb-stomping ways.

9 wins in a row. Jingles for MVP!

The Northwest division could well have all 5 teams in the playoffs this season...
HungryFace
Art Connoisseur

Postby canuck on Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:08 am

Hell yeah! We have beaten up some good teams too on our streak. Warriors, spurs, raptors, blazers. Woot woot.

Nice to see Jingles tear it up. He has a great 3 point shot just been too inconsistent in the past.

No way Mitchell don't win rookie of the year.
canuck
Art Freak

Image Image Image Image

Postby PrintNoob87 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:03 am

HungryFace wrote:Are Cleveland close to Boston now?

Cavs just clowning on the Celtics...

Should ask if Boston is close to the Cavs after that annihilation. Sheesh. Two blowout losses to the other top two teams in the east this week.
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Sports