Site Update - Capital Fundraising

Official Expresso Beans Art News.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:14 pm

cotis wrote:server issues again? submit art and I get the 500 Internal Server Error message...
I'm getting the same error message when trying to submit art. Frustrating.
jjttdw wrote:This site has struggled the last couple days....about half the images seem to not load. Come on Beta. Maybe we need a gamma or delta at this point.
I've also been having troubles with images not loading as well.
Woo5lscott
Art Expert

Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:27 pm

I didn’t have a homepage at all yesterday, but the forum worked fine
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:30 pm

Am I missing something, or is it impossible for regular members of this forum to add the first comment to a thread?

Whenever I click on Add Comment for a thread that has no comment yet, I get a screen that says the topic does not exist.

I can post replies, but I cant post the first comment.

This has been this way for me for a long time now.
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
IWish
Art Expert

Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:43 pm

pm to team members, so they can actually create a thread. I'm, pretty sure, that art comment threads are only created upon request. It's another glitch on the forum...it's not just you.
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:59 pm

IWish wrote:pm to team members, so they can actually create a thread. I'm, pretty sure, that art comment threads are only created upon request. It's another glitch on the forum...it's not just you.
Thanks, Sue. I was able to post the first comment on a thread for years... but not for a year or more now
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
IWish
Art Expert

Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:10 pm

Rick_a_c wrote:but not for a year or more now
Yep. Same for everyone else. In the past, art comment threads were automatically created...these days they're created upon request before the comment link/button will work.
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:53 pm

IWish wrote:
Yep. Same for everyone else. In the past, art comment threads were automatically created...these days they're created upon request before the comment link/button will work.
It would be nice if the mods took 30 extra seconds when they create a new thread to seed the thread with a one word post like "open" or something, so people wouldn't have to send a message to request it. I know I'm whining here, but as much as I'd like to post comments on the threads that interest me, it's an impulsive thing... not something I am inclined to spend time on requesting so I might be able to post a comment at some future date or time.
treweman
Art Expert

Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:45 am

Rick_a_c wrote:
IWish wrote:
It would be nice if the mods took 30 extra seconds when they create a new thread to seed the thread with a one word post like "open" or something, so people wouldn't have to send a message to request it. I know I'm whining here, but as much as I'd like to post comments on the threads that interest me, it's an impulsive thing... not something I am inclined to spend time on requesting so I might be able to post a comment at some future date or time.
Agreed. I’m spending very little time on EB these days. More than half the photos won’t load, I can’t comment on new submissions or sale threads, and this morning my password that I’ve used for 8 years failed. It doesn’t feel much like an art community anymore.
biscocrack420
Art Expert

Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:49 am

probably should make another donation
Scottjohnston
Art Expert

Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:15 am

Starting to get annoying :hanging:

How long now mods?
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:12 am

I'll see if I can get Yamar to provide another update. I haven't seen anything more since my last post in this thread. The current site issues, though, are temporary. The old server just periodically needs refreshing, or this sort of behavior starts to happen. I reported it last Monday, and Yamar filed a ticket. Just waiting on them to do the refresh, and the image and submission issue will be resolved.

With regard to proactively creating comment threads for every new entry into the database, that's not actually feasible for a number of logistical reasons. But I would like to consider ways to make it easier for people wanting those threads created, to request them. Ever since the big site outage that killed the automatic process that created those on demand, we never really did come up with a good mechanism for streamlining those requests. It was just "hey ask a mod". But do you think it would help if I created a dedicated request thread similar to the Entry Correction thread, and asked a mod who's able to create those (I'm not even able to create them myself), to monitor it? That would allow you to just post a link to whatever entry you want a thread for, and they'd create it for you. Would that help?
So it goes...
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:49 am

Maybe a little bit as Rick said, it’s usually an impulsive thing and something you are moved to do at the moment because some art has caught your eye. A dedicated thread would remove that impulse and there would still be a delay. For me, this is probably the one thing that annoys me most. See art > comment on art used to be one of my favorite to do here.

And yes, most images are unviewable right now. Sucks.

Also sickens me to hear when members like treweman are spending less time here. Jesus, we kicked down so much money since this drive began and I haven’t seen a single solitary move forward since then. :hanging:
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
finneganm
Art Freak

Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:56 am

earlgreytoast wrote:“We’re still working on it. There’s a lot of research involved and other than mfaith we all have full time jobs and families and are just volunteers. We will certainly post something here when there is something to post.”

Happy?
That's what she said
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:02 pm

finneganm wrote:
earlgreytoast wrote:“other than mfaith
Um, I also have a full time job, and am just a volunteer... :lol:
So it goes...
finneganm
Art Freak

Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:07 pm