NFL 2018

An arena for athletics. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby RambosRemodeler on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:46 pm

AT LEAST BRIAN HOYER IS HAPPY
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby dodgers77 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:59 pm

It’s official, Chucky’s back as Raiders head coach, 10 years $100 million !?!? :notworthy:
Last edited by dodgers77 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dodgers77
Art Expert

Postby PrintNoob87 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:00 pm

pewter14 wrote:
PrintNoob87 wrote:
PrintNoob87 wrote:A second rounder feels light for Garoppolo, even with him primed to get paid after this year without having played.

Aaaand now you know why.

We do? Curious, what's the reason?

luls
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Postby pewter14 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:16 pm

PrintNoob87 wrote:luls

So no answer. Which is the right answer. Because no one knows what happened.

This is what I responded to you when you initially posted "seems like what they got back for Jimmy G is light" ...

pewter14 wrote:If they were indeed offered something in the 12-15 pick range in April, then yeah ... this is light. But, who knows what the real story was.

But the options now are are deal him before tomorrow, franchise him after the season for $20M+ and then trade him (this also means definitely losing Malcolm Butler) or let Jimmy G walk and get a late 3rd round pick.

I'll add that if they let Jimmy G walk, they would have no say in where he lands ... would have sucked if he stayed in conference or worse, in division. Sending him to SF was safe.

The other option not mentioned is that they could have tagged Jimmy and tried to trade Brady. But if you're going to trade a 41 year old QB, it's only going to be to a win-now contender who I'm sure the pats don't want to compete against with Brady. And having two $20M QBs on your roster is not really dealing from a place of strength ... can't imagine they'd do a ton better in that situation as Jimmy G still wouldn't have played a down this year.

I'm not sure what in the world the Pats could do here or how they could have got a lot more out of this.

My honest guess ... Belichick wanted to hold onto JG and reevaluate after the season, Kraft may have stepped in and said, no, we're not trading Brady. And the best decision was to deal JG in October. So, the Pats are stuck with a potential league MVP ... oh, damn.

But seriously, no one, not me, or you, or the Pats beat writers, or these guys that have been writing the "Death of the Dynasty" articles for over a decade know what's going on in Belichick's head.
pewter14
EB Team

mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.

Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines

Postby cotis on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:20 pm

$100 million for a guy who hasn't coached since 2009?

damn, that's 9 years of sounding smart on TV for a fudge ton of money. congrats JG.
cotis
Art Expert

Postby pewter14 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:23 pm

I'm just glad Gruden will be off MNF.
pewter14
EB Team

mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.

Postby hunterjax on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:26 pm

pewter14 wrote:I'm just glad Gruden will be off MNF.

hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby Codeblue on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:28 pm

That is a terrible swing.
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby jkw3000 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:39 pm

What a weird roundabout way to become the next TB Buccaneers coach.
jkw3000
Art Freak

35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.

Postby PrintNoob87 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:41 pm

pewter14 wrote:
PrintNoob87 wrote:luls

So no answer. Which is the right answer. Because no one knows what happened.

This is what I responded to you when you initially posted "seems like what they got back for Jimmy G is light" ...

pewter14 wrote:If they were indeed offered something in the 12-15 pick range in April, then yeah ... this is light. But, who knows what the real story was.

But the options now are are deal him before tomorrow, franchise him after the season for $20M+ and then trade him (this also means definitely losing Malcolm Butler) or let Jimmy G walk and get a late 3rd round pick.

I'll add that if they let Jimmy G walk, they would have no say in where he lands ... would have sucked if he stayed in conference or worse, in division. Sending him to SF was safe.

The other option not mentioned is that they could have tagged Jimmy and tried to trade Brady. But if you're going to trade a 41 year old QB, it's only going to be to a win-now contender who I'm sure the pats don't want to compete against with Brady. And having two $20M QBs on your roster is not really dealing from a place of strength ... can't imagine they'd do a ton better in that situation as Jimmy G still wouldn't have played a down this year.

I'm not sure what in the world the Pats could do here or how they could have got a lot more out of this.

My honest guess ... Belichick wanted to hold onto JG and reevaluate after the season, Kraft may have stepped in and said, no, we're not trading Brady. And the best decision was to deal JG in October. So, the Pats are stuck with a potential league MVP ... oh, damn.

But seriously, no one, not me, or you, or the Pats beat writers, or these guys that have been writing the "Death of the Dynasty" articles for over a decade know what's going on in Belichick's head.

I don't know what's going on in Belichick's head, but if forced to wager I'd have to say option #1 was not hold onto him until mid-season then trade him a week before the deadline for a second round pick.

Favre got traded the year after the Packers went to an NFC Championship game. I absolutely believe Belichick would be prepared to go the same route. Deal with the short-term butthurt and scorn of fans for the long-term well being of the franchise. Isn't this team the shining beacon of "do your job" and "nobody is bigger than the team"? But don't have to worry about sorting any of that now I guess. Favre and Manning had MVP level seasons the year before their bodies broke in half and they became husks of their former selves. It happens overnight. Tahmmy ain't gonna be any different when he goes here soon, no matter how much or what kind of water he drinks.

In my wildest fantasies Belichick drymounts off outta town and the Packers 86 McCarthy. I'd love to see 2-3 Super Bowls in these last Rodgers years. Is any of his contract info known at all?
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Postby jkw3000 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:47 pm

The Favre/Rodgers situation pretty much popped into my head as well, though much harder circumstances against letting the old guy go - not mulling retirement like Favre was, won a Super Bowl the previous year, performing well enough to warrant MVP consideration, has a historic 5 SBs under the belt. The weird other-side-of-the-coin when it comes to "loyalty". I don't think there's an ideal answer to the situation - getting rid of Brady and banking on a small sample size from Garoppolo just as his contract's gonna go up is just as weird and messy.

At any rate, all dynasties go at some point in sports. Whether this is the end for the Pats just yet remains to be seen, but not like it can last forever or that any NE fan is gonna lament the run. Hell Seattle's run with their defense looks like it's over after 5 years of playoffs and 1 SB win, and Pittsburgh is looking at Roethlisberger possibly calling it a career real soon. Craziness.
jkw3000
Art Freak

Postby pewter14 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:52 pm

PrintNoob87 wrote:In my wildest fantasies Belichick drymounts off outta town and the Packers 86 McCarthy. I'd love to see 2-3 Super Bowls in these last Rodgers years. Is any of his contract info known at all?

I could be wrong, but I just can't see Belichick being that upset he's "stuck" with Brady.

Could it mean he was willing to be with the Pats for another 7 years with JG, and now, he leaves when Brady leaves ... potentially.

Listen, we've been reading these "the end is nigh" stories about the Pats for over a decade. Taking a bunch of every day football occurrences and saying those are the reasons it's going to end now is just speculative opinion writing.

You have a 41 year old QB, a 67 year old coach and a owner who's closer to 80 than 70. Saying this Pats run is almost over isn't really going out on a limb. It's going to end.

Again, these stories have been going on for a decade, everyone wants to predict when it will end so they can say "I told you so" and you know what, eventually someone is going to be right.
pewter14
EB Team

Postby PrintNoob87 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:00 pm

I think the whole crux of that article (at least my takeaway) is that it didn't necessarily HAVE to be the end, though. Belichick feels he had his next guy and now he slipped right through his fingers for reasons that were largely out of his control. Only time will tell with Jimmy G but damn, he looks at least good enough to do what's needed on a team run by Bill Belicheck. He got 11 goddamned wins out of Matt goddamned Cassel. #neverforget
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Postby jkw3000 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:07 pm

Speaking of Matt Cassel, that Bills-Jags matchup between Taylor and Bortles - has to be the ugliest game of the weekend, right?
jkw3000
Art Freak

Postby pewter14 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:17 pm

PrintNoob87 wrote:I think the whole crux of that article (at least my takeaway) is that it didn't necessarily HAVE to be the end, though. Belichick feels he had his next guy and now he slipped right through his fingers for reasons that were largely out of his control. Only time will tell with Jimmy G but damn, he looks at least good enough to do what's needed on a team run by Bill Belicheck. He got 11 goddamned wins out of Matt goddamned Cassel. #neverforget

If that's your argument, there are plenty more Matt Cassels out there.

So, even if you're on the tag JG and trade Brady boat ... how does that play out?

What are you really going to get for Brady at age 41? It *has* to be a team who thinks they can win right now, potentially with a great defense. Maybe the Jags? Or the Broncos? Or to the NFC to whom ... hell, I can't think of a decent landing spot for Brady in the NFC. Maybe SF for the hometown play.

You're not getting a #1 pick for a 41 year old QB, just ain't gonna happen. But whatever, you make it happen trade Brady and stick with JG (which by the way, as a Pats fan, I was in no way dead set against this)

Now as jkw points out, you got to commit nearly $20M a year to Garoppolo for his 2.5 regular season games. What if he's Matt Schaub or Scott Mitchell? All the talk about how he won this year, he still put up 6 TDs and 5 INTs in 5 starts.

I hope he's a hall of fame QB and leads the 49ers to multiple championships .. it'll be fun to watch. But there is zero guarantee here.
pewter14
EB Team

PreviousNext

Return to Sports