Boxing fans?

An arena for athletics. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby jlabbate on Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:02 am

mr_rugby wrote:
jeffzilla wrote:I don't know why GGG doesn't have the following he should have - great fighter and character.

Sadly that's the reason right there. He's as vanilla as they come with no charisma. The old saying goes no one cared about Mayweather when he was "pretty boy" as soon as he became money Mayweather that's when the money and popularly (both good & bad) took off. That's what sells in today's society

GGG has a pretty big following..just sold out the LA Forum last weekend, and MSG the fight before that. yeah..his personality may be vanilla, but dude hits like Ivan Drago, and fans seem to be eating it up
jlabbate
Art Freak

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby AliRock110 on Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:40 am

Just watched that HBO card from last week. Chocolito throws more combos than a Killer Instinct pro and it's fun to watch. I don't know about GGG's personality but I love the "Big Drama Show" slogan and I think you could market around that no problem. His biggest problem is no $$$ middleweight is gonna fight him. I could see why Canelo and Cotto don't want no part of him, he's just too big for them and we know Haymon is going to advise Quillin and Jacobs to stay far away. No one at 168 is going to give him problems even if they did fight him and I don't know if that power is going to make the jump to 175, I do know that standing there and letting Ward or Kovalev hit him will get him knocked out but him fighting either of those 2 men would sell some PPVs. Kid is got a bright future, I just want him to move up to 175 and get paid.

Don't know if Bud is gonna sell PPVs at 140 but it's time for him to go to the deep end of the pool and see if he could draw. He's fighting the best guy in his division and we will see if the top rank marketing machine could get some eyes on him. I'll watch the replay on HBO.
AliRock110
Art Expert

Postby TheBeard on Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:07 pm

That PBC card was unbelievable!

Victor Ortiz looks done. I hope he retires. He took a serious beating that fight.

Unbelievable card.
TheBeard
Art Expert

Woodrocket podcast - http://itun.es/us/8lNFJ.c

Postby mr_rugby on Sun May 01, 2016 12:33 am

jlabbate wrote:
mr_rugby wrote:
jeffzilla wrote:I don't know why GGG doesn't have the following he should have - great fighter and character.

Sadly that's the reason right there. He's as vanilla as they come with no charisma. The old saying goes no one cared about Mayweather when he was "pretty boy" as soon as he became money Mayweather that's when the money and popularly (both good & bad) took off. That's what sells in today's society

GGG has a pretty big following..just sold out the LA Forum last weekend, and MSG the fight before that. yeah..his personality may be vanilla, but dude hits like Ivan Drago, and fans seem to be eating it up

Just over' 150,000 pay-per-view buys for Golovkin-Lemieux bout, I don't even think a fighter can earn points off of a buy rate this low. If he does, it's a really low cut
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Postby TheBeard on Thu May 05, 2016 1:41 am

I'm desperately hoping tickets for the Canelo/Khan drop on day of the fight, but then I remembered the Kentucky Derby is that same day so the city is gonna be mobbed with sports fans. Bummer.
TheBeard
Art Expert

Postby AliRock110 on Thu May 05, 2016 9:39 am

I really hope Amir has enough pop in his gloves to keep Canelo honest. If he does not Saul is gonna walk him down and keep cracking him with that straight right and cruise to an easy decision or a late knockout of that chin don't hold up.
AliRock110
Art Expert

Postby john38103 on Thu May 05, 2016 10:19 am

It'll be interesting to see what weight Khan comes in at. He's never fought above welterweight so the 155 catch weight is a pretty huge variable to throw into the mix against an already difficult opponent. Every once in a while adding a little weight will steady a fighter who previously had a suspect chin but it certainly isn't the norm. It's more likely that his shaky chin is gonna be a problem catching shots from a bigger fighter. He's still got fast hands though so it should be fun.
john38103
Art Expert

Postby JGC7881 on Fri May 06, 2016 10:03 pm

john38103 wrote:It'll be interesting to see what weight Khan comes in at. He's never fought above welterweight so the 155 catch weight is a pretty huge variable to throw into the mix against an already difficult opponent. Every once in a while adding a little weight will steady a fighter who previously had a suspect chin but it certainly isn't the norm. It's more likely that his shaky chin is gonna be a problem catching shots from a bigger fighter. He's still got fast hands though so it should be fun.

Khan looked filled out at the weigh-in, so I don't think he's going to add too much more weight. My guess is he'll come in around 160lbs, give or take a pound. Conversely, Canelo looked dried out. So by tomorrow he'll probably be packing an extra 15-20lbs on his frame, IMO. So I think he'll have 10+lbs on Khan by tomorrow.
JGC7881
Art Connoisseur

Postby jlabbate on Sat May 07, 2016 11:42 pm

that was a nasty right by Canelo to KO Kahn :shock:
jlabbate
Art Freak

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby TheBeard on Sat May 07, 2016 11:59 pm

As nice as the KO was, it's always a little deflating knowing that Khan would probably get knocked out by a 5 year old paraplegic with no arms.
TheBeard
Art Expert

Postby AliRock110 on Sun May 08, 2016 2:02 am

Canelo looked great tonight. Khan was giving fits with his quick hands but there just wasn't enough pop to keep Canelo at bay. And dat right doe. Kids knows his craft. He called out GGG but Oscar ain't gonna let his cash cow fall on his sword just yet. I see him and Heymon making a Deal for Saul to face Jacobs in the late Fall or Winter and then GGG for next May. Khan should still get $$ fights st 147 but that chin is and will always out there to get hit. I hope he's ok. Good fight.
AliRock110
Art Expert

Postby mr_rugby on Sun May 08, 2016 2:35 am

GGG needs Canelo more then Canelo needs GGG.
That fight won't get booked, it's boxing. That fight is 3-5 years away
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Postby JGC7881 on Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:59 am

R.I.P. Muhammad Ali

The greatest heavyweight to ever lace them up. Dude had the fastest hands I've ever seen for a big man and an iron chin. He reminded me of a bigger, better version of Roy Jones, only with a harder head lol.
JGC7881
Art Connoisseur

Postby JGC7881 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:52 pm

Great win by Andre Ward! I can understand someone giving the W to Kovalev, he did put Ward on his ass in the 2nd and landed the harder shots throughout the fight. But Ward's body attack slowed Kovalev down the second half of the fight, and Ward's inside fighting allowed him to dictate the pace and smother Kovalev's punches.
JGC7881
Art Connoisseur

Postby 63schoeffling on Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:17 pm

I heard it was a very very close call. I need to watch it and see.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImageImage

PreviousNext

Return to Sports