Boxing fans?

An arena for athletics. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby JGC7881 on Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:00 am

Just wondering if anyone here is a big fan of the sweet science? I'm a huge boxing fan, but I do recognize that the sport has lost quite a bit of shine over the years due to bad judging, some crummy fights, matches that never get made, etc.

Personally though, I'm optimistic about the future. There's a nice new crop of fighters coming up that could take over the sport, such as Terence Crawford, Vasyl Lomachenko, Errol Spence Jr..... not to mention established vets like Golovkin, Kovalev, Ward, Canelo, Brook, and quite a few others. Maybe there won't be another superstar like Floyd or Manny anytime soon, but boxing is still in a good place, IMO.
JGC7881
Art Connoisseur

Postby TheBeard on Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:02 am

I'm a big boxing fan and looking forward to the Algieri/Spence fight tomorrow and watching GGG and Chocalito fight next week.
TheBeard
Art Expert

Woodrocket podcast - http://itun.es/us/8lNFJ.c

Postby AliRock110 on Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:43 am

Been watching the sweet science for over 30 years. Not as hardcore as I used to be but I still support guys who get it in like Bud Crawford and GGG. GGG vs Ward would be a fight party worthy event and if Bud's power comes up with him to 147 he's gonna make some real cash. I'm hopeful for the future, I just wish promotors wouldn't be so hung up on W/Ls and in house match ups. I didn't stop following the Hitman when he lost to Sugar Ray and I'm still going to support Guys like Thurman and Bud if they fight each other no matter who wins. Let's get ready to rumble! It's showtime!
AliRock110
Art Expert

Postby JGC7881 on Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:17 pm

TheBeard wrote:I'm a big boxing fan and looking forward to the Algieri/Spence fight tomorrow and watching GGG and Chocalito fight next week.

Yeah man, Spence is legit, I was surprised he stopped Algieri. Dude has survived Provodnikov, so him getting stopped by Spence was a surprise.
JGC7881
Art Connoisseur

Postby JGC7881 on Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:20 pm

AliRock110 wrote:Been watching the sweet science for over 30 years. Not as hardcore as I used to be but I still support guys who get it in like Bud Crawford and GGG. GGG vs Ward would be a fight party worthy event and if Bud's power comes up with him to 147 he's gonna make some real cash. I'm hopeful for the future, I just wish promotors wouldn't be so hung up on W/Ls and in house match ups. I didn't stop following the Hitman when he lost to Sugar Ray and I'm still going to support Guys like Thurman and Bud if they fight each other no matter who wins. Let's get ready to rumble! It's showtime!

Crawford's an exciting fighter. He has a good chin and is excellent at adapting after 3-4 rounds. Golovkin is a monster, although I'm a Ward fanboy so I'm a bit of a GGG hater lol. But hater or not, I can still acknowledge that Golovkin's ability to cutoff the ring coupled with his ridiculous power makes him a scary man.
JGC7881
Art Connoisseur

Postby jlabbate on Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:45 am

Far from hardcore boxing fan, but I always watch it when it's on HBO, Showtime, or NBC
And will occasionally go out to a sports bar for the ppv's
The sport is definitely on the upswing after being stagnant for about a decade or so
jlabbate
Art Freak

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby matowest on Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:56 am

TheBeard wrote:GGG and Chocalito fight next week.

This right here :pint:
matowest
Art Expert

Postby jeffzilla on Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:06 am

I don't know why GGG doesn't have the following he should have - great fighter and character. Once they can make a fight with a big name guy who can test him, that will get GGG over for the casual fans.

If I was Canelo, I don't fight GGG unless I'm getting 8 figures win or lose.
jeffzilla
Art Enthusiast

Postby JGC7881 on Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:53 pm

jeffzilla wrote:I don't know why GGG doesn't have the following he should have - great fighter and character. Once they can make a fight with a big name guy who can test him, that will get GGG over for the casual fans.

If I was Canelo, I don't fight GGG unless I'm getting 8 figures win or lose.

I think it's because his English is pretty shaky and there's not a huge Kazakhstani population here in the States to give him that extra boost. Dude kinda sounds like Borat lol
JGC7881
Art Connoisseur

Postby TheBeard on Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:36 pm

Yeah. He's not flashy like FM or Broner and he isn't great for the community like Widler and Crawford. Guys like him and Kovalev just get fudge done.

Also, Gary Russell looked solid on Saturday. I'd love to see a rematch with Lomo.
TheBeard
Art Expert

Postby JGC7881 on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:41 pm

Golovkin vs Wade tonight on HBO. Should be an easy fight for GGG, I see him ending it in 3-4 rounds. I've never seen Wade fight and I have no clue how he moves or what kind of power he has. Golovkin should just hurry up and move up to 168lbs already. At 34 years old, he's not getting any younger.
JGC7881
Art Connoisseur

Postby TheBeard on Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:54 am

GGG handled business pretty easily, no surprise. I am surprised the Gonzalez fight went to the scorecards.
TheBeard
Art Expert

Postby matowest on Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:16 am

TheBeard wrote:I am surprised the Gonzalez fight went to the scorecards.

Same here. His opponent looked like he could drop at any point
matowest
Art Expert

Postby mr_rugby on Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:51 pm

jeffzilla wrote:I don't know why GGG doesn't have the following he should have - great fighter and character.

Sadly that's the reason right there. He's as vanilla as they come with no charisma. The old saying goes no one cared about Mayweather when he was "pretty boy" as soon as he became money Mayweather that's when the money and popularly (both good & bad) took off. That's what sells in today's society
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Postby JGC7881 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:00 pm

Terence Crawford vs Viktor Postol is set for July 23 on HBO PPV. Personally, this is going to be a fantastic matchup, but I just can't bring myself to pay $50 for it. But both guys are the cream of the crop at 140lbs, and both are 28-0, so this fight has a lot of potential.
JGC7881
Art Connoisseur

Next

Return to Sports