NBA 2015-2016

An arena for athletics. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby spagucci1 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:55 pm

mrkyuss wrote:So Paul wasn't allowed to go to LA but they let a top 3 player go to the most successful team ever?

Most succesful team ever? Ha ha! They are not even close to being in the top 5 of best teams ever.
spagucci1
Art Expert

Postby spagucci1 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:57 pm

turnJBup wrote:That would be awesome.
Seems if they stay healthy there is no possible way they can lose...
Cleveland won't be nearly as hungry.

They will lose in the second rd of the Playoffs next year. You heard it here first!
spagucci1
Art Expert

Postby turnJBup on Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:01 pm

You are delusional. Who will beat them?
If they stay healthy they won't lose 6 games all year.
turnJBup
Art Expert

Postby jkw3000 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:58 pm

Aaaaand Wade to the Bulls.

Not a fan of them committing to Rondo and Wade, but it was mentioned on Twitter that they'll want to look competitive and make themselves attractive to free agents come the big FA bonanza next year. Considering guys like Durant and Horford preferred signing with well-established, competitive teams, it makes sense. The opposite may end up being the case with Miami if Bosh is still a big question mark and Dragic/Whiteside aren't enough - let Wade go for financial flexibility, but if the current team doesn't work I dunno if they'll be attractive compared to the other guys...
jkw3000
Art Freak

35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.

Postby elroy404 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:48 pm

"What if Whiteside pulls a DeAndre & leaves Heat to sign in Dallas, then Mavs can't trade for Bogut, meaning Wade ruined KD to the Warriors." - @Bballforeverfb
Is this even possible? :shock:
elroy404
Art Connoisseur

Postby jkw3000 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:57 pm

elroy404 wrote:"What if Whiteside pulls a DeAndre & leaves Heat to sign in Dallas, then Mavs can't trade for Bogut, meaning Wade ruined KD to the Warriors." - @Bballforeverfb
Is this even possible? :shock:

"Even if Hassan Whiteside decided to pull a DeAndre Jordan, the Mavericks would not be an option, according to a source. The Mavs made Whiteside a max offer in the opening hours of free agency but have moved on. Dallas would have to back out of several commitments to create cap space for Whiteside, including the trade to acquire center Andrew Bogut from the Warriors. Two of the Mavs’ main free-agent commitments – Harrison Barnes and Deron Williams – are represented by Excel Sports Management, the same agency as Whiteside."

Basically if they tried to do that to Whiteside then they run the risk of screwing over Barnes and Williams since they have zero control over what the Mavs may do to free up that money.
jkw3000
Art Freak

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:30 pm

Rockets add some Pelicans and an old ass Nene who missed a bunch of games last year. :(
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby sidewaysscott on Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:32 pm

So glad D Wade said no to the nuggets. That would have been a disaster.
sidewaysscott
Art God

pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.

Postby glenn1 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:13 pm

HoopsHype [email protected] 2m2 minutes ago
Wade, Rondo and Butler shot a combined 133 of 419 from three (31.7 percent) last season.

For context, Klay Thompson alone made 276.

:vomit:
glenn1
Art Expert

Postby pencilfightchamp on Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:41 pm

afrosteeziac wrote:
pencilfightchamp wrote:
afrosteeziac wrote:Booooo indeed. Coulda gave Russ and Co one more year. I watch em, but I hope OKC waxes them every chance they get. Now what do they do with all that extra dough?

Unfortunately, given the timing of the decision, a lot of the big name free agents are off the board. The only small forwards they have on the roster are Kyle Singler and maybe Josh Huestis, so OKC is in a really tough spot. Do you overpay and extend Waiters? And given that they gave up Durant and got nothing in return, they are saying Presti is looking to sit down with Russ and get a feel for whether they will have a real shot at re-signing him next year. If Presti doesn't get a good feeling or Russ straight out tells him I'm not likely signing, then expect Westbrook to get traded and OKC go into full rebuild mode.

And that rebuild mode is looking more likely each day we don't hear anything on the Russ situation. Crazy how you go from 3-1 on the defending champs and winningest team in history to muthadrymounting rebuild mode in the span a month. Russ to the clips though... :shock: talk about highlight show.

I'm at the point where I say screw it, let's ride it out with Russ and let the chips fall where they may. At least we'd have one more year to enjoy the show. A local reporter made a good point, he may not have much trade value since he's unrestricted next year. So, unless you're trading him to a team he signs off on, most teams won't give up the farm just to have him for one season.

I'd like to get one more 3pt shooter in free agency to space the floor, but other than that let's see what kind of damage Russ and Oladipo can do. And I suspect we'll see a spike in production from Adams and Kanter with more of a commitment to getting them offensive touches and abusing teams down low.
pencilfightchamp
Art Connoisseur

Postby RottenAtom on Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:08 pm

jkw3000 wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:
jkw3000 wrote:Not a likable move, but I can't say it's not a smart one.

Maybe from a hardware perspective, but his legacy and rep will take a hit. Now any championships he wins will be expected and anything less is a disappointment. The ring(s) won't mean as much or be as special either after joining such an elite team. It's especially a punk move after OKC had them up 3-1 and let it slip away. Did Jordan bitch up and join the Bad Boys? No, no he didn't. Durant deserves everything everybody's gonna say about him.

Hardware's all that matters. Legacy is always malleable and determined by the winners over time. Hell look at LeBron's 2 with Miami - I'd love to detract from those but not like any LBJ/Miami fan cares. Again, I don't like the move on a personal NBA fan level (hell my team was one of the losers in the sweepstakes) but I'd be hard-pressed to say that wasn't the smartest move among his FA options - he's joining a proven team that won 1 and lost another in 7 games.

"Hardware's all that matters" is an opinion that I don't agree with. For players of Durant's caliber -- players that want to rank amongst the best of all-time (or so I thought)-- it isn't just about what you win, but how you win it. His choice to join an already elite team, one with a back-to-back MVP, a team with the best regular season record of all-time, one he choked against in a competitive series, completely takes him out of the conversation as one of the all-time greats as far as I'm concerned. Some may look at it as a 'smart move', but for a lot of fans (including me) it's the one that loses all respect. Reggie Miller explained it better than me.

Man, I used to love KD. That's because his personality and nature weren't really known back then. He had this image as Mr. Hoops. Seemed like all he cared about was the game. Then he started opening up to the media and showing his true (immature) nature. He's a "poor me" who gets upset when people don't ride his jock. His game is nice, but he's kind of a bitch. A few years ago, my brother and I made lists of our top 5 players from every position. Durant almost made my final SF spot, but now I wouldn't even consider him. So glad I never bought that authentic jersey I was considering. He could win 5 straight with Golden State and still be a disappointment in my mind. He went from being a super-talented player with a chance to carve out a legacy as one of the all-time greats, to just another good player chasing rings. Get that hardware the easy way, KD. It's going to take more than some chips in Golden State to re-rewrite the legacy you just re-wrote.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby afrosteeziac on Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:39 pm

Pretty much agree with you Rotten. True followers of the game will always have that mental asterisk next to how ever many rings he may win on that team. And no, I don't think it's the same as Bron's move to Miami.
afrosteeziac
Art Expert

Postby jkw3000 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:50 pm

Agree to disagree. I get your point but I've found the history of sports tends to have the annoying effect of rewriting its narratives around the winners regardless. It's never apparent at the time but that's just how it works - LeBron's already proven that, from hometown hero to the guy who left to villain cheating with his friends to returning savior to the new mayor of Cleveland. Win the hardware, collect the stats and accomplishments, make it to the Hall of Fame as a winner, and the narrative adjusts itself because frankly people would rather swim in platitudes should these players win 1 or several championships rather over anecdotes and articles in the vein of "whatever, he took the easy way out, this is a meaningless championship." Sure, the people who were not fans will keep piling on the ammunition, but newer generations come in and all they hear are the platitudes and the revisions and the narratives crafted around the winners - for all the complaints about parity and how much one team looks like it'll dominate the next couple years, it's funny that nobody complains about Jordan's Bulls owning almost an entire decade. Again, not saying it as a fan (as mentioned, my club lost out on KD :P ), but it's just how the psychology of sports nostalgia works, in my opinion.

At any rate, it's also funny to see Reggie chime in. I loved Miller growing up (guys like him, Bird, Ray Allen, and admittedly Steph Curry are guys I always enjoy watching - people who break your heart with a dagger 3 in the clutch) but being the king of a kingdom is also a matter of luck. Teams talk about loyalty and sometimes they stand by it (Kobe's egregious final contracts with the Lakers) but there's zero guarantee they'll want to keep you when the newer, shinier toy comes out. Not how all franchises work, but at the end of the day it's a business and we've seen tons of examples recently of that dynamic coming into play.
jkw3000
Art Freak

Postby PrintNoob87 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:54 pm

The thing is I still don't really understand it. The team he was on HAD THEM BEAT this year and there's a good chance they even got better in the offseason. He could have signed the same deal to stay, beat GS, and won a championship as THE MAN. Then he could have gone off and done whatever he wanted with little to no backlash.

Do people think there's any way he doesn't opt out after this first year? Is he more likely to opt out if they win it all or don't win it all?
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:25 pm

Win it all, opt out, go back to OKC?!?!
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Sports