Deflate-Gate Thread: a.k.a. The Dumbest Scandal of All Time

An arena for athletics. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby erba on Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:44 pm

mistersmith wrote:
erba wrote:My question to you is do you think the giants were punished along the lines of the other teams above or do you think they got off a little lighter? I'd have to say what they did would have to be considered similar to the what the Browns did in the above examples.

I think it looks pretty ok to me. Considering: the Giants didn't gain much of a competitive advantage, they simply replaced a broken system (QB Comms) with one they weren't supposed to, for only a portion of one game, and that the league doesn't think the exercised the only potential advantage the team could have had. "One NFL source told ESPN's Adam Schefter that even though the Giants weren't communicating with Manning within 15 seconds of the play clock ending, they had the "opportunity" to do it."

The Falcons were punished more harshly, and should have been -- affecting in-game play, repeatedly, in ways nobody's allowed to.

I think the Browns were overly punished. I don't get what advantage came from what was happening. Texts? So what. Farmer could have been standing on the sideline saying the same fudge too, right, so, that one seemed like a technicality to me. (Plus, losing their GM might even help the Browns ba-zing)

erba wrote:My complaint with Goddell is that he's not very consistent. I also look at the way they handled the Josh Brown situation. Remember when the league wasn't going to stand for domestic violence? They were going to hand out hard suspensions? They gave him one game.

I agree that punishments don't seem consistent. It would be nice if there was a schedule of violations and punishments, but, there are too many variables. And as far as individuals go the players signed off on Goodell being a dictator, and remember Goodell's only job is to be the owners' stooge, so, this is what they get.

Brown should have had more games -- but it was for an incident a year old that people just found out about. And it doesn't appear as if he's even been charged with a crime, right (I googled some)? That makes him an equal piece of garbage but it's less of an offense against football, if that means anything.

Here's the difference: Goodell wants to put the best product possible on the field and maintain the league's image, because those things lead to profitability. So cheating -- and drugs is in this bucket because of what PEDs did to baseball -- gets slapped hard as hell, whereas even subhuman shitpiles like Greg Hardy get to keep playing because they're starters. Fair? No. Moral? No. But Goodell is the hired gun of the NFL money, so, his decisions are based on what's best for the money. And knowing that -- that's why he'd never put a target on Kraft or Brady's back unless he felt he had to for the greater good: they're too valuable, necessary, and marketable. But in all the cases where the Pats got slapped, he felt there was enough potential to scar the league that a slight black mark against their golden boy and favorite franchise was an acceptable loss. Because the alternative is millions thinking the game is rigged or that Super Bowls were tainted, and not spending their money with the NFL.

I agree with you on the Browns. They were hit too hard (I thought the Chiefs were too).

As far as Brown, he wasn't charged because his wife wouldn't talk. The NFL was aware of some issues though. A report had NFL and hotel security moving his wife to a different hotel during the pro bowl because he was basically trying to beat her door down. If they tried to move her then to for safety, they should have started looking into things then.
erba
Art Expert

Postby mistersmith on Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:56 pm

erba wrote:As far as Brown, he wasn't charged because his wife wouldn't talk.

Which I can't believe is a law in the US. That's what Hardy did too: the victim won't testify (Hardy paid her, I'm sure Brown's wife just thinks he's a good guy that had a bad day or something) so it's dropped, moving on. Sickening.
mistersmith
Art Freak

electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.

Postby fredo on Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:03 pm

mistersmith wrote:
fredo wrote:they went for Brady's head over what should have been a parking ticket for the team.

Except the NFL strongly believed -- whether any of us do or not -- that Brady was directly complicit, up to and including mandating and overseeing the illegal activity, and that when confronted, he refused to cooperate. Hence individual penalties, not solely a team penalty.

A) No it didn't "believe" anything. It was a fishing expedition following a bullshit call gone wrong. And they used due process after the fact as an excuse to fry him- a tried and true method of convicting without proving the initial claim #marthastewart.

B) It doesn't matter if they did believe it. It's still a team penalty. There is no "but if a player is involved he's in trouble too" clause.
fredo
Art God

gone moosin'

Postby mistersmith on Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:04 pm

fredo wrote:A) No it didn't "believe" anything. It was a fishing expedition following a bullshit call gone wrong. And they used due process after the fact as an excuse to fry him- a tried and true method of convicting without proving the initial claim.

You sound like misterx talking about whatever the drymount nonsense he's talking about today. This is nonsense conspiracy theory. If the NFL were so intent on "frying him"...tell me why. Why the hell would they take their biggest name, their most visible good guy, the leader of one of their most popular teams, and "fry" him. They didn't wake up one day and say, "hey let's drymount with Brady." If he was targeted, give us one plausible reason as to why.

Or maybe he just told his equipment guys to take the edge off and then tried to destroy the evidence.
mistersmith
Art Freak

electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.

Postby fredo on Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:45 pm

As I said- there is no rational logic at play here. Ownership across the NFL and about every other major sports league never makes sense as a group - hence the salary caps.

And any case I don't need a why. They did it. And they did it in broad daylight two weeks before the Supah Ball. We all saw it.
And they got away with it because everybody hates the Pats (which I do not begrudge btw) and immediately sides with authority when it judges in their favor.

ps Merry Christmas, smith
fredo
Art God

gone moosin'

Postby jjttdw on Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:49 am

Greatest ending to the dumbest scandal of all time. I hope Goodell personally checked the pressure of the balls at halftime. Maybe a pic of Goodell handing Brady the MVP trophy then this thread can be locked?
jjttdw
Art Expert

NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart

Postby fredo on Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:30 pm

But if we lock it, it dies.
fredo
Art God

gone moosin'

Postby pewter14 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:07 pm

Matt Patricia getting off the plane today, keeping it real ...

pewter14
EB Team

mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.

Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines

Postby fredo on Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:10 pm

Masspoht! Rescuin' 'em from the Wolf of Wall Street scene that was no doubt playing out on there.
fredo
Art God

gone moosin'

Postby pearlybaker on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:04 pm

RK punking Roger was so great - the stare among the boos and the dismissal after handing the trophy was so clutch. "Now go get your drymounting shine box, Commish."
pearlybaker
Flipper

All right Hamilton!

Postby pewter14 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:13 am

Prime on fire ... some serious Manning shade ...

https://mobile.twitter.com/Walsh__ie/st ... 73/video/1
pewter14
EB Team

mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.

Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines

Postby jjttdw on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:14 pm

Brady's jersey found!!!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18958516/tom-brady-stolen-super-bowl-jersey-found-possession-international-media-member

Evidently the dude that stole it also stole Brady's SB 49 jersey and Von Miller's helmet and cleats from SB 50
jjttdw
Art Expert

NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart

Postby Jesusmalverde on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:46 pm

Mexico
Jesusmalverde
Art Expert

Postby fredo on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:39 pm

Almost certainly found on some VERY well used sex dolls. Like barely inflated anymore.
fredo
Art God

gone moosin'

Postby sidewaysscott on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:42 pm

jjttdw wrote:Brady's jersey found!!!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18958516/tom-brady-stolen-super-bowl-jersey-found-possession-international-media-member

Evidently the dude that stole it also stole Brady's SB 49 jersey and Von Miller's helmet and cleats from SB 50

Wow. How drymounting crazy.
sidewaysscott
Art God

pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.

PreviousNext

Return to Sports