MLB 2024.

An arena for athletics. Post lifetime is 1 year.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:52 pm

Especially if Ohtani doesn’t care for LA’s interpreter. 8)
jamel-d
Art Freak

Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:24 pm

In an effort to enable the Dodgers to continue spending around stars Ohtani, Mookie Betts and Freddie Freeman, Ohtani agreed to defer all but $2 million of his annual salary — $68 million of his $70 million per year — until after the completion of the contract. The deferred money is to be paid out without interest from 2034 to 2043.

What a crock of fudge.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:27 pm

jamel-d wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:24 pm
In an effort to enable the Dodgers to continue spending around stars Ohtani, Mookie Betts and Freddie Freeman, Ohtani agreed to defer all but $2 million of his annual salary — $68 million of his $70 million per year — until after the completion of the contract. The deferred money is to be paid out without interest from 2034 to 2043.

What a crock of fudge.
wow, is that real? That's a crock and shouldn't be allowed. Should be with interest not that he needs it, but as a "penalty" to the Dodgers. Interesting negotiations there.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
jamel-d
Art Freak

Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:31 pm

From the Athletic

The previously unreported deferrals were said to be suggested by Ohtani himself as the negotiations vaulted the figure towards $700 million, the person briefed on the terms told The Athletic. The deal is expected to soon be finalized.

The unusual structure is intended to provide the Dodgers additional cash flow and payroll flexibility. In the meantime, Ohtani continues to bring in big dollars elsewhere from endorsements and off-the-field ventures. Ohtani is believed to make $50 million per year annually away from the diamond, the person briefed on the terms told The Athletic.

The deferrals also give Dodgers extra freedom navigating the competitive balance tax, or luxury tax as it’s called. For CBT purposes, the expected average annual value on the contract is said to be closer to $46 million per year, the person briefed on the terms said. The Dodgers remain in the mix at the top of the market, particularly for pitching, with free-agent Japanese right-hander Yoshinobu Yamamoto and Rays right-hander Tyler Glasnow among their targets.

Ohtani’s contract went well past the $426.5 million his former Angels teammate, Mike Trout, received in the previous record deal. Ohtani’s agent at Creative Artists Agency, Nez Balelo, hinted at the deferral arrangement when Ohtani’s decision to join the Dodgers was announced.

“He is excited to begin this partnership, and he structured his contract to reflect a true commitment from both sides to long-term success,” Balelo said in a statement at the time.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:14 pm

Currently in talks with Yamamoto.
They say that would be a 300 million dollar contract.
Basically replaced the farm system by poaching Japanese proven talent.
Crazy AF.
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:36 pm

I don't know they replaced the farm system they still have one of the top 5 to 10 minor league systems in baseball
turnJBup
Art Freak

Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:22 am

It seemed like you could count on their youth excelling.
Always had a bunch of the top prospects year after year. Difference makers. 5 rookies of the year in a row? That’s effing nuts.
Now they are known for buying the big ticket every August and tanking early in the playoffs.
It might have a little to do with being one of the very last teams to pick in the first round for so many years? Probably picking 25-30th for 12 years caught up to them?
That’s a long ass rut.
I’m sure their scouts are still top shelf.

The 2024 pitching staff is the worst I’ve ever seen.
Bueller and May both coming back from Tommy John and they’re expected to simply pick up where they left off. Banking on it?
Eduardo Rodriguez refusing to be traded to LA right before the deadline cost LA big time. They needed that arm.
Kershaw will hopefully be back, they better not gank him and send him off to Texas.
After signing a billion in Japanese talent if they get Yamamoto, it looks like they will send him packing.
I’d like to see him retire in Blue.
One more season with a series win.
But he went to high school 30 minutes from Globe Life Field… Seager is there and they’re looking to repeat.
Fack.
They needed Blake Snell and 3-4 other arms.
But they went for selling jerseys instead.
The plan of out hitting opponents sure backfired in vs AZ in October. Going to be a long ass year.
Angels may actually top The Dodgers record.. wouldn’t that be crazy? It’s like switching lanes on the freeway on bumper to bumper traffic.
Oof.
That’s my teams outlook.
K I’m done…

Wait… drymount Cody Bellinger.
Hope he stays his ass in Chicago.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:50 pm

Just like that, LA has a rotation.
Well, maybe.
Next year for sure.

Snell to SF most likely?
I don’t think The Dodgers have another 300 million do they? Jeez.
If Bozo ( Dustin May ) and Ferris ( Bueller ) can perform at their previous levels… holy crap.
Looking up at Chavez Ravine.
lightyears2010
Art Expert

Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:05 pm

gonna be fun watching them win 110 games and lose in the NLDS. they make it hard not to root against them.
lightyears2010
Art Expert

Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:14 pm

i need to watch moneyball again soon. maybe my favorite baseball movie.

sad to see the a's leaving oakland.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:57 pm

I’m on the other end…
I feel for the die hard A’s fans, but that stadium & organization is dead.
You can finish your beer before walking a couple sections over to pick up a foul ball.
A move to Vegas is probably just what the organization needs… they’ve been struggling for decades. Almost as bad as LA in game 7’s.
Not sure if Vegas is a baseball town, but Oakland isn’t. Yeah… their checkbook and huge stadium doesn’t help.
If MLB flies in Vegas it would be awesome.
They should go with:
The Las Vegas Rat Pack.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:34 pm

Guess what?
All teams currently have their pitchers and catchers at training camp.

All we need is an automated K zone,
but things are moving.
meskell
Art Expert

Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:56 pm

Looking forward to a couple of spring training games coming up fast on my calendar.
Wanda: I can't stand people. I hate them. Do you hate them?
Henry: No, but I seem to feel better when they're not around.