Good Backpacking Spots

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby HisBobness on Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:46 pm

Just picked up the Gregory Baltoro 75 in Electric Yellow. Can't wait to get out there this summer!

I think what sold me on the Gregory is the back support and just how comfortable it is to wear.

Also, I know it's not a big deal, but the large water bottle holder is angled for easy access. On the old Osprey, the bottle holder sits vertical. Makes you look damn near retarded trying to pull it in/out.

HisBobness
Art Expert

Postby mistersmith on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:01 pm

I have a closet full of Dana Designs, so I'm pretty much set for life on the pack side of things...
mistersmith
Art Freak

electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby wneff on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:28 am

HisBobness wrote:Just picked up the Gregory Baltoro 75 in Electric Yellow. Can't wait to get out there this summer!

I think what sold me on the Gregory is the back support and just how comfortable it is to wear.

Also, I know it's not a big deal, but the large water bottle holder is angled for easy access. On the old Osprey, the bottle holder sits vertical. Makes you look damn near retarded trying to pull it in/out.

I'm ditching my Osprey pack this year and think I might check out a Gregory hi-capacity, as I am the family Sherpa. The Osprey never fit me perfectly, but I've worn some very comfy Gregory packs over the years.

My wife uses a hi-capacity Dana Designs woman's pack and she will never, ever let it go.

The kids are very stoked for backpacking again this summer - we talked about it through our entire dinner last night.
wneff
Art Expert

Postby jesseindisguise on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:33 am

Nice looking pack, I need a new one. Brought an older Kelty into Pfeiffer last summer and it was a bit of a beast. The trail was sweet though, Sykes Hot Springs was the destination, about 10 miles inland from Highway 1. Campsite was basically empty when we finally made it, had our pick of the sites. Even better, after hiking out we were only 5 minutes driving from Nepenthe for burgers and beers.
jesseindisguise
Art Expert

Blake wrote:Always Be Tubing.

Postby wneff on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:37 am

I look forward to doing some hiking in Big Sur someday...
wneff
Art Expert

Postby HisBobness on Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:48 pm

I'll be spending 3 nights up and around the Bishop Pass Trail in Bishop with my backpack and a fishing pole. Anyone have experience hiking with a fishing pole? Tips?
HisBobness
Art Expert

Postby fredo on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:21 am

HisBobness wrote:Anyone have experience hiking with a fishing pole? Tips?

Try not to laugh when he bites the fly and throws the reel a few times. He'll learn.

Actually- aren't there rod-carrying cases you can strap to a pack?
fredo
Art God

it is imperative to expedite matters to my satisfaction

Postby PrintNoob87 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:27 am

HisBobness wrote:I'll be spending 3 nights up and around the Bishop Pass Trail in Bishop with my backpack and a fishing pole. Anyone have experience hiking with a fishing pole? Tips?

I don't see mine on this page, but there are some pretty decent telescopic fishing poles out there. Not sure how heavy duty the fishing you plan on doing is, but mine is on par with a lot of these and works great for trout, bass and other pan fish.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... ing%20pole
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Postby HisBobness on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:49 am

PrintNoob87 wrote:
HisBobness wrote:I'll be spending 3 nights up and around the Bishop Pass Trail in Bishop with my backpack and a fishing pole. Anyone have experience hiking with a fishing pole? Tips?

I don't see mine on this page, but there are some pretty decent telescopic fishing poles out there. Not sure how heavy duty the fishing you plan on doing is, but mine is on par with a lot of these and works great for trout, bass and other pan fish.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... ing%20pole

Those are bad ass! I hadn't even thought about a telescoping pole. they're pretty cheap too.I'll be fishing golden trout so I think that pole will be fine. I'd rather not bring my G. Loomis. Thanks man!
HisBobness
Art Expert

Postby PrintNoob87 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:17 am

:pint:
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Postby HisBobness on Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:31 am

So long, Saugus... howdy, Bishop Pass. 4 days and 3 nights. Right at 30 lbs.
HisBobness
Art Expert

Postby ceevee on Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:01 am

Nice. 30 lbs is a good mark for a four day trip - fishing supplies included. Enjoy!
ceevee
Art Expert

Postby BuckRodgers on Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:26 am

If you find yourself near Livingston, MT, I recommend Pine Creek Lake. The hike is about five miles in (and up) and ends in a series of small lakes at the base of three peaks. Amazing fly fishing and the views are spectacular. Reminded me a little of traveling in Glacier NP :notworthy: , which, IMHO, is the most amazing NP in the USA. Yellowstone (not far from Livingston) is also nice, but there are far too many gapers in the summer. (The kind of gapers that think it's perfectly acceptable to hoist your kid onto a bison for a photo or leave the boardwalk to peer over the lip of a geyser.) Now that I'm in Chicago, I dream regularly of my childhood in MT. <weeping>
BuckRodgers
Art Connoisseur

Postby mistersmith on Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:23 pm

HisBobness wrote:So long, Saugus... howdy, Bishop Pass. 4 days and 3 nights. Right at 30 lbs.

For five seconds I was trying to figure out just what the hell was up with that wooden external frame. :)
mistersmith
Art Freak

electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby shoeless on Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:43 pm

Nice! Enjoy it man!
I really need to put some miles in. Haven't been at all this year. Had a couple multi day canoe trips. Also been finding backcountry car camping spots.
shoeless
Art Expert

fnord wrote:If you like something, for the love of dog don't share it with EB.

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes