Good Backpacking Spots

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby PrintNoob87 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:59 pm

This is a call-out to any backpackers roaming around Ebeans. What are some of your favorite spots to go backpacking? I'm always trying to find new places that may go unnoticed/don't get as much pub as some of the bigger national parks. I've done the Tetons and Yellowstone. I'm in Wisconsin so I go up to the U.P. pretty often and I'm working on a boundary waters trip for next summer. We're heading out to Zion later this year.

I'm interested to hear your favorite places and what makes them so. Also, if there are any specific spots that must be seen/trails that must be hiked while there. Any place in the world that you've really enjoyed.
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Postby shoeless on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:17 pm

Ive completed almost half of the Appalachian Trial over the past few years....about 950 miles worth at least.
From Georgia to Pennsylvania.
The section I enjoyed the most were the 80 miles of Smokey Mountain National Park in TN/NC.
Also really liked a lot of the Virginia section.

Would love to make it out west to do the John Muir Trail someday!

A couple pics:
Mcafee Knob in VA

Roan Mountain/Carvers Gap TN

Smokey Mountain NP-Rocky Top MT TN
shoeless
Art Expert

fnord wrote:If you like something, for the love of dog don't share it with EB.

Postby PrintNoob87 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:55 pm

Wow - so how much ground are you covering on average per trip?
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Postby Jesusmalverde on Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:22 pm

The Lost Coast. Epic.
Jesusmalverde
Art Expert

Postby shoeless on Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:37 pm

PrintNoob87 wrote:Wow - so how much ground are you covering on average per trip?

I did all 80 miles of the Smokey section in one trip. Took my time and was out for 7 days.
Most other trips I cover anywhere between 30 to 50 miles over a weekend.

Most recent trip was Damascus Virginia. Started with great weather, ended with about a foot and a half of snow. Good times though!

Only been hiking out west once....in CO. Wish I could get out there more.
shoeless
Art Expert

Postby Grateful69Phish on Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:56 pm

Avid hiker here- hiked over 400 of the Appalachian Trail

Wisconsin aye? Got a real good one for you- Isle Royale National Park, upper penisula of Michigan- I hiked the entire island.

Do some research- its amazing, have to take a boat to the island- believe its the most northern point of the United States.

50 miles in 3 days is not normal for the average person jumping on the trail - plan more for 10 miles a day. 2 miles an hour is a quick pace for most people and unless you're super man, most folks are burn't after 8 hours of hiking with a average pack. Now if you're sleeping in the bushes and eating bugs with no pack weight- that changes things up, but I usually carry a pretty hefty pack because I hike in 5-7 day shots.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Postby Grateful69Phish on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:05 pm

Okay- trail photo wars!

I'm in 8)
Attachments
AT1.jpg
AT1.jpg (56.66 KiB) Viewed 2022 times
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Postby cinematical on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:10 pm

Zion is a fantastic park. Try the West Rim Trail. It starts on the trail that leads up to Angel's Landing, which is pretty popular, but if you keep going the crowd things out. Once you get up you'll find some really spectacular views of the canyon, and you can keep going quite a ways to turn a daytrip into an overnight trip.

If you are there for a while there's tons of good hiking. I was only there for a few days and plan on going back to really explore the park.
cinematical
Art Expert

http://novosfilm.wordpress.com

Codeblue wrote:Just sack up and do it.

dylansdad wrote:Iron Jaiden, give me the wood!

Postby shoeless on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:17 pm

Grateful69Phish wrote:50 miles in 3 days is not normal for the average person jumping on the trail - plan more for 10 miles a day. 2 miles an hour is a quick pace for most people

Very true.
I usually try to plan for 8-12 miles a day if Im packing my tent and a few days worth of good food.
If the weather is nice(no snow), I lighten my pack by about 7 pounds by bringing a hammock. Usually able to get by with more snacking rather than heavy lunches as well.

Last fall I started at the AT halfway point in PA and went 41 miles to Harpers Ferry in 3 days. Only made 8 miles the first day due to poor planning.....so the rest of the 33 miles in two days was rough. Beautiful hike though...great overlook of the Potomac:

Nice pic Gr8. Whats the location?!
shoeless
Art Expert

Postby cktbreaker on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:55 pm

I suggest since your going to Zion to make Zion (crowds) a short trip and head to Grandstaircase Escalante/Glenn Canyon Recreation area (no one around, often no trail to mindlessly follow). You go down the hole in the rock road on the west side of the Escalante river or you can go down the East side. Numerous canyon hikes, some so narrow you have to turn you head sideways to make it through. If you have rope skills it gets even better. Although now it would be getting a bit hot down there. Once I was there in June and ran with a full pack for about 5 miles chased by attacking deer flies. If your into this area check out Steve Allen a canyoneer/climber. He wrote a series of books after hiking the entire area. Great stories in the area as well. Everett Ruess' last know location was in the Escalante.

If you have rope skills I suggest in Zion that you check out "the Subway". All you need to do is rapel. Its awesome.
cktbreaker
Art Expert

Postby fredo on Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:02 pm

Oh! Be Joyful valley outside Crested Butte, CO. Go there.
fredo
Art God

it is imperative to expedite matters to my satisfaction

Postby Grateful69Phish on Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:58 pm

shoeless wrote:Nice pic Gr8. Whats the location?!

On top of a fire tower coming out of Hot Springs NC (think it's NC, trail goes along the state line in that area)

Heres another photo beauty I stumbled on in my albums...... makes me want to head out now
Attachments
AT81.jpg
AT81.jpg (107.98 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Postby shootsright77 on Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:39 pm

The Sierra-Nevadas are in my backyard, that's where I usually go. They offer unlimited options. A couple of weeks ago I headed to Onion Valley Campground, elevation 9,200 ft. The girl got altitude sickness.

Great fishing, hiking and camping on the Kern River. It's about 3-4 hours from my place. They've also got a bunch of scarey mines.

I'm actually headed to Zion this Friday the 22nd. I've got a spot at Watchman's Campground from Monday to Friday, an overnight permit for the Narrows and another overnight permit for the West Rim Trail.

I applied for a Subway permit for Monday, of the 6 people going, me and one other guy have basic rappelling skills.

Was thinking of hitting Bryce or Grand Staircase before Zion. Any suggestions?

Glacier NP 2013
Attachments
onionvalley 028 comp.jpg
onionvalley 028 comp.jpg (93.33 KiB) Viewed 1973 times
shootsright77
Art Connoisseur

Postby shootsright77 on Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:45 pm

Buckskin Gulch on the Utah-Arizona border is high on my list, just need a long weekend in June. Looks like it'll have to happen next year.

https://www.blm.gov/az/paria/hikingcalendar.cfm?areaid=3&CFID=1123720&CFTOKEN=11551337&jsessionid=80306f48ca024fecfb41773b2129556c77b7TR
shootsright77
Art Connoisseur

Postby finneganm on Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:46 pm

Grew up hiking in the Adirondacks. If you ever find yourself in upstate NY, make it happen, can't go wrong.
finneganm
Art Freak

That's what she said

Next

Return to Anything Goes