The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
bigmuls
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:48 am

earlgreytoast wrote:Woke this morning to this cute message from a French buyer. lol

"Helle, i've bought you a print of sheypard fairey And i don't want to pay custom fees...Can you send me the package as a gift!
Thanks a lot.

Have a nice day"

:lol:
All my listings state, "International Buyers – Please Note: Import duties, taxes, and charges are not included in the item price or shipping cost. These charges are the buyer's responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding or buying."

However, occasionally buyers have requested that I send it as a gift and I have done it. I still insure it for the full amount so that I'm covered if something happens. Just because you're sending a gift to someone doesn't mean that it can't be insured. Good luck!
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:26 am

FWIW, if sending to the UK, marking it as a Gift will do nothing. They still get hit with VAT.

Not sure about France. DMM doesn't say anything.

I mark everything as merchandise and for the value to which it was sold. Makes life easy. Establish a process and stick with it. I'm sorry your country charges taxes.
Last edited by halftonegraphics on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
bigmuls
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:27 am

halftonegraphics wrote:FWIW, if sending to the UK, marking it as a Gift will do nothing. They still get hit with VAT.
Isn't it more related to the amount you declare?
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:30 am

bigmuls wrote:
halftonegraphics wrote:FWIW, if sending to the UK, marking it as a Gift will do nothing. They still get hit with VAT.
Isn't it more related to the amount you declare?
I'm not 100% positive, but I believe it depends on the country and how the item is claimed. Taxes are generally based on the value, and most countries have it where if under a certain value you don't get hit. I believe also that marking it as a gift in some countries it will not be hit with taxes.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
Mapman
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:36 am

Easy solution, don't ship international! That or include bigmuls statement to international buyers in the auction description.

I've started adding a statement telling buyers they need to have a confirmed shipping addresses. Because if they don't match in paypal, you aren't covered by the seller protection.
bigmuls
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:38 am

Mapman wrote:Easy solution, don't ship international!
More than 50% of my ebay sales go to the UK and they usually sell for more than they would in the US for some reason.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:43 am

bigmuls wrote:
More than 50% of my ebay sales go to the UK and they usually sell for more than they would in the US for some reason.
Ditto. Not that high of a percentage for me though. Most of my skateboard stuff goes to Australia though.

International shipping can boost your sales incredibly. Just have to be smart about it.

1xRun Referral
mattlew69
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:44 am

bigmuls wrote:
Yes, for some reason, people in the UK, Europe and Australia will pay more for posters/prints than American buyers.

Besides, who else would buy our Mr. Brainwash prints? :wink:
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:46 am

Yeah, if you're going to sell on ebay you HAVE to sell internationally IMO. They definitely will pay more for an item because many sellers won't ship internationally so they don't have as many choices. I also find they just purchase at the asking price more often than not even though they have the option of making a best offer on most of my listings. LOVE the EU buyers of MBW crap! :notworthy:

Also, I would never mark something as a gift if it was bought as merchandise. For this one I will be putting down the face value of the print. If this guy had asked me for this favor before buying I would have politely declined and said that I have to mark the face value of the print for tax reasons. I told him today that I would not send as a gift but would put it down as $45 worth of merchandise. He was fine with it.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
summoner
Art Freak

Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:55 am

When dealing with eBay/Paypal if there is an issue with the package, and a claim is submitted, you HAVE to cover your ass. Any hint at trying to get around something and you are pretty much guaranteed to loose. I had someone ask me to set it to a low value, and send as gift as well. Just told them that to comply with eBay and Paypal rules, I had to declare the correct amount and that this was merchandise or both the seller/buyer guarantee was at risk of being voided. Once they realize that they would actually loose money if something goes wrong, they are good with the VAT after that.
Image Image Image
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:58 am

Not to get off topic, but just an FYI, dealing with a new situation here.

Had a package potentially stolen off of my doorstep yesterday. It was set for a pickup from USPS. My carrier kindly let me know it was not there when they came to pick it up. With USPS, when scheduling a pickup, you waive their responsibility for the package if it is stolen prior to pickup.

I insure through eBay/ShipCover though. After speaking with them, I just found out that the are in a similar boat. The item is required to have at least one scan on it to show it was in transit.

Sucky situation. Cost of convenience, I guess. Thankfully, a replaceable product.

1xRun Referral
summoner
Art Freak

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:00 am

halftonegraphics wrote:Not to get off topic, but just an FYI, dealing with a new situation here.

Had a package potentially stolen off of my doorstep yesterday. It was set for a pickup from USPS. My carrier kindly let me know it was not there when they came to pick it up. With USPS, when scheduling a pickup, you waive their responsibility for the package if it is stolen prior to pickup.

I insure through eBay/ShipCover though. After speaking with them, I just found out that the are in a similar boat. The item is required to have at least one scan on it to show it was in transit.

Sucky situation. Cost of convenience, I guess. Thankfully, a replaceable product.
You actually set packages outside to be picked up? I live kind of a secluded area, and even I am afraid that something will happen if I leave it to be picked up.

Sucks man, sorry!
Image Image Image
bigmuls
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:03 am

I leave mine to be picked up in a hallway on the main floor of my office building...
The only problem I've had is that USPS wasn't scanning the packages into their system, so I called and complained and, believe it or not, they seem to be scanning them more often now. However, if I'm shipping something valued over $249 I take it directly to the Post Office.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:06 am

I expect better from you all .... The customers are calling for "well if you are willing to pay X more- that button might just get hit on accident"...... :lol:

The money is best off in the hands of "the people" anyways 8)

Or how about this... This customer service...."Well, if ypure willing to cancel the sale and send the money as a gift_ you part of the family"
sk8nshoot1
Art Expert

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:11 am

Superfro33 wrote:
halftonegraphics wrote:Seems a little strange. One sold for only $71 just an hour before. Then again, you get some funky buyers on eBay. There are plenty of BIN for less than the ending price as well. Some buyers only see the first item listed...
Sometimes fudge just don't make no sense. I sold a print a few weeks ago for $225 that didn't get a single bid when I listed it a week prior for $150 starting bid and $175 BIN. People on there are just weird. :crazy: (And all of us here are paranoid. :P )
Some people aren't on 24 hours a day and 7 days a week monitoring prices... They see, they like, they buy... Luck of the draw (pardon the pun)
BK: "Flatstock is like chum for flippers"