The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:16 pm

eBay 323091341059

I was looking for some Mucha last night and came across this seller. What is the deal with this dude and his offerings? They can’t be real. Only one negative feedback though and it is disguised as a positive? Strange. Love this Magritte doe.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
shoeless
Art Expert

Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:24 pm

A Monet Lillies painting for $1200?
Seems like a deal to me!
dwlfennell
Art Connoisseur

Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:08 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:eBay 323091341059

I was looking for some Mucha last night and came across this seller. What is the deal with this dude and his offerings? They can’t be real. Only one negative feedback though and it is disguised as a positive? Strange. Love this Magritte doe.
Haha, but they come with COAs! Not sure how these sellers continue to get away with it, although the positive feedback helps. That "Magritte" is terrible. I also see a lot of fake paintings coming out of Peru on eBay. I think a lot of buyers are just clueless and want to believe they're real and others knowingly buy as reproductions. That being said, one could buy a much better reproduction from China.
misterwhisper
Art Expert

Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:34 am

I've seen so many fakes coming out of Spain and Italy that I don't even look at anything coming from those countries anymore. And there then there was the guy a few years' back in Argentina trying to sell West County Prince fakes as genuine Banksys. And then there's the dude stateside who's constantly selling hundreds of the fake Basquiat "subway suitcase" postcards. eBay 332565366308
And the Swedish dude I mentioned on the previous page who got exposed by Pure Evil after selling him a ton of fake Warhols and Harings, and who's since changed his ebay ID and is currently selling, what else, fake Warhols. eBay 152910383468
It's scary how ebay still lets them get away with it. People suck. Be careful.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:28 pm

Something something too good to be true. #TGT
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:22 pm

Codeblue wrote:Something something too good to be true. #TGT
I've seen a couple too good to be true listings that were actually not scams. One was a BIN. Someone emailed the seller after the auction and the seller cancelled the transaction with the buyer. relisted, then got almost 4x the original BIN price.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
misterwhisper
Art Expert

Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:55 am

Ugh, I just screwed up. I just sold an item (book) via GSP, it's going to Canada. However, I made the mistake of relying on ebay's estimation of dimensions instead of weighing the damn thing myself. So this item was sold with the shipping weight of 1 lb, but it really weighs 8-10 oz more. As near as I can estimate, the difference that GSP charges with those few ounces ends up being about $12-16 on the buyer's end. What happens in this case? Does the item get refused by GSP for insufficent postage, or the buyer get billed? Obviously I want to ensure that this thing gets delivered, and I don't want the buyer having to pay extra $$$ because of my mistake. Any idea how I fix this?
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:06 am

i might guess that you will be fine. they palletize the fudge and freight it together, if i know right. not sure they will even know. as for your end, being a book, ship it via Media Mail. wont be much more and it will satisfy the local delivery/tracking options.

worst case, ask eBay.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
misterwhisper
Art Expert

Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:19 pm

Thanks halftone! Called ebay and they said that the international shipping center handles all billing, and if there's additional charges they will bill the buyer (what I'm trying to avoid). However, they also said that books get sent flat rate, so I might be okay, and/or if you're right and it's palletized, I should be okay too (gonna pack it small just in case). However when I packed up and shipped out an identical item (this listing with the proper weight) going to the UK, I printed my label and it said, "When you click pay and print, the total label cost will be charged to your paypal account and you will be able to print your shipping label. You may also incur an additional charge due based on your package's size, weight, and service when measured and accepted by the shipping carrier" which implies that they WILL bill me if there's additional charges. I guess I'll just ship it out and see what happens.
Jpup
Art Connoisseur

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:42 pm

mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:56 pm

lol. A badly damaged bootleg for $400+? :lol:
So it goes...
bubbie
Art Expert

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:28 am

Luls. What am I missing?
eleaf
Art Connoisseur

Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:23 am

This maybe has been brought up already - so apologize if so - but has anyone else had their listings switched from Buy It Now to Best Offer. 1st happened w/ about half my listings 3-4 weeks ago with no notification. Last night got an email notification that 9 items had been opened to offers to increase likliehood of sales. Anyhow - was wondering if anyone else had had that happen & if there was a setting you could select to avoid that happening. Thanks!
cotis
Art Expert

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:28 am

eleaf wrote:This maybe has been brought up already - so apologize if so - but has anyone else had their listings switched from Buy It Now to Best Offer. 1st happened w/ about half my listings 3-4 weeks ago with no notification. Last night got an email notification that 9 items had been opened to offers to increase likliehood of sales. Anyhow - was wondering if anyone else had had that happen & if there was a setting you could select to avoid that happening. Thanks!
I think it happens if you have things listed at BIN price for a long period of time and none sell, so they figure hey maybe an offer would entice him.

morale of story: lower your prices so your fudge sells. :D
Aliquantum

Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:58 pm

cotis wrote:
eleaf wrote:This maybe has been brought up already - so apologize if so - but has anyone else had their listings switched from Buy It Now to Best Offer. 1st happened w/ about half my listings 3-4 weeks ago with no notification. Last night got an email notification that 9 items had been opened to offers to increase likliehood of sales. Anyhow - was wondering if anyone else had had that happen & if there was a setting you could select to avoid that happening. Thanks!
I think it happens if you have things listed at BIN price for a long period of time and none sell, so they figure hey maybe an offer would entice him.

morale of story: lower your prices so your fudge sells. :D
It's irritating. Ebay said it's a new feature, and happens when the starting price is higher than the average sales for that particular item.