The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:49 am

Luls. Dafug is it?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:50 am

Your kraft paper will be rolled in print
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
elroy404
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:57 am

James Eads musta pack it
lujborg
Art Expert

Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:33 pm

elroy404 wrote:James Eads musta pack it

no then it would have been rolled vertically.
I'm here for the oil palm breeding (international society member, since 2003)
HenryGaleWasHere
Art Expert

Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:07 pm

Codeblue wrote:Luls. Dafug is it?
McCarthy Dagobah, forgot I bid on it til I won the auction. Could've been worse.
pvecchi
Art Expert

Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:33 pm

Had a buyer file a claim on a $300+ item as Item not Delivered

Went to my Post Office and got a copy of the signature with a name different than the buyer. Post Office basically says I need to open a fraud case if he is claiming it wasn't received, because according to them it was signed for.

Asked buyer if he knew the person who signed for it

he said Yes, and she received prints for me that day, just not the print I bought from you

I asked how is this my problem if they signed for it? Wouldn't it be their responsibility?

No response for almost two weeks. Then today the Buyer closed the eBay case and opened a Paypal one for the same item.

I think I am good because he basically admitted the person who signed for it was his representative that signs for his things (he lives in an apartment complex)

He either had some very bad luck with someone signing for a package he didn't receive or he is trying to scam me.....either way he is a dickhead for involving me in something I am not responsible for
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:18 pm

ID for the donkey list please
pvecchi
Art Expert

Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:27 pm

stuckeyc wrote:ID for the donkey list please
PM sent
soupysound
EB Team

Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:17 am

best 3rd party shipping insurance for prints over 2K USD? shipping to UK and USPS said the limit is $650. i've used insurepost in the past, but i think their limit is 1K USD.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:54 pm

soupysound wrote:best 3rd party shipping insurance for prints over 2K USD? shipping to UK and USPS said the limit is $650. i've used insurepost in the past, but i think their limit is 1K USD.

if you send it via USPS GXG, its $2499 insurance cap.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
virtualj
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:42 pm

*insurance is for suckers
I donate anonymously.
soupysound
EB Team

Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:32 am

for some reason, GXG wasn't coming up as an option when shipping to london which i thought was really weird. USPS PM or USPS PM exress were the only options.

*and i don't mind paying an extra $25 on insurance for peace of mind if i am clearing 1.5K. :pint:
SpaceYourAntelope
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:27 am

haven wrote:
haven wrote:I had something on ebay with a BIN and free shipping. Someone from Australia contacted me, asked if I'd ship there, I gave them the price for priority or first class and added the extra onto what I had it listed for. The person then says his father is going to pay for it with his ebay account, so I message the father with the offer, he buys it but it's now been 3 days with no payment. This morning I get a message from the son saying they're still waiting to be able to purchase it. And just now I get this message

Hi, my father and I tried to pay via his eBay account *****. I sent you a message via his eBay saying that eBay wouldn t allow the transaction because there was no shipping listed. Therefore you needed to send a listing for the price ($125) plus the shipping ($13). Could you please send that to ***** so we can pay for it as we tried paying for it but eBay would not allow the transaction. Many thanks.

Does that make any sense? I put 0.00 for shipping in the offer since it's free shipping. Plus I never got any message from them that ebay wouldn't allow the transaction.

Thinking I should walk away from this one.
Little follow up to this.

So I cancelled this, never could shake the vibe that something was wrong. Waited about a week to relist and then immediately got a message from another Australian, again from Canberra, asking if I'd ship there and I said no. Yesterday the print sells, to the same guy I just said no to, but now he has a Portland address. So I tell him I find this odd, that I've already cancelled once due to another Aussie's strange behavior, and can he explain. Tells me he's a long time collector of the artist and he setup a forwarding address since it's the only way to get it down under. He then sends me another message saying that the transaction I cancelled was most likely his wife. Now that makes no sense since the person in the first transaction said they were going to have their father pay for it thru his ebay account. So I ask the new buyer can you tell me the name your wife would use on messages. No reply.

This morning I googled this address, 9455 NE Alderwood Rd, and all sorts of fraud warnings popped up. Not sure what their angle is since it's a fairly inexpensive print, but something's not right. If you keep a blocked list here are the usernames.

ricci17
liklik_octii
cyborgcitizen

Why don't you just use eBay's Global Shipping Program for international orders?? You send the item to eBay, and they forward it to the international address... Cost's you nothing extra and puts the responsibility on eBay once it arrived at their shipping hub. Seems like a no-brainier to me
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:36 pm

from a sellers stand point, yes, gsp can be good. once its in the hands of eBay, no fault of yours. international buyers would disagree. the fees and charges are quite large on their side.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
SpaceYourAntelope
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:48 pm

How much are the fees to the buyer? I didn't realize it costs them more than actual shipping... I've sold to international buyers before using it with no issues on either end. If a seller like Haven is skeptical of shipping internationally and the buyer isnt going to get the product without it, it seems like a good solution to me...