The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:08 pm

Mapman wrote:I sent an offer of $100 on a $135 BIN, was hoping to get it for around $110-115. The issue here isn't the offer amounts, it's the complete silence from the seller, why list it with Best offer, if you aren't going to respond.
That is not lowball IMO. The dude that send me an offer was at around 40% of BIN.

Maybe the seller is negotiating with someone else and doesn't want to respond to you until he knows whether the other deal will close.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:22 pm

ccsmd598 wrote:
Mapman wrote:I sent an offer of $100 on a $135 BIN, was hoping to get it for around $110-115. The issue here isn't the offer amounts, it's the complete silence from the seller, why list it with Best offer, if you aren't going to respond.
If you're using the mobile app to create a listing, E-bay has been defaulting all BIN listings w/best offer - there's no way of removing it unless you use the desktop site (unless the problem is only with iPhone). But still, it takes about 5 seconds to send a response.

not just mobile. they are doing it with all newer/non-veteran accounts. and it doesnt appear that you have the option to disable it.
Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 7.21.02 PM.png
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
LeeKaye
Art Expert

Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:48 am

If I list anything best offer, I don't respond or reply with a counter offer. I leave it for a while, see what offers come in and then accept what I am happy with. Conversely, if I see something I want. I sit back, have a think and go in with my best offer usually. If I play games and try and haggle, then it could be sold to someone else.

I think it's just different approaches. I mean why don't you go in with your best offer to start with? I've never been one for haggling to be honest, so I think I am probably doing it wrong. It's just different strokes. *shrugs*
Mapman
Art Expert

Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:39 pm

I guess I just view Best Offer as a way to haggle to a price. Apparently I'm in the minority in that thinking. I :neutral:
canuck
Art Freak

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:00 pm

This new layout on the desktop makes me wanna throw my computer through the window.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:07 pm

So it goes...
cotis
Art Expert

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:15 pm

canuck wrote:This new layout on the desktop makes me wanna throw my computer through the window.
yep drymount that.
davemfan
Art Expert

Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:38 am

Mapman wrote:I guess I just view Best Offer as a way to haggle to a price. Apparently I'm in the minority in that thinking. I :neutral:
I agree. I find being a seller that offers BIN that i have the total opposite of your experience. The buyer will send an offer, i counter, then silence or they decline. They rarely try to counter my counter. I guess they truly submit their best offer from the get go? Who does that?
ImageImageImage
PLUSH
Art Expert

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:11 pm

First time, long time.

Netherlands. Tracking shows

Attempted Delivery - Item being held, addressee being notified

then later in the day: Delivered

He says he didn't get it. He already wants his money back. :roll:

I told him to contact his local post. He told me I needed to contact them. :hanging:
ToonKiller
Art Expert

Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:04 am

I stopped shipping internationally because of this.

I never looked into the Global Shipping Program cause I don't trust EBay. But I do like the idea of if something like what happened to Plush happens that EBay is on the hook to reimburse the buyer. What are the downfalls of the GSP other than risking bad feedback because of what they buyer pays in shipping fees?
bert
Art Expert

Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:19 am

If the address is confirmed in PayPal and tracked delivery shows delivered, I'm not sure how there's much you can do. Buyer should be raging at his post office, not you.

It's not an international shipping problem though, same fudge can happen in any country. I don't get limiting your market if you want to sel for a high price. It's pretty safe to ship to a lot of intl countries. I tried buying posters off a guy in France recently and he didn't want to ship international as "he didn't have time to fill out the customs paperwork" (which takes all of 4 minutes). I'd have paid 3x what he sold them for, so it seems shortsighted to me.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:15 am

ToonKiller wrote:I never looked into the Global Shipping Program cause I don't trust EBay. But I do like the idea of if something like what happened to Plush happens that EBay is on the hook to reimburse the buyer. What are the downfalls of the GSP other than risking bad feedback because of what they buyer pays in shipping fees?
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that EBay would remove negative feedback for shipping/customs fees if the item went through GSP.

Only real drawback is that it is expensive for the buyer, and that is understood by a lot of international buyers, so using GSP can cause you to not receive bids from buyers who would otherwise be interested.

Personally, I use it on all auctions, and have zero complaints as a seller with it.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:05 am

I use GSP. It seems decent as a seller since eBay seems to take some of the risk: They inspect then ship internationally so if it arrives damaged it is on them. If it doesn't arrive, isn't it on them too??

Halftone would know.....a more useful source of eBay info than anyone at eBay.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
ciphe
Art Expert

Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:31 am

iwokeinrelief wrote:
ToonKiller wrote:I never looked into the Global Shipping Program cause I don't trust EBay. But I do like the idea of if something like what happened to Plush happens that EBay is on the hook to reimburse the buyer. What are the downfalls of the GSP other than risking bad feedback because of what they buyer pays in shipping fees?
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that EBay would remove negative feedback for shipping/customs fees if the item went through GSP.

Only real drawback is that it is expensive for the buyer, and that is understood by a lot of international buyers, so using GSP can cause you to not receive bids from buyers who would otherwise be interested.

Personally, I use it on all auctions, and have zero complaints as a seller with it.

The GSP is very expensive for overseas buyers, but as a seller it's a no brainer for me. eBay will retract all negative feedback and compensate for any damaged or lost items in transit. The only negative is that a lot of buyers will lowball offers to offset the added fees.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:19 pm

^^I've found that our European brothers and sisters pay higher prices for my garbage than Americans. I may start adding language about GSP though.