The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
tourist504
Art Expert

Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:35 am

guryter wrote:*Will ship one day after cleared payment*
That was the line! I made a bundle selling bootlegs one summer when I was 19. Can't get away with that anymore.
maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.
BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.
jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.
Imagex6
guryter
Art Expert

Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:51 am

I just remember my brother and I (pre-paypal) thinking it would be a great idea to list all our vhs tapes at a starting bid of $1. We sold around 40 and had to deposit/wait for checks to clear/ship. Some people sent money orders, those people we liked. What a pain in the ass it was.

Wouldn't be so bad with mobile deposit now but checks...lol.
Stingers wrote:If you can't get it up eat less fudge, excersise and stop being a kitten.
john38103 wrote:All gin every thing. drymount all you hoes.
Relax, I honestly don't give a fudge.
bigmuls
Art Expert

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:14 pm

I recently bought a pair of sunglasses on eBay for $40 plus $14 expedited shipping. They finally arrived after being shipped more than a week after I placed the order, came in a crappy box made from pieces of an Xbox box, and are in horrible condition (scratched to the point where I can barely see out of them). The shipping label also indicated the seller paid $4 for shipping. The seller doesn't accept returns. I filed a claim for item not as described and the seller offered a $25 refund. Should I accept the partial refund or go for a full refund?

Thanks for any advice.
haven
Art Expert

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:25 pm

Full refund, obviously. If they're so scratched you can barely see out of them what would be the point of a partial refund?
bigmuls
Art Expert

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:29 pm

haven wrote:Full refund, obviously. If they're so scratched you can barely see out of them what would be the point of a partial refund?
I'm worried I won't get the full refund since he doesn't accept returns.
haven
Art Expert

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:37 pm

bigmuls wrote:
haven wrote:Full refund, obviously. If they're so scratched you can barely see out of them what would be the point of a partial refund?
The seller accepting returns or not is irrelevant if the item doesn't show up in the stated condition.
parlow
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:14 pm

haven wrote:
bigmuls wrote:
The seller accepting returns or not is irrelevant if the item doesn't show up in the stated condition.
This.
Ebay/Paypal will refund you if he doesn't.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:30 pm

Luls. No such thing as "no returns" on Ebay. The buyer almost always wins SNAD claims. Now if the listing never stated condition or didn't have pics of the condition, ya might have an uphill battle.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
BenRichards
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:45 pm

Recently sold an item to amerikan-015 who seemed sketch when they asked me,
Thank you for accepting our bid, and we hope this message finds you well.
Our payment will be completed shortly.

Going forward, kindly provide us with a tracking number when available (if you are using a trackable method.)
If not, simply notify us when you ship so we know it is on its way.

We also ask that you write the 12-digit eBay item number on the package for faster identification upon receipt. Please keep from including anything extra that is not part of the listing.
I looked them up and they seem like a reseller for people overseas, which is weird since my items are always available to anyone as I use the Global Shipping Program. Anyways, I say drymount it and don't cancel it even though I want to, because I don't want the negative feedback(I only have one negative feedback and it's from someone who bought something and never paid, then made a new eBay account, bought the same thing and I cancelled their order for never paying for the first one under their previous account). Anyways, I went ahead and complied, shipped the item with the item number marked off, no extras or anything. Everything seemed fine until this morning when I get a notification for a return from the buyer.

This is what it says:
Respond to return request

amerikan-015 let us know that they want to return item The Shape of Water James Jean art print giclee S/N #/1719 Guillermo del Toro for a refund.

See request details and be sure to reply to the buyer by Apr 11, 2019. Starting on that day, the buyer could ask us to step in and help by opening a case - this can affect your seller level.

The buyer requested a return, but you're not obligated to accept a return for this item.

Please take action by Apr 11.

Info from the buyer

Reason

Ordered by mistake

Comments

Hello, Thank you for sending the item in a timely manner. We're very sorry, but circumstances on our end have changed, so we ask that you please accept a return on this item in exchange for a refund. We will, of course, cover the return shipping cost. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. Kind regards, Shop Airlines Kai
Of course this says, "The buyer requested a return, but you're not obligated to accept a return for this item." however I am skeptical they can still leave negative feedback. I was recently laid off and funds are tight, so refunding this right now is not an option as I don't have that money readily available and there's nothing wrong with the item, it's not a case of NASD.. Should I be OK to deny the return, or am I pretty much screwed even though there was nothing wrong with the item outside of them having circumstances chance on their end? :pint:
Cragars wrote:Rainbow bukake won't ever make the wall.
ToonKiller
Art Expert

Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:56 pm

IMO feedback doesn’t hold the same weight as it once did. But if I were to choose a neg feedback i’d want to receive it’d be that I refused a return in the hopes future buyers would take note.
maddog76
Flipper

Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:01 pm

soupysound wrote:uhhhh. has ebay considered the upcoming changes to paypal refunds? this is gonna be terrible for sellers. paypal seller fees are now non-refundable during any transaction cancellation/refund.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/u ... icies-full
AMENDMENTS TO THE PAYPAL ACCOUNT USER AGREEMENT
We are updating the PayPal Account User Agreement for U.S. customers. These changes will go into effect on May 7, 2019.

We’re removing the flat rate pricing for sending money to friends and family members who have PayPal accounts in a country other than the United States and introducing a new variable fee of 5% based on the amount you send with a minimum of $0.99 and a maximum of $4.99 per transaction. We’re also removing any variation depending on the recipient’s country.
We are changing the currency conversion spread to 3.25% over a base exchange rate in situations where you are a sender of money in a PayPal transaction.
We’re changing how we treat refunds. If you refund (partially or fully) a transaction to a buyer or a donation to a donor, there are no fees to make the refund, but the fees you originally paid as the seller will not be returned to you.
I feel like this just means you have a credit for future fees, but you can't withdraw the amount. PayPal claimed there is no real change.

This seems very insane, you could send a paypal payment to competitor, request a refund cause it was obviously wrong, then your competitor get's stuck with fees?
sixstringer
Art Expert

Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:54 pm

Anyone selling goods via PayPal pays 2.9% commission on the sale, which will no longer be returned when giving a full or partial refund. The flat fee is set at $0.30, and has never been subject to refunds.

If a vendor sells something for $1,000 but the customer changes their mind, the seller has not only lost their buyer, they will have also lost $29.00 in the process.

https://www.techspot.com/news/79545-pay ... -arms.html
:roll:
sixstringer
Art Expert

Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:00 pm

^Obey better tighten up their oversell game. For that matter, if a person really wanted to stick it to a vender they could order multiples on purpose just to force refunds and burn their $$$.

What a real fudge policy change.
geezer
Art Expert

Tue May 21, 2019 9:50 pm

Anyone use global shipping from ebay? A customer from Portugal wants a poster shipped there. I have never used their global service, so looking for a little advice. thanks.
Cbjornson
Art Expert

Tue May 21, 2019 10:25 pm

geezer wrote:Anyone use global shipping from ebay? A customer from Portugal wants a poster shipped there. I have never used their global service, so looking for a little advice. thanks.
All the time. Easiest thing ever. Once it arrives safely in Kentucky it’s no longer your problem. Any open cases/negative feedback are automatically reversed if there’s issues after it leaves the GSP facility. Plus it costs you literally nothing. Win/Win
maden wrote:Never apologize on the internet.
gonzo303 wrote:This is Gonzos mom