The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:12 pm

Well I ain’t payin’no fifty cents for no coke

Ha ha, well you ain’t gettin’ no coke
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:30 pm

Right? I mean, I wonder if these people do the same thing in local shops. lol. Go up to a sales person at Best Buy and say "excuse me sir, you have this TV priced at $2,000. I only want to give you a thousand for it. That's cool, right?"
So it goes...
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:43 pm

Haven’t been in a Best Buy in years but I don’t think they put “or best offer” on their price signage.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
ctjeepguy
Art Enthusiast

Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:45 pm

You'd first have to find one
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:45 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:Haven’t been in a Best Buy in years but I don’t think they put “or best offer” on their price signage.
Did his listing have best offer turned on? The way i read it, he had buy it now for 500, and the guy messaged him with the lowball.
So it goes...
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:31 pm

LeeKaye wrote:

Always amazes me when potential buyers antagonise me over repeated messages and expect me to give them good deals as well.
I had some clown send me a lowball offer on an item recently with a note saying that the item wasn't even selling for cost. I responded that he should have no problem finding one at the price he wanted then. If they are everywhere why hit up someone that's priced higher? Item sold for full price later that same day.
I'm not someone else.
LeeKaye
Art Expert

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:21 am

GoBluePanic wrote:
LeeKaye wrote:

Always amazes me when potential buyers antagonise me over repeated messages and expect me to give them good deals as well.
I had some clown send me a lowball offer on an item recently with a note saying that the item wasn't even selling for cost. I responded that he should have no problem finding one at the price he wanted then. If they are everywhere why hit up someone that's priced higher? Item sold for full price later that same day.

Yep. Always a good thing. I had listed something at 500 quid. It was a rare item, easily worth it. Someone offered 250. Then 100, then 99 pence.

It sold at 500 about 48 hours later.
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:49 am

What's the best course of action when someone doesn't pay on an accepted best offer?

If they are this flaky I probably don't want to risk sending them something that will inevitably cost me in the end.

Does canceling a transaction for "item not available anymore" count against me?

:cheers:
I'm not someone else.
guryter
Art Expert

Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:27 am

Pretty sure after 3 days of non-payment ebay will auto open a non paying bidder claim. Then after another few days it'll close and you'll get fvf back, you can then relist.

Or something close to that.
Stingers wrote:If you can't get it up eat less fudge, excersise and stop being a kitten.
john38103 wrote:All gin every thing. drymount all you hoes.
Relax, I honestly don't give a fudge.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:45 am

I have it set so that ebay automatically opens an unpaid item case after 48 hours of non-payment. After 5 business days you can close it and get credited your final value fee.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
cotis
Art Expert

Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:56 am

Kramerica wrote:I have it set so that ebay automatically opens an unpaid item case after 48 hours of non-payment. After 5 business days you can close it and get credited your final value fee.
SpaceYourAntelope
Art Connoisseur

Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:37 pm

mfaith wrote:Right? I mean, I wonder if these people do the same thing in local shops. lol. Go up to a sales person at Best Buy and say "excuse me sir, you have this TV priced at $2,000. I only want to give you a thousand for it. That's cool, right?"
Did you really just try to compare eBay to Best Buy? In the right environment, haggling is perfectly acceptable, and part of our culture (at least where I was raised...) Replace Best Buy with a guy selling a TV on craigslist for a more accurate comparison, and you're damn right im gonna offer him 50% of his highly inflated asking price to start the negotiation process. If you're the kind of guy that pays sticker price on a used car lot than you've got a lot to learn bud :wink:
mlinderer
Art Expert

Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:52 pm

Could use some advice on a recent vinyl record sale through ebay. Buyer is being a pain in the ass.

Buyer offered $35 for a 8" single and I accepted. I shipped and then recently received a note saying it arrived damaged due to my packing method. It was an 8" record so there wasn't necessarily an off the shelf record mailer for this so I had to improvise. Buyer said some of the painters tape I had used to hold the mylar sleeve down inside the 12" mailer became stuck to the paper sleeve. He sounded frustrated, but wanted to works something out to avoid leaving me negative feedback. I suggested he pick one of three options... (a) return record for full refund, (b) return record and I'll send him a replacement since I had a second one, (c) partial refund based on the how bad the damage actually was. He chose option (c) and he said he thought $10 would be appropriate for the damage he was expecting once he pulled the rest of the tape off. He then proceeded to remove the rest of the tape that was there and then said "it wasn't really that bad, just refund what I thought was appropriate". Seeing the pictures below, I said it did not appear to be as bad as he was making it out to be so I refunded him $5. He then responds with "that's all you're wiling to refund? it went from a NM to VG". I've yet to respond, but really want to tell him to piss off because even from before placing an offer on the item he was trying to build a case for offering less than what I wanted to sell for. I don't want to risk the negative feedback over a stupid sale like this, but I feel I need to hold my ground out of principle because I feel like this is a frivolous request to begin with. It's not something I would have raised a stink about myself if I would have received the item the way it was.

Here are his actual photos of the damage
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
Kramerica
Art Freak

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:58 am

I would tell the buyer that's what you are comfortable refunding and if that isn't satisfactory, he can choose one of the other two options provided (return or exchange).
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
tourist504
Art Expert

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:01 am

Kramerica wrote:I would tell the buyer that's what you are comfortable refunding and if that isn't satisfactory, he can choose one of the other two options provided (return or exchange).
Vinyl collectors can be real dipshits. And the worst part is most of them are relatively new to the hobby so they have unreasonable expectations and a newfound sense of entitlement.
maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.
BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.
jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.
Imagex6