The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
zeuscarver
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:44 pm

soupysound wrote:
zeuscarver wrote:buy shipping through ebay, big discount through their portal
it's the same as the USPS online rate... but it's convenient nonetheless. they say it's an "ebay discount" but it is just the USPS online discount.
Have you done this recently and seen similar pricing? Recently I shipped thru USPS site directly and it felt higher to me..but maybe they don't fool me with marking it as a 'discount' on that site directly.

either way, cheaper online, save dat scratch for more limited paper
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:54 pm

zeuscarver wrote:
soupysound wrote:
zeuscarver wrote:buy shipping through ebay, big discount through their portal
it's the same as the USPS online rate... but it's convenient nonetheless. they say it's an "ebay discount" but it is just the USPS online discount.
Have you done this recently and seen similar pricing? Recently I shipped thru USPS site directly and it felt higher to me..but maybe they don't fool me with marking it as a 'discount' on that site directly.

either way, cheaper online, save dat scratch for more limited paper

potential difference could be whether or not you receive Commercial Base pricing or Commercial Plus pricing. $.02.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:28 pm

Should anything be thought about youve sold something to an ebay user within the past week, you go to print the label, and it says "this user is no longer registered on ebay"
Prior to that they had a couple hundred feedback all positive. Anything shady here or just business as usual?
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:36 pm

well, if they are no longer registered, you cant have any problems. you can ship with no problem, i would think. you could also probably not ship at all, and have no problem (not that i am recommending that, and considering a PayPal claim could be a whole different issue).

not sure how strict eBay has gotten with pulling accounts, but might assume that if something went wrong they could come back?
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:41 pm

halftonegraphics wrote:well, if they are no longer registered, you cant have any problems. you can ship with no problem, i would think. you could also probably not ship at all, and have no problem (not that i am recommending that, and considering a PayPal claim could be a whole different issue).

not sure how strict eBay has gotten with pulling accounts, but might assume that if something went wrong they could come back?
I guess my concern comes from maybe the person got an account hacked? And I ship to a different address? Then the person who got their account stolen files a claim, and I've lost the posters and the money? Don't know how plausible that is though.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:43 pm

worst case, contact eBay. if that is the said case, i would assume eBay would cover both ends, as you did everything needed as a seller.

1xRun Referral
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:42 am

Could very well be a "hacked" account. Some EBer bought from me with a compromised account a few weeks ago. If that is the case, ya should get a message from Ebay.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
mattkardish
Art Expert

Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:24 pm

don't know why people post posters for sale and then say it's never been taken out of its original mailing tube like it's a good thing, esp if it's been a few years
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:34 pm

mattkardish wrote:don't know why people post posters for sale and then say it's never been taken out of its original mailing tube like it's a good thing, esp if it's been a few years
"mint in original tube," brah
doesn't get any more mint than that

when I was still buying prints, I'd immediately pass by any listings featuring corner weights in the photos
soupysound
EB Team

Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:04 pm

is there an easy way to notify ebay of a shill bidder on an auction?

i tried to talk with the seller about blocking the user but they don't want to.
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:14 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:Should anything be thought about youve sold something to an ebay user within the past week, you go to print the label, and it says "this user is no longer registered on ebay"
Prior to that they had a couple hundred feedback all positive. Anything shady here or just business as usual?

I had something like that come in from a low feedback buyer who had already paid. Something about the account being suspended for suspicious activity. She also sent more money friends and family for a second print. Ebay didn't notify me until after both were shipped. Made me a little nervous, but she immediately sent me a message and has since verified they were delivered. Getting that money out asap though
Philpenn
Art Expert

Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:20 pm

soupysound wrote:i tried to talk with the seller about blocking the user but they don't want to.
Due to it being them.
applehead
Art Expert

Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:17 pm

Does anyone else occasionally have a non-working "Add to Watchlist" on Ebay? Seems random here but there are simply some items which i can not add to my list. Curious if its just me
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:22 pm

Your fudge is prolly full.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
applehead
Art Expert

Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:36 pm

Codeblue wrote:Your fudge is prolly full.
Thx for the reply. I should have noted that my watch list is nowhere near full (I think full is 300, and I have less than 100). It's as if the link that is loaded to the html doc is broken. I should try some other browsers. Just weird that it works fo some items and never for others. I'll post some links to listings that do not working for me:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172496752696?item=172496752696
http://www.ebay.com/itm/282335887402?item=282335887402

I can watch other items by these users. I can't find rhyme or reason.