The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about anything here. Post lifespan is 1 year.

Postby jjttdw on Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:08 pm

Mapman wrote:I sent an offer of $100 on a $135 BIN, was hoping to get it for around $110-115. The issue here isn't the offer amounts, it's the complete silence from the seller, why list it with Best offer, if you aren't going to respond.


That is not lowball IMO. The dude that send me an offer was at around 40% of BIN.

Maybe the seller is negotiating with someone else and doesn't want to respond to you until he knows whether the other deal will close.
User avatar
jjttdw
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 4809
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:45 pm
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart

Postby halftonegraphics on Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:22 pm

ccsmd598 wrote:
Mapman wrote:I sent an offer of $100 on a $135 BIN, was hoping to get it for around $110-115. The issue here isn't the offer amounts, it's the complete silence from the seller, why list it with Best offer, if you aren't going to respond.


If you're using the mobile app to create a listing, E-bay has been defaulting all BIN listings w/best offer - there's no way of removing it unless you use the desktop site (unless the problem is only with iPhone). But still, it takes about 5 seconds to send a response.



not just mobile. they are doing it with all newer/non-veteran accounts. and it doesnt appear that you have the option to disable it.

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 7.21.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 7.21.02 PM.png (56.58 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
User avatar
halftonegraphics
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 15245
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:10 pm
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral

Postby LeeKaye on Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:48 am

Mapman wrote:I sent an offer of $100 on a $135 BIN, was hoping to get it for around $110-115. The issue here isn't the offer amounts, it's the complete silence from the seller, why list it with Best offer, if you aren't going to respond.



If I list anything best offer, I don't respond or reply with a counter offer. I leave it for a while, see what offers come in and then accept what I am happy with. Conversely, if I see something I want. I sit back, have a think and go in with my best offer usually. If I play games and try and haggle, then it could be sold to someone else.

I think it's just different approaches. I mean why don't you go in with your best offer to start with? I've never been one for haggling to be honest, so I think I am probably doing it wrong. It's just different strokes. *shrugs*
User avatar
LeeKaye
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1923
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:50 am

Postby Mapman on Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:39 pm

I guess I just view Best Offer as a way to haggle to a price. Apparently I'm in the minority in that thinking. I :neutral:
User avatar
Mapman
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3921
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:00 am

Postby canuck on Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:00 pm

This new layout on the desktop makes me wanna throw my computer through the window.
User avatar
canuck
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 10831
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:23 pm
Location: US of A
Image Image Image Image

Postby mfaith on Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:07 pm

Image
User avatar
mfaith
EB Team
 
Status: Active
Posts: 42406
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:50 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Image Image ImageImageImage

Postby cotis on Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:15 pm

canuck wrote:This new layout on the desktop makes me wanna throw my computer through the window.


yep drymount that.
User avatar
cotis
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:03 pm
Location: USA

Postby davemfan on Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:38 am

Mapman wrote:I guess I just view Best Offer as a way to haggle to a price. Apparently I'm in the minority in that thinking. I :neutral:

I agree. I find being a seller that offers BIN that i have the total opposite of your experience. The buyer will send an offer, i counter, then silence or they decline. They rarely try to counter my counter. I guess they truly submit their best offer from the get go? Who does that?
User avatar
davemfan
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 886
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:27 am
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Postby PLUSH on Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:11 pm

First time, long time.

Netherlands. Tracking shows

Attempted Delivery - Item being held, addressee being notified

then later in the day: Delivered

He says he didn't get it. He already wants his money back. :roll:

I told him to contact his local post. He told me I needed to contact them. :hanging:
User avatar
PLUSH
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 7173
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:43 pm
Location: TEXAS

Postby ToonKiller on Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:04 am

I stopped shipping internationally because of this.

I never looked into the Global Shipping Program cause I don't trust EBay. But I do like the idea of if something like what happened to Plush happens that EBay is on the hook to reimburse the buyer. What are the downfalls of the GSP other than risking bad feedback because of what they buyer pays in shipping fees?
User avatar
ToonKiller
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1782
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:24 pm
Location: High Plains Drifter

Postby bert on Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:19 am

If the address is confirmed in PayPal and tracked delivery shows delivered, I'm not sure how there's much you can do. Buyer should be raging at his post office, not you.

It's not an international shipping problem though, same fudge can happen in any country. I don't get limiting your market if you want to sel for a high price. It's pretty safe to ship to a lot of intl countries. I tried buying posters off a guy in France recently and he didn't want to ship international as "he didn't have time to fill out the customs paperwork" (which takes all of 4 minutes). I'd have paid 3x what he sold them for, so it seems shortsighted to me.
User avatar
bert
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1606
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:36 pm

Postby iwokeinrelief on Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:15 am

ToonKiller wrote:I never looked into the Global Shipping Program cause I don't trust EBay. But I do like the idea of if something like what happened to Plush happens that EBay is on the hook to reimburse the buyer. What are the downfalls of the GSP other than risking bad feedback because of what they buyer pays in shipping fees?

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that EBay would remove negative feedback for shipping/customs fees if the item went through GSP.

Only real drawback is that it is expensive for the buyer, and that is understood by a lot of international buyers, so using GSP can cause you to not receive bids from buyers who would otherwise be interested.

Personally, I use it on all auctions, and have zero complaints as a seller with it.
User avatar
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1842
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:04 pm
Location: DALLAS

Postby jjttdw on Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:05 am

I use GSP. It seems decent as a seller since eBay seems to take some of the risk: They inspect then ship internationally so if it arrives damaged it is on them. If it doesn't arrive, isn't it on them too??

Halftone would know.....a more useful source of eBay info than anyone at eBay.
User avatar
jjttdw
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 4809
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:45 pm
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart

Postby ciphe on Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:31 am

iwokeinrelief wrote:
ToonKiller wrote:I never looked into the Global Shipping Program cause I don't trust EBay. But I do like the idea of if something like what happened to Plush happens that EBay is on the hook to reimburse the buyer. What are the downfalls of the GSP other than risking bad feedback because of what they buyer pays in shipping fees?

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that EBay would remove negative feedback for shipping/customs fees if the item went through GSP.

Only real drawback is that it is expensive for the buyer, and that is understood by a lot of international buyers, so using GSP can cause you to not receive bids from buyers who would otherwise be interested.

Personally, I use it on all auctions, and have zero complaints as a seller with it.



The GSP is very expensive for overseas buyers, but as a seller it's a no brainer for me. eBay will retract all negative feedback and compensate for any damaged or lost items in transit. The only negative is that a lot of buyers will lowball offers to offset the added fees.
User avatar
ciphe
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1274
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:51 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Postby jjttdw on Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:19 pm

^^I've found that our European brothers and sisters pay higher prices for my garbage than Americans. I may start adding language about GSP though.
User avatar
jjttdw
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 4809
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:45 pm
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Goes



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests