The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:38 pm

ID's for donkey list please
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:25 pm

davemfan wrote:
Philpenn wrote:Have a winner of one of my print auctions saying they're not paying because they thought they were bidding on the original. Sure, except I have print in the title and the original sold for ten times the price nearly a decade ago.
nice. i had a guy once send me a message after winning saying he was drunk when he bid and he's not paying because he does not want it. Best just to file a non-paying bidder claim and move on.
In a situation like this, isn't the seller allowed to make second-chance offers to non-winning bidders?
haven
Art Expert

Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:12 pm

I had something on ebay with a BIN and free shipping. Someone from Australia contacted me, asked if I'd ship there, I gave them the price for priority or first class and added the extra onto what I had it listed for. The person then says his father is going to pay for it with his ebay account, so I message the father with the offer, he buys it but it's now been 3 days with no payment. This morning I get a message from the son saying they're still waiting to be able to purchase it. And just now I get this message

Hi, my father and I tried to pay via his eBay account *****. I sent you a message via his eBay saying that eBay wouldn t allow the transaction because there was no shipping listed. Therefore you needed to send a listing for the price ($125) plus the shipping ($13). Could you please send that to ***** so we can pay for it as we tried paying for it but eBay would not allow the transaction. Many thanks.

Does that make any sense? I put 0.00 for shipping in the offer since it's free shipping. Plus I never got any message from them that ebay wouldn't allow the transaction.

Thinking I should walk away from this one.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:21 pm

NOPE
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
cotis
Art Expert

Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:24 pm

lost a playstation 2 that way many moons ago. :hanging:
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:25 pm

cotis wrote:lost a playstation 2 that way many moons ago. :hanging:
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
haven
Art Expert

Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:37 pm

I had told them I'd only ship to the address of whichever one of them paid, but something still felt off.

All right, time to cancel.
DickButt
Art Expert

Wed May 03, 2017 7:45 pm

Do people just not read item descriptions anymore? I get more and more messages with questions that are clearly answered in the description and its so hard to not make them feel like an idiot when responding.
virtualj
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 03, 2017 7:56 pm

DickButt wrote:Do people just not read item descriptions anymore? I get more and more messages with questions that are clearly answered in the description and its so hard to not make them feel like an idiot when responding.
Mobile vs desktop is a much different experience
I donate anonymously.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed May 03, 2017 10:42 pm

#timewasters
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Thu May 04, 2017 12:35 am

virtualj wrote:
DickButt wrote:Do people just not read item descriptions anymore? I get more and more messages with questions that are clearly answered in the description and its so hard to not make them feel like an idiot when responding.
Mobile vs desktop is a much different experience

pretty much this. the mobile/app makes you work to view everything. i drymounting hate it personally. if i browse on my iphone, always make sure to view as a desktop and not in the app.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
haven
Art Expert

Thu May 04, 2017 2:17 pm

haven wrote:I had something on ebay with a BIN and free shipping. Someone from Australia contacted me, asked if I'd ship there, I gave them the price for priority or first class and added the extra onto what I had it listed for. The person then says his father is going to pay for it with his ebay account, so I message the father with the offer, he buys it but it's now been 3 days with no payment. This morning I get a message from the son saying they're still waiting to be able to purchase it. And just now I get this message

Hi, my father and I tried to pay via his eBay account *****. I sent you a message via his eBay saying that eBay wouldn t allow the transaction because there was no shipping listed. Therefore you needed to send a listing for the price ($125) plus the shipping ($13). Could you please send that to ***** so we can pay for it as we tried paying for it but eBay would not allow the transaction. Many thanks.

Does that make any sense? I put 0.00 for shipping in the offer since it's free shipping. Plus I never got any message from them that ebay wouldn't allow the transaction.

Little follow up to this.

So I cancelled this, never could shake the vibe that something was wrong. Waited about a week to relist and then immediately got a message from another Australian, again from Canberra, asking if I'd ship there and I said no. Yesterday the print sells, to the same guy I just said no to, but now he has a Portland address. So I tell him I find this odd, that I've already cancelled once due to another Aussie's strange behavior, and can he explain. Tells me he's a long time collector of the artist and he setup a forwarding address since it's the only way to get it down under. He then sends me another message saying that the transaction I cancelled was most likely his wife. Now that makes no sense since the person in the first transaction said they were going to have their father pay for it thru his ebay account. So I ask the new buyer can you tell me the name your wife would use on messages. No reply.

This morning I googled this address, 9455 NE Alderwood Rd, and all sorts of fraud warnings popped up. Not sure what their angle is since it's a fairly inexpensive print, but something's not right. If you keep a blocked list here are the usernames.

ricci17
liklik_octii
cyborgcitizen
PLUSH
Art Expert

Thu May 04, 2017 2:37 pm

haven wrote:
haven wrote:I had something on ebay with a BIN and free shipping. Someone from Australia contacted me, asked if I'd ship there, I gave them the price for priority or first class and added the extra onto what I had it listed for. The person then says his father is going to pay for it with his ebay account, so I message the father with the offer, he buys it but it's now been 3 days with no payment. This morning I get a message from the son saying they're still waiting to be able to purchase it. And just now I get this message

Little follow up to this.

So I cancelled this, never could shake the vibe that something was wrong. Waited about a week to relist and then immediately got a message from another Australian, again from Canberra, asking if I'd ship there and I said no. Yesterday the print sells, to the same guy I just said no to, but now he has a Portland address. So I tell him I find this odd, that I've already cancelled once due to another Aussie's strange behavior, and can he explain. Tells me he's a long time collector of the artist and he setup a forwarding address since it's the only way to get it down under. He then sends me another message saying that the transaction I cancelled was most likely his wife. Now that makes no sense since the person in the first transaction said they were going to have their father pay for it thru his ebay account. So I ask the new buyer can you tell me the name your wife would use on messages. No reply.

This morning I googled this address, 9455 NE Alderwood Rd, and all sorts of fraud warnings popped up. Not sure what their angle is since it's a fairly inexpensive print, but something's not right. If you keep a blocked list here are the usernames.

ricci17
liklik_octii
cyborgcitizen
Yeah, been going on for awhile
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/F ... p/24785054
https://badbuyerlist.org/buyer/b2c994fb0b56660f360c
Last edited by PLUSH on Thu May 04, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
virtualj
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 04, 2017 2:38 pm

This address is for a Gateway Express in Oregon. International buyers can get an American address from them, like the one above, each with a different Suite number. So, the international buyer uses this address to purchase from American websites. Their items are shipped to Gateway Express in Oregon, and from there shipped to whatever foreign country they are from.
*Legitimate overseas buyers use forwarding services. So do scammers. Just like eBay!

As long as you send to the address you are covered with eBay seller protection.
I donate anonymously.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Thu May 04, 2017 2:55 pm

virtualj wrote:
This address is for a Gateway Express in Oregon. International buyers can get an American address from them, like the one above, each with a different Suite number. So, the international buyer uses this address to purchase from American websites. Their items are shipped to Gateway Express in Oregon, and from there shipped to whatever foreign country they are from.
*Legitimate overseas buyers use forwarding services. So do scammers. Just like eBay!

As long as you send to the address you are covered with eBay seller protection.
Do you really believe this? Lots of bad buyers have filed, and won, claims despite the buyer shipping to the address in the order. Ebay seller protection is a joke.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH